WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Flamingo Hotel

Flamingo Hotel
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Cozumel
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A Charming Undiscovered Jewel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Already planning a return trip to stay at this charming little boutique hotel. I loved, loved, loved that it was just 2 blocks off the main square and a half block off the water. Convenient to lots of restaurants and shopping, yet quiet.

The staff is a large part of their success. Ivan at the bar makes a mean Mojito, Adrien at the front desk takes care of all the small details that need tending. Elizabeth takes wonderful care of the rooms leaving a different towel animal on your bed each day and for those of you lucky enough to book directly and get a full breakfast, you'll be well taken care of by the breakfast staff. By the second day, they were able to anticipate our groups' needs and be sure and try the coconut french toast - yummmmmy. Tom is the American owner and he is quite hands on and around the hotel often.

Each room is different but stay in a Superior room if you are travelling as a couple - they have a small refrigerator in each room. If you need two beds in a room, you'll be staying in the Standard rooms or splurge and rent the Penthouse - it is amazing.

There is no pool here but who needs it when you can go to one of the local beach clubs nearby and swim in the gorgeous blue Cozumel water or if you stay in the Penthouse - hop in the jacuzzi tub that is out on the veranda.

We enjoyed ourselves so much, we are making a return trip this fall (something we don't usually do). The rates are a bargain - the dive operation they set you up with is amazing and provides lunch so while you are there you really just have to buy dinner - how cool is that?

Counting the days until I return. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pam F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is a great, comfortable, convenient hotel. The staff provides excellent service. This was the second time we stayed here and highly recommend it! We love the decor in the rooms, the bar and throughout the hotel. Make sure to check out the view from the rooftop. We will stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel was awesome! I went with my boyfriend to Cozumel for a couple days and we stayed here. Upon arrival the front desk agent was awesome, he showed us different rooms we could stay in and let us pick our room. For the price the room is a steal! The room itself Was clean had Hot water, and was comfortable. The wifi downstairs was a great connection, great free breakfast and the staff let us park our rental car for FREE the entire time we stayed there. I know they don't usually do that, but they bent over backwards to make us happy. The front desk has two agents a father/son and they are awesome. They took the time to give us great beach recommendations, restaurant recommendations, and were very Friendly. The hotel is easy to find since cozumel is so small and it's walking distance the main plaza with great shopping /food. I would recommend renting a car to get out the more private beaches.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lana C
Magnolia, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I just returned on Aug. 6, 2012 from a 9 nite 10 day stay at Flamingo. My friend from Chicago and her granddaughter was there also. I am from Texas. Most amazing place I have been in lately. Warmn friendly staff from Tom, Shirley, Ivan , Adrain, Elizabeth, and the rest of the crew. Rooms great, no problem with hot water, fixed the rattle in AC myself. After the first morning we upgraded to hot breakfast and ate there the rest of our stay. We have friends that live there who are locals and they came a couple times and had breakfast with us. Ivan is the best thing going there. He is warm, friendly, fixes great drinks and can talk with anyone. Please Tom , dont let him get away from ya'll. I cant drink anymore and he fixed me all kinds of wonderful virgin drinks. I have been going to Cozumel since 1982 and I did not know about this wonderful little hotel. Do not be afraid to stay here as its great. The local place across the street has good food. They even brought it across the street to me. You are doing a great job there Tom. Will see you next trip... Maxine F. from Texas.

Room Tip: I think all would be good...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Magnolia_TexasMaxine
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was skeptical when the taxi pulled up to this hotel but the amenities are wonderful! The room (including the bathroom) was clean and comfortable, totally modern. I appreciated the complimentary breakfast (The cook/waiter is awesome!).
The only slightly annoying thing is that the older guy at the front desk lacks the skill to go "above and beyond." --- When I checked in, he told me my room is on the 2nd floor. When I asked for help carrying my heavy suitcase up the stairs, he replied "Well we don't have anyone to really do that but let me find someone." The next day when I asked him about my transportation to the dive shop, he insisted that I was to pay for the fare as it was not included in the price I paid for the diving. I had to show him my diving voucher to prove that I had paid for transportation to/from the dive shop. Finally on my last morning I asked that breakfast be brought to my room (The hotel information stated that this was an option.) so I could finish packing. Again he again replied "We don't really have anyone to do that but let me find someone." BOTH times the cook/waiter helped me.
Nevertheless, I will definitely go back and will definitely recommend this place to anyone who will listen. Of course I will also recommend bringing lighter bags in case the hotel room is on the 2nd floor.....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AsianAbroad
Louisville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is a lovely little hotel nestled in great area in downtown Cozumel... Staff was extremely friendly and helpful... Ivan the bar tender and host definitely deserves a raise :) Roof top nice view, room very clean and stylish and cool little hang out areas on each floor... My only complaint is that maybe the air conditioner worked too well... Thanks for the hospitality Cozumel!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a little family own small quiet hotel with comfortable rooms, breakfast, even a great bar with cheap drinks and a great bartender. The staff is always smiling and helpful, maid service is fantastic and even the drinks and snacks in the room fridge is cheap.. this is the best deal on the entire island and I will be back again this and next.....Terry, Texas Oilman

Room Tip: Not a bad room, even the suit is only like $140 a night and its HUGE...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family