Hotel B Cozumel
$168
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
$504
$454
All reviewshot tubmorning yogacevichescuba duday passbreakfast was includedocean viewsmall hotelno elevatorfourth floorthe hotel offersbeautiful poolhotel guestssandy areafishsea liferooms are nice
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a fairly lengthy review and it is a short version of an email I wrote to the management of Hotel B after we spent 7 nights there from July 29th through August 5th, 2013. I wanted to give the hotel a 4 star rating but it's not quite up to a 4 yet, although it is working very hard to be. The management has already sent me a lengthy and comprehensive email in response to my concerns and assured me that they are working through all of the issues that I mentioned. If I sound rather picky it's because this could be a really great hotel in the future and, in my opinion, should be an adults only because it is perfectly designed for such a use. Here's our take on Hotel B...

First, we enjoyed our stay. I would stay with Hotel B again for the following reasons...

- It is close enough to town to walk but it's easy to get a cab. Each evening we took a taxi into town and walked back after dinner.
- The front desk was always personable and helpful.
- The room was always clean and fresh and the room attendant always made sure we had fresh water and towels.
- The limited items for breakfast were good, fresh and prepared properly. The lunch items were good and ceviche was delicious!
- There were always fresh pool towels available at the front desk.
- It was easy to make spa/massage appointments and the ladies who gave massages were absolutely professional and gave a wonderful, professional massage (we had 2 couples massages).
- The hotel is beautifully designed. We enjoyed the minimalist feel and the clean, white design.
- The seating around the pool, beach and deck areas were comfortable and we never had a problem getting a lounger. Of course, I believe the hotel was less than full so I don't know how this would be during a busy time.
- The rooms (the ones facing the ocean) have great views and chairs - very comfortable.
- The dive company (Scuba Du) is a very professional company & provides pickup from the hotel.

There were a few issues... We realize that this was an older hotel that had been redesigned and renovated. The price we paid was far below the "rack rates" which made our stay acceptable but, if we were paying the rack rate, which I think were upward of $250 per night (posted on the wall behind the front desk) then I would have been more critical about the shortcomings of the hotel...

- The water pressure in the shower was erratic. One day it would be good and the next day it would be poor.
- The shower would have very hot water in the hot water tap and it would have luke warm water in the cold water tap -- sometimes no real cold water at all. Then, sometimes, we would have all luke warm water and no hot water.
- When the people in the room next door would turn on their shower (at least we are assuming that is what it was) there would be a loud squeal that would last the entire time they were taking a shower. It woke us up a few times.
- The beds and pillows are extremely hard. These really need to be upgraded to get a true luxury feel.
- We kept having to run down to the restaurant to get ice for the room. It's okay if you are on the 2nd floor but if you are on the 4th floor it's a long trek to make up and down the stairs. The restaurant staff said that we could call them and they'd bring up the ice, but many times we didn't want to wait for that. An ice maker on the 3rd floor would help this situation.
- As I stated above, the breakfast was delicious but it was very limited. Perhaps adding a couple of items to the menu like an eggs benedict, pancakes and/or a breakfast burrito would be nice additions.
- The restaurant staff are a wonderful bunch of people. However, many times it took too long to get the check. Nobody was in charge of watching the tables to make sure diners didn't need anything. The restaurant was not busy at all at any time we were eating. I'm sure that if the restaurant was busy then the situation would have been much worse. Designating a host or hostess to watch over the tables would help this out.
- The room needs a mini fridge. (Management informed us in our email that we could request one and they would be happy to accommodate. We didn't even think of asking (our fault).
- The grotto area to go snorkeling is great but the area on the rocks to walk into the grotto is slippery and a hazard. I had to be very careful stepping into or out of the area.
- Various floor tiles were cracked throughout the hotel. There is one particular one in Room 411 that has a large chunk out of it.
- The coffee packets in the room were strange -- the coffee was good but the packets were odd. One day the packet would have everything included (coffee, filter, 2 sugars, 2 creams, 2 stirrers) and the next day the packet would be missing 1 sugar and 1 cream, or a filter and stirrer (I actually made coffee one morning using tissues from the bathroom because I didn't have a filter). Whoever supplies the hotel with the coffee packets is supplying sub-standard packets.
- VERY IMPORTANT.... the WiFi in the hotel is very sporadic. The 1st day we arrived we had WiFi in our room and all over the property. For the next 7 days we had no room WiFi and had to go into the reception or restaurant to access our email. This may not sound like a big deal as we were on vacation. However, we also had to work and have access to emails. We always choose hotels with free WiFi so that we can keep in touch with our offices via Skype & email. Also, because the WiFi was so bad it took forever to book our dives with Scuba Du. Apparently they use the hotels WiFi connection for credit card charges and a 2 minute transaction took over 30 minutes and the credit card machine still wouldn't pick up the WiFi signal so we had to use an old fashion credit card machine.

We are thinking about coming back to Cozumel in November for another dive/vacation trip. I'm considering staying at Hotel B again as we did have a good time. The design of the hotel, access to town and the wonderful staff were enough to make me want to use the hotel again.

The management has noted our concerns and have indicated that we should see a marked improvement next time we visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz_Stelz
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Like someone else who reviewed this place, i almost don't want to give great reviews because it really feels like a hidden secret. I can't wait to get back here. The room was comfortable and our room view was beautiful. We started our honeymoon in Tulum and finished in Cozumel here. We had a lazy day hanging here at the hotel which ended up being fairly active. Snorkeling right off the hotel was a lot of fun (however when we were visiting there was a strong current: beware). Even though there is no 'traditional' beach, i'll take the reef and the outdoor area any day. The 'beach' had very comfortable seating and the pool was also great. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. This place is 10/10!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Suamy R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel B Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

Dear John F

Thank you for sharing your opinion about Hotel B Cozumel. A taste that has enjoyed your stay and I hope to visit us again soon and know the new property we are working on and the improvements we are making

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Hotel B is a great hotel. I almost don't want to write anything because I don't want people to fill up the hotel;). However, in all honesty, the service was impecable, the pool was perfect, the snorkeling directly in front of the hotel was devine, and the rooms were clean and well decorated. The hotel staff MADE this hotel!! That's for you Carlos (Alvarado), Fausto, Winnie, Wilbur, and Monkey Man. It's a great place for adults and for children, as long as your children are well behaved and you aren't two French people that just let them fight in the pool and never tend to them, but that was not Hotel B's fault. That was just bad parenting. Don't worry. I stopped them from fighting for you!;) In any case, I am planning to go back next year to Hotel B for my birthday and some more great diving through Scuba Du that has an office directly at the hotel run by the wonderful Roberto! You just can't go wrong with this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank HL27

Dear HL27

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I just came back from a one week stay at this awesome hotel. It was a great place to relax, enjoy great food and amazing view. The rooms are very comfortable and offer an amazing view. I was re-energized every morning by just looking at the ocean right from my bed! The staff are extremely friendly and always making sure you have everything you need... and they will even call you by your name, making you feel at home! :-) They have the best ceviche ever, you have to try them and do not miss out in trying their energetic drinks. I had tried a few different options of the energetic drinks that are made of fruit and vegetables... yummy and healthy. Now, the fun part... you can choose from relaxing by a great pool which is right down by the ocean, or go right into the warm ocean water. You can rent your goggles/mask right at the hotel and go out snorkeling in front of the hotel... you will be amazed with the life that exists under the water right in front of the hotel, great fish and I even saw a stingray twice. :-) I also had a little surprise and saw dolphins just passing in front of the hotel one day, what a treat. Anyways, if you are in Cozumel, go to Hotel B and you will be very pleased with it!!!! And finally do not miss out in checking out the work of local artisans in the hotel's reception area and doing the yoga they offer every morning.

Dayanne Leal

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dayanne L

Dear Dayanne L

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The view was awesome. The snorkeling was good. The breakfast and the service was terrible. The rooms were small but the beautiful view of the sunrise every morning made up for it. Cozumel does not compare to Isla Mujeres

• Stayed: January 2013
HotelBCozumel, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel B Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor.
It is great to hear that you liked the breathtaking view and the snorkeling, which are among the trademarks of Cozumel (plus diving, and the nice beaches).
Your feedback is also relevant for us to learn about your observations and continue improving. After reviewing your reservation, we realized that you stayed at our smallest jungle view rooms. 41 or our 45 of our rooms are ocean view, very spacious, with nice private balconies and spacious bathrooms. And 2 of our jungle view rooms are a smaller. I invite you to stay with us again in an oceanview room to enjoy the experience at its 100%! You will miss the beautiful sunrise but will enjoy the amazing sunset which is just stunning.
We really hope to see you soon at Hotel B Cozumel.
Best regards,