“Good, basic hotel. Beautiful grounds and gardens”

Villablanca Garden Beach Hotel
Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Peachtree City, Georgia
“Good, basic hotel. Beautiful grounds and gardens”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Not sure of our arrival time and didn't want to spend the money the first night for all inclusive, so we tried this place. Not a bad decision. The room was huge and opened to the courtyard and hot tub area. We were near the street so it was a bit noisy. Also, our room key never worked, the battery in the reading device needed changing, so we had to be let in to our room every time. Wifi was nice and strong

Room Tip: Stay in the back as far from the road as possible to get away from the noise.
1 Thank 3georges

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Finnish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We recently stayed at the Villablanca hotel in Cozumel and overall had a good experience. The grounds are kept very well and the hot tub is actually hot! We had booked through Expedia and had done the standard room as the superior was a $22 a night upgrade on Expedia. Upon checking in however we were offered between the two for $15 per night upgrade to the superior in cash only. I offered $10 a night which I think may have been pocketed by the staff but whatever we liked the superior room better anyways.
The hotel is not far from town and there are several places within walking distance. There is also very nice snorkeling across the street. The room was large and had a refrigerator which was convenient. The bed wasn't the nicest and I ended up sleeping on the couch/day bed two nights of our stay. We never ate at the hotel so I can't comment on that.
My only complaint would be the noise. We found it hard to get a good nights sleep between all the noise by the sliding doors/air conditioner. They also were doing some work on the property which i understand but the banging on the walls throughout the day made it impossible to take a nap.
If you have a car and just need a place to rest your head Villablanca will suffice.

Room Tip: Go with the superior rooms.
1 Thank riplash31
Oklahoma City, OK USA
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed at Villa Blanca for the 2nd time during the last week of January 2014. The first time I stayed in one of the basic rooms, this time we stayed in a superior room. The superior room has a King size bed, Plus what I would describe as a twin size daybed. Technically you could sleep 3 in a room. Two would have to share the King, and 1 more on the twin daybed/couch.

The rooms have a phone, though I had some trouble making local calls. The rooms have a very basic television, however there is cable and a lot of channels if you are looking to kill a little late night boredom. If you are reading this I'll assume you are english speaking: there were at least 5 english speaking channels.

The AC worked well, and there was a ceiling fan over the king bed. I was told by someone else that their room didn't have a fan.

There was also a small but reasonably sized fridge which we stocked with beer/soda/fruit/stuff. There's a full blown grocery store about 1 mile north on the main ocean road. It's within walking distance (well, some wouldn't consider 1 mile walking distance) however, you may want to catch a cab back if you are carrying groceries - it runs $6-$8 USD depending on the cabby (I paid $8 during the day, $6 at night...14 visits to cozumel, this is the first time I had any variance with cab fees).

There is also an OXXO (small 7-11 like store) about 1/4-1/2 mile south of the property on the same road.

I stayed in a ground level room. They were french doors which opened to the courtyard and we were about 20ft from the hot tub which was nice. I suppose if folks were noisy it could be annoying. However, this really isn't that kind of hotel. Most folks are diving or playing in some way during the day. Any partying at night tends to happen off property. A few folks, like myself will close the evening off by long warm soaks in the hot tub sipping drinks that have become ice cold in our room refrigerator shooting the bull with other visitors. There was never more than 4 people out there talking and they were a quiet crowd. If you are the kind of person that can imagine that being a great way to spend an evening, you'll fit right in.

I found no problem with the comfort of the bed. My friend who went with me had no issues with the day bed.

The bathroom shower water had no problem getting warm or even quite hot.

I did notice the sink faucet would not output hot water. It didn't bother me, but if that's something that would get your attention, I suppose it's nice to know.

Room safes: so some of the rooms have them, some don't. For the ones that don't - you can rent a safe/deposit box in the lobby for $5 for your entire stay. I've never had a problem with room crime, but it's a small price to pay. I don't know if the price is the same for folks that have them in their room. Most of the time you are paying for the lock that goes into them, so likely price is the same.

I suppose if there was something critical to say it would be about the sparse nature of the room. You won't find a dresser, or anything with drawers. There is ample closet room and a number of hangers.

I can't recall if there was a hair dryer in the bathroom, or a coffee maker. I doubt there was.

The room is a great place to fall asleep at the end of the day. It's clean, and reasonable comfortable. It is safe.

Location: for diving it is great. There are a couple of good shops right next door. I can easily recommend Papa Hogs, or Scuba Mau. However, there's a wooden pier across the street. Any shop can pick you up there, with no extra fee. So the shops next door are not your only options (Google Opal's Dream Cozumel - it's my favorite shop).

Location for eating: there are several options in walking distance - first of all a small place on the hotel property. I never tried it for anything but breakfast. For breakfast it was great. 2 eggs/toast/juice/coffee/bacon - $8. Some people book breakfast included...that's generally what you get...I think they call it American breakfast. There's also pancakes, french toast..I think those are $5. I had yogurt one day, can't recall the price. There's nothing on the breakfast menu >$8.

Across the street is La Hache open for dinner and lunch...down the street north is a hotel called Blue Angel, they have a nice bar and open air cafe. Right next door to the hotel is Papa Hogs. PapaHogs food is fine, but I find them to be just the tiniest bit pricey. Not much, maybe $1-$2 per item more than anyone else nearby.

Where you eat it on any of your meals is your beverage....1/2 liter bottle of water was $2 - $2.5. Sodas are the same. Beer's varied...$2 was available during happy hour one place, but $4 wasn't unusual to run into. Eventually we decided to skip softdrinks or beer for meals, and if we wanted a beer, we would wait till our late evening hot tub soaking ritual...the 6 packs from the grocery store were $5-6 depending on brand, so it made quite a difference.

In general we would spend the following on meals: lunch was about $10-12 that included say a burger and fries, or tacos...plus a bottle of water. For breakfast we eventually decided we would rather stock fruit from the grocery store in the fridge..yogurt that kind of thing. If we ate it at the place on property it was about $8. Dinner really depended where we ate...you would spend any less than $10-12 if you are going to eat as cheaply as possible around the hotel. I would say you could easily spend $40 per person on daily meals without any alcoholic beverages...or having anything particularly fancy.

Ok, that was a long explanation for location for eating...

Location for anything else? Well, there is shopping about a half mile south at the cruise ship pier. However, if that kind of shopping in your thing you should really go north about 2 miles to the Punta Lagosta cruise ship pier...better shopping up there. However, go on Sunday. Sunday doesn't have any cruise ships and the entire island is quite pleasant. If shopping plan it noon or after on Sunday. Since no ships come in, the island kind of sleeps in a bit...only a few shops are open sunday morning. If you go out for an early walk you'll see folks heading to church, that type of thing.

If you've never been you should look at renting a car and seeing the other side of the island. There's only a few things to do, mostly site sea the beaches, but it's nice.

At any rate, the hotel is nice. If laid back middle age travellers are your thing, you'll see lots of the same.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are a bit more roomy and have a nice view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank rayaa3
florida
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We spent a week in Cozumel at the Villablanca. We are SCUBA divers so the location is ideal with multiple dive shops literally next door. The location is between the old city and the new cruise terminals. Both within walking distance if you want to visit the markets and restaurants. It is nice refuge away from the tourist traps in Cozumel. The hotel is older but well maintained. They were going through some room renovations while we were there and were putting in a SCUBA equipment drying area. The rooms are spacious with lots of tile, including tile showers/tubs. It has a real Mexican charm. All rooms have refrigerators and their 'superior' rooms are nicely laid out with King beds. The grounds are nice with a pool, hot tub and private Tennis court.
The staff was very friendly, giving you a feeling of really being welcome... part of the family. There is a small restaurant on the premise that is wonderful. They were truly cooking for you! The margaritas and pina colada were the best we ever had and were plentiful sized. Their fish special was inexpensive and VERY TASTY! Make sure to try some of their local breakfast items.

The SCUBA was better than anticipated. We dove 2 tanks for 5 days. The reefs are in good shape and the tropical and corals were good. Nice large coral features to swim around in places and food tropical fish in others. We did see several Splendid Frog Fish which was a new fish for us. There can be several dive groups on a site.

If you want the new tourist hotels/all inclusive this is not the hotel for you. If you what real laid back Mexican charm that is a good value then this is definitely worth considering.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are very nice. 1st floor for divers with equipment is good. They also have several...
1 Thank Robert G
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We planned to spend 10 days in Cozumel diving, and chose the Villablanca as it was very affordable ($45/ night) and seemed to look great in the pictures we saw.

The hotel is conveniently located in between a couple of dive shops - Papa Hog's, Scuba Mau, Phocea, and one of the many Dive Paradise's - if you're diving with them, that is. While it is advertised to have a private pier, we had to pay $2 per day, per person to Dive Paradise in order to use the pier, as they apparently has claims to the pier or some nonsense. And that's them being gracious; one of the guys diving with us was not allowed to use the pier because he wasn't a guest at the hotel, and they made it a point to obnoxiously check that we had paid almost every day even when we paid in advance. It is just slightly annoying that guests have to pay to use the pier if they're not diving with Dive Paradise, but I guess the competition is really cutthroat in Cozumel. I just wish Villablanca would come up with some sort of deal for guests to use the pier for free instead.

Otherwise, the hotel is nice enough. There's a pool and a jacuzzi, and the premises are kept neat and clean. The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished, with plenty of pillows, chairs, and a day-bed to lounge/ sleep on. Housekeeping did a great job - the lady we had was very lovely. She'd leave flowers in the room, and fold the most gorgeous towel animals too. When we had checked out, and were using the spare staff bathroom to shower after our dives, she noticed and kindly brought us towels without us having to ask. She even helped me lug my suitcase, when it's definitely not in her job description, so kudos to her graciousness!

While Wifi is offered and free to use, it's mostly inaccessible from the rooms so we had to sit in the pool/ restaurant area to use it. The bathroom was big and nicely lit, but my biggest gripe were that the toilet didn't flush well.

We ate only once at the restaurant - the food wasn't that great; there are better choices around the hotel (e.g., La Hach that's across the street). A plain egg sandwich with a slice of cheese cost $5, and it was on two white slices of bread with a couple of slices of tomato and lettuce on the side.

The hotel is also pretty far from town ($6 cab ride), though it makes for a nice albeit long and leisurely walk. The first time we wanted to walk to the Chedraui Market, the guy at the front desk said it would take 10 minutes and we walked for over 30 minutes! They're helpful but generally clueless unless you speak Spanish.

Would stay there again if and when we return to Cozumel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gingerbreadoll
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have stayed at the Villablanca multiple times and plan to return. The two of us love the superior room which has gorgeous marble bathroom, comfy bed, fridge and small balcony with ocean view. There is a nice place to snorkel directly across the street. It's a nice walk to the Chedraui market in town. Great restaurants and several fab snorkeling spots all in walking distance. We asked the front desk about renting a scooter, and they hooked us up with a great deal. Arturo serves a very nice breakfast with great conversation and maybe even a brief Mexican history lesson. Nice pool and the hot tub in the garden is a great way to finish the day. The in-room safe was very convenient. We really love the Villablanca's gorgeous grounds, comfy and pretty rooms, great service, and relaxed vibe. Some reviewers have been unhappy with their Nemo's restaurant. Here's our take: most guests opt for a daily breakfast as part of their package, and the Villablanca does a nice, homey, cooked-to-order hot breakfast. Because of the location, there is not a lot of demand for dinner service at the restaurant. However, if you let Arturo know in the morning that you will be dining that evening, he will be able to have a nice dinner for you. We had the sirloin tips and a huge fresh fish filet with ajillo sauce. Both were delicious. We can't wait to return to the Villablanca!

Room Tip: A few of the second floor superior rooms do not have balcony screen doors. You will want one with a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SnorkelKollie
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was more than happy with this hotel. It was inexpensive, and yet the room was large, all marble (bathroom too!), with a very comfortable king-sized bed. The rooms overlook a garden and pool area. There is an on-site restaurant run by Arturo, who will bend over backwards to make and serve you the best he can from what he has. It is always fresh and clean. The hotel staff helped me secure bicyles from a very honest and helpful dealer. Everyone there was exceptionally gracious. We felt very safe, happy, comfortable, at home. It is close to diving and snorkeling as opposed to downtown or the resorts - so there is more of an old-town feel. If you book by Trip Advisor or Expedia, they give you a free upgrade next trip - which i guess means kitchen. We had a refrigerator and microwave option. I was delighted and suggest to anyone who doesn't want or can't afford a high end resort. : ) We used the bikes to get to snorkeling locations and that was great. To get to the hotel, it was $7 US from the ferry.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad one, but if there are Argentinian divers in the hotel, get rooms fu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple