“Charm and Intamacy for the budget traveler”
Review of Flamingo Hotel

Flamingo Hotel
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
A TripAdvisor Member
“Charm and Intamacy for the budget traveler”
Reviewed April 24, 2005

My thanks to Tom and his staff for a most pleasant stay. Granted, it was the "off" season and so issues of other postings regarding overbooking and such was not a problem. This is a great setting, in a great location - a short walk to the Ferry and plaza. The room was nicer than the big hotel I was at in Cancún, and the food was outstanding. I ate both dinner meals there, and wish I had had more time to sample the menu. I was able to book scuba dives on a great boat at reasonable prices. My thanks!

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 18, 2005

I finished my open water scuba course in Playa del Carmen on April 16 and had one day left to dive in Cozumel, from which my plane was to leave on the 18th. I made the dive arrangements, took the ferry over to Cozumel, and had two great dives. Since my plane did not leave until the next day, I knew I would need a cheap but OK hotel.

I found this one in the French Travel Book, Le Routard. I asked the divemaster about it (she said it had a good bar) and decided to check it out when the dives were over. I was most pleasantly surprised -- a slightly off-season rate of $40, pleasant staff, a clean, perfectly adequate room with plenty of space, minibar, and good bed. Later in the afternoon I went to the hotel's rooftop balcony with a snifter of good tequila from the bar and smoked a Cuban cigar as I watched the sun set. Then I went down to the small restaurant in the attractive courtyard and had a delicious seafood dinner.

The location is especially good too -- it's three blocks from the main ferry dock area where the cruise ships let their passengers off, but it's close enough to that area to walk to the shops around there. It is also near to the local people. Directly across the street is a truly authentic Mexican cafe and lunch counter -- El Morrito. Be sure to try it.

I was really pleased with my staty and plan to return with my wife and spend a little time there next winter. It's not a Hilton, but it has tons more character.

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank glubglub
Chicago Il.
Reviewed April 16, 2005

VERY INTERESTING! Most as I have , seemed to have really enjoyed their time at the Flamingo Hotel in Cozumel . The Flamingo is what you might have thought Cozumel always Used to looked like but. . . .NEWS FLASH it never did...
This is a VERY COOL small Hotel . I began going to The Flamingo in 1992 boy have I seen it change over the years and ALL for the better BTW. The food is BTW Great and though we own a home on the island we still send refer folks, friends and family to use The Flamingo Hotel when we . . are full : ). AS recently as this past Feb. For "Carnival" btw. Why The Flamingo ? Because I know I can count on how they will be treated and I will not have any concerns for them or their trip. Its not for everyone . . .could be why there are other hotel's on the island Go Figure : )
IF . .. you need a 5 ***** compound . . .go pay for it as your not, going to be happy at the Flamingo Hotel. As for all the rest of us ??? Great place to hang out for a couple weeks wasn't it : )
Richard and Audrey
Chicago/Cozumel

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank Divecoz
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed April 10, 2005

Really nice, friendly staff. The penthouse is a huge apartment - a bit worn-down, but clean with good beds, fridge, kitchen and tv. Wonderful sunset view over the Caribean Sea. Food is fine as well. Spend four nights there. Just might go there again!

3 Thank JakobJensen
Reviewed March 16, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Flamingo during the week of March 8th-15th. Our stay was wonderful and the staff was helpful. The location of the Flamingo just a few blocks north of the main shoping plaza was perfect. The distance to the recreational areas, shopping, great resturants was OPTIMAL! Everything we needed was within a few blocks and the longest cab fare we took was $5. We considered staying out of town at first, but are very glad we decided not to. The Flamingo is on a quiet side street with little traffic and offers a full bar / resturant to top it off. We look forward to staying there again! The staff was very helpful in arranging our daily outings to the beach, shore diving, boat diving, car rental and hourseback riding. Fun stuff! Thanks for a great week in COZY-MEL!
Scott and Cari B

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 15, 2005

We booked 4 nights in March 05 based on the glowing reviews we read. We are not divers but wanted to try a hotel close to town for a change. We have been coming annually to Cozumel, Playa or Isla Mujeres for 10 years and have stayed in hotels ranging from simple beach cabanas, all inclusives, to 5 diamond reorts like the Presidente Intercontinental. For the price we paid at the Flamingo, we did not expect much. We were not prepared for the lack of basic ammenities and uncleanliness. We could not get our fan to work and could not turn the extemely noisy airconditioner on except at full blast.......all the controls were broken. We asked for help but no one came. Our sheets were stained with what looked like menstrual blood and the matress was very old and uncomfortable. There was barely any water and it was cold. There was a very noisy party going on just outside our door in the common area and we were awake until dawn. The breakfast was cold and served by a very unfriendly waitress. We had rented a jeep at the airport the day before and waisted no time finding another hotel. We checked out by 3pm and never even considered asking for a refund. You may want to see this place before booking a night.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Flamingo Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2005
We welcome all comments and suggestions from our guests. All the AC units do not have controls because the system is configured with an on/off switch with the controls preset. This is to prevent any problems for the guest who wants to figure out the settings. We have recently been making in room improvements to the hotel such as new beds, new ceiling fans, new quieter ac units, new plumbing and light fixtures etc., but we cannot do all of these while the hotel is full. At present, all cieling fans have just been replaced with new modern ones shjpped from the states and each room has a new mattress. We will soon be installing in room safes as well as fridges to increase the convenience and comforts for our guests. Additional improvement will include completely remodeled rooms with new furniture, upgraded linens, and voice mail for our guest room. All of this is in our long term commitment to provide a better quality stay for our guests. We did have a few spring breakers staying at the hotel, but we do not allow any loud parties and we have 24 hour security to enforce this.