My husband and I have for the last 10 years visited and stayed at Summerplace Inn, Cozumel between 14 days and a month. We have always been very satisfied, so clean and tidy, nice things to look at and a lovely pool. Situated at a quite road, close to the two largest super markets on the island with ATM’s, laundry and everything you need. Lovely outdoor kitchen well sheltered for the sun and any weather in direct connection to the pool area. A sweet harmonic little place.
Henny Watts and her family provide excellent service and we always felt welcome. The hosts, having the background from Canada as well as Denmark/Europe, understand what the visitors need and expect.
Summerplace Inn is absolutely a place we would recommend to others and we look forward to come back.
Alice and Kjell Glorvigen
Summers place Inn is like a 2nd home to me! I luv it. This year my family are visiting the hotel for the 2nd time. It was offordable and a huge bang for your buck. I have no idea what the people are talking about when they give terrible rates? I think the hotel is awesome. I felt very safe with my family there, and I can not wait to visit it again!
This was our 5th trip to Summer Place and we love it. We rent the whole place (condo upstairs and three rooms downstairs) and it works great for our group (grandparents, kids, grandkids), coming from Minnesota, New Mexico and Virginia. We make use of the downstairs kitchen almost every night to sit around the pool with 'ritas and guacamole. Summer Place is located on a quiet side street away from the cruise ship crowds, but only 2-3 blocks away from Margaritaville and all the action. We love going to the local grocery store - Chedraui - with fresh bolillios and tortillas. Since last year there has some some remodeling and upgrades to the outside area by the pool and it is roomier and very tastefully done. This year the maid cleaned our rooms spotlessly and left towel "animals" on our beds! Very cute. We feel safe there and it's easy to park and get around. It's a quick trip to the other side of the island to get to Chen Rio, one of our favorite underused beaches. It's a walk to the Zocolo, but we love walking through the local neighborhoods, versus the cookie-cutter restaurants on the ocean side, which can be fun as well. Summer Place is a gem situated in a local neighborhood and the hosts are so helpful with recommendations of things to do, and also calling pizza places if we need, because we don't speak Spanish, arranging taxis as needed to get back to the airport. We feel safe with the grandkids walking to the Zocolo or biking to town for fish tacos (bikes provided by Summer Place). We also use their boogie boards at the beach. Couldn't ask for a better place to stay!
This October's trip was our 12th to the island and our 4th stay at a Summer Place property. (There are two)
In the past, we've stayed at the Summer Place which is on 10th Av between 17th and 19th St and up from the Chedraui (think Super Walmart) a little ways. Our first visit was in 2000. Because of extensive remodeling to this property, the owners put us in the Summer Breezes Condos (managed by the Watts family) which are a few blocks further back into the Corpus Christi area of San Miguel. Corpus is actually one of the more upscale areas of town.
The Summer Place is a 8-10 minute walk from the Chedraui and 15 - 20 to the central square. The Summer Breeze is too far to walk comfortably, but we had a car anyway. Never had any issues with parking or "riff-raff" as indicated by others.
Having staying in various condos around the world, we're used to this kind of living and have come to expect certain things that were lacking. While no one thing listed below were deal breakers, the sum of them made for no more than an "OK" stay... thus the 3 / 5 rating. Past stays at the actual Summer Place were always much better.
- Spacious two bedroom condo with a full beds in both rooms, shared bath. Beds are typical of most Cozumel hotels/inns. (thinner mattress on a hard foundation. If you have back problems, seek higher-end accommodations)
- Complete kitchen with coffee pot, microwave, oven, gas cooktop, and big refrigerator.
- Nice little 4' deep pool, a shade small for our liking, but clean and well kept.
- Beautiful roof top common area with gas BBQ and washer/dryer. GREAT VIEWS of town, especially at night.
- Outdoor dining area with table right outside the unit, great for morning coffee and evening meals, though not private at all.
- Joe and Henny were amenable to our requests, always friendly and eager to please. They even gave us some children's DVDs to help us keep our young son occupied when we were taking one of our many siestas.
NEEDS WORK / IMPROVEMENT (none by themselves is a deal breaker)
- There are AC units for each room controlled by handheld remotes. All of the batteries in the remotes were dead when we arrived. None of them had their respective battery covers so the AAA batteries were constantly falling out. More than one remote failed to work properly therefore the room was either hot or cold with little in between.
- Coming to Coz through DFW/CUN/PDC and the ferry, we spent a good part of our day traveling. When we arrived, the unit was very hot inside and the AC units took more than an hour to cool the place down. We were hot, wet (from the heavy showers that day) and tired and it would have been nice to arrive to an already air conditioned unit. The shower also lacked a hanging curtain... we found one in a closet and put it up.
- There were no condiments in the unit to speak of. When you rent a self-contained unit, you expect to find non-perishable incidentals such as aluminum foil or plastic wrap, salt, pepper, a small variety of spices, paper towels, etc. We had to purchase all of this and consequently had to leave much of it behind when we left. Many of the dishes and silverware were put away (slightly) dirty and had to be washed before use.
- The TV connections in the front room were in complete disarray. The DVD player didn't work and we couldn't get any cable stations because all of the cabling in back was disconnected. I was able to fix the cable and Joe lent us a working DVD player. Again, not a deal breaker... just a bit of a hassle.
- There were no lamps in ANY of the rooms. My 8 year old son sometimes sleeps with a nightlight or low wattage lamp, especially in new places. The overhead lighting is more than adequate, but way too intense to leave on at night. We like to read in the evenings and there was either too much light or not enough. We watched more TV in our 8 days here than we usually do.
- If you scuba dive and bring your own gear, the area to rinse is small with only one hook. We often had to leave our gear hanging over the rail of our second floor balcony. We had a few things fall over the edge more than once.
- Even though we're not new to the island, we couldn't find any kind of island guide or frequently called phone numbers. We ended up using the Internet for most things, which worked out, but was a bit of a hassle to find as many Cozumel businesses have either gone under in recent years or don't have working web sites.
- In our 8 days there, other tenants / owners had two large events on the roof-top common area .. a 50th anniversary party and a wedding reception. Both had at least 30 people. We were NOT notified of either event and as such, had large groups of people walking past our door. One night, we had planned to cook some fresh fish we'd caught earlier that day up on the roof top BBQ, only to find out that there was a large party going on. My family was looking forward to this fresh BBQ'd fish for a week and had we known ahead of time that there was going to be a party, we'd have scheduled our fishing trip for another day.
The noise wasn't bad, the soft music they played was actually quite nice.
Again, no one thing above was a deal breaker and the price for the unit was right, but the culmination of all of these things led us to make several phone calls for help and more than one extra trip back to the super market for things we expected to find.
We would stay again at the Summer Place, which is being remodeled this year, but we'd have to think twice about staying at the Summer Breeze Condos. For the same money, I know of two or three other places that are as nice or nicer than these units and lack the hassle we experienced.
I hope these items were no more than oversights caused by the remodel at the other place.
My wife and I travel to Cozumel 3-4 times a year and have tried different places at different times. We recently stayed at Summer Place Inn and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It is located in a quiet neighborhood with an easy walk to downtown, and an easy walk to the dive shop that I use. The rooms our large and cleaned daily you can smell the freshness in the air. And the staff is very friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a quaint, clean affordable place you should look no farther than Summer Place Inn.
We have been almost yearly guests of Summer Place Inn since 1999. We stumbled upon this gem while looking for alternatives during the enormous rise in prices for accommodations due to the Millennium.
The rooms are large and modern (cleaned daily) with a king size comfortable bed, clock radio, bar fridge, fresh towels daily, free beach towels, free WiFi and cable TV. In the common area there is a lovely garden, a well-maintained large pool and a shared summer kitchen (outdoors) which is well stocked with breakfast items. One does have to prepare their own breakfast and do the dishes, just like at home! There is also large modern propane BBQ to grill the seafood which is readily available on the island.
Because of the common area, we have been fortunate to make and maintain lasting friendships with others who have enjoyed the Summer Place Inn experience.
Henny and her staff are gracious, hospitable and attentive hosts. They have always made us feel welcome and comfortable.
Summer Place Inn is situated in a upper middle income neighbourhood and is very close to 2 large modern super markets, and a 20-minute walk to downtown on recently much improved sidewalks and street lighting. The island has many fine restaurants which are very reasonably priced.
We hope to be able to return to Cozumel and Summer Place for many years to come.
Linda & Gord
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Not a convenient place to stay. AVOID. too close to riffraff, and bad part of town. I can't believe some of these other reviews... AVOID AVOID AVOID.