Barracuda
$168
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
$504
$456
All reviewsdive paradisecruise shipno elevatorswim up barmega martsmall tvhotel guestsdaily maid serviceroom fridgeenglish channelsenjoyed my staysandy areabeach sidetacosecond weekfresh towelsla choza
Reviewed November 30, 2010

My friend and i got this hotel for like $50 on agoda.com
we booked the hotel for 3 nights....arrive friday leave monday morning
when we arrive to the hotel from the outside it looked horrible we started laughing because we taught we had gotten scamed by the actual pictures that are shown online on their website.we went inside and it was really nice right by the ocean, the room was ok size it had two full size beds that were not comfy at all i got a bad rash on my back because the sheets were so rough and they were supposly changed every night but i dont believe that was the case the restroom was small with a nice stand up shower. hot water was a big plus!it also had a like an open wall"closet" to hang your clothes and it had the most wonderful view to the ocean and pool..... since we arrive on friday around 2pm the music was super loud and there was so many people around and in the pool! im 22 so basically i was in heaven and ready to party! however i wanted to go sightseeing first and decided to leave the partying for that night....to my surprise i came back to the hotel around 7pm and it was so quiet, the music was very low and only like 3 people were by the bar, no one was in the pool....apearantly everyone who was there earlier was people from the cruiseship, since the no name bar has a main entrance it shares the pool and "the backyard" with the hotel....i decided to go out in the streets and it was the same thing! nobody around plus everything was so expensive, the beaches closed at 5pm. i went to the beach saturday and left sunday, no fun!!!...wont be going back to cozumel but will check out playa del carmen.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank bricif
Reviewed November 24, 2010

This hotel is a disgrace-everything is charged in US dollars and they then give you change in pesos-so a beer is 5usd -you give a 100usd and get change in pesos of 1140 pesos(rate 12/1)-they then for the next beer charge you 5usd but use the exchange rate of 15/1 when the original rate was 12/1-this is 25% surcharge-the cafe has no mexican bfst as it is owned by a turkish family and if you want huevos rancheros they tell you to go into town and next door to the south away from town is a fabulous mexican restaurant.
The rooms are old musty -lousy mattresses and couldn't care less manager,the staff were nice but couldn't do much.
My advice for 80 usd their is so much better value than this dump-although compared to Playa del Carmen everything in Cozumel is at least 30% more expensive as it is,as we found out,entirely in business for cruise ship passengers-who are fleeced unmercifully.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pedro101
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I are avid divers and thought this would be a perfect location to stay. It is right across the street from Mega (Which is as close as you will get to a Wal-Mart in Mexico.) It has a nice pool and the dive shop(Aldora Divers) picked us up at the dock out back. What we found out was, this hotel is party central. They play very loud music at the bar/pool in the back. Which is only about 10 feet from the back wall of the hotel. On Fridays, the bar had a DJ playing music from big speakers at a volume a deaf person could have heard. I felt the bass vibration in the floor of my room and this started at 10:00am and did not end until 9:00pm. Unfortunately for me, I was sick and could not leave the hotel. So for us late in lifers that don't drink or like loud music, it was not a good location. The only other complaint I had was the hard beds. I suggest you buy an egg crate foam pad from Mega unless you like sleeping on VERY hard beds. I do not think the restaurant was part of the hotel but I would not recommend it. The staff was slow and I got sick from the food.
On a good note, the management was helpful and friendly. The maids were wonderful and kept the room immaculate. The price was not bad. The manager had given us a little discount for staying a couple of weeks.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lyn0372
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Depending on what you are looking for, this may be the perfect hotel for you. For our family, it was fantastic. It was relatively inexpensive, had a great dive shop on site, they pick you up at the hotel, great customer service, close to town, and across the street from the "Mega" (a large Wal-Mart like store), which was great since we had a kitchenette. There was a wi-fi hotspot downstairs at the bar that we could actually get from our balcony, (but not sure that would be true for all of the rooms). It is not fancy and doesn't have a real beach, but had the things we were wanting in a Cozumel hotel. It met our needs perfectly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I just returned from my trip on 5/2/10.

NEVER NEVER book you incoming flight on 5/1/10...that is their Labor Day and it can take you double the time to clear customs with a severely reduced workforce at the airport.

We actually stayed at the Coral Reef Inn a very quaint private home with 5-rooms, each with their own bathrooms and a 3rd floor open air kitchen. Wonderful proprietors their...Jerry and Leona. Their place is within a 5-minute walk from markets and 10-minutes to the Baraccuda and the ocean front.

Hubby and I spent our entire days at the Baracuda after diving...there was no need to get a car rental since diving and rest is all we wanted to do. They are one of the few places on the island with free internet service. You can also use computers for 35-minutes for $1.00.

This property certainly offers the best location. Right across the street is a the Mega market and you are within a very short walk to old town Cozumel and all the restaruants, etc. It was very restful at the hotel and clean. They have a pool where you can take a dip and then they have a great ocean front where you can snorkle. Not the best snorkling but a safe place to swim and cool off. WATCH the entry steps...they are made of wood and can get covered with alge. We saw one person slip and fall. What a sorry end that makes to a promising vacation.

I heard from guests that the rooms were all remodeled after hurricane Wilma. They described them as clean and efficient, each with a small fridge. I cannot say enough about the location of the hotel though.

The good and bad part of the resort is the No Name Bar. The bar was created for CREW for the crew ship employees. It attracts a very international young set from the ships which makes it very interesting. The crowd constantly changes or it can be dead calm. The draw back is that you have to listen to the same 20ish music day in day out if you hang out on the beach. Not good for the over 45 group. Sundays, however, they play Mexican music which is muy bueno. No happy hour. Drinks cost about $3.50 for beer and $7.00 for rum drinks and $7.00 on up for the various forms of tequilla. Go across to Mega and buy your beer.

Take a taxi to the Money Bar. It is a hoping place with great snorkling that does have a happy hour from 5-7:00.

Dive Paradise is a great operation which has improved their safety standards since I was last their, however, you are always wise to watch out for yourself and your depth. We did encounter a few situation where some in our group easily went to decon by following the dive master and not the dive profile.

More on the property. They also have 2 rooms that have kitchens if you have that requirement. Be sure and ask for a room AWAY from the No Name Bar. The music stops about 6:00 PM but during the day it is loud. Bring bug spray and at least 30-50 sunscreen.

Mega market has great coffee and to die for pastries. They have a pizza and a sandwich bar there as well. The store is like a market and Walmart rolled into one. The prices are very comprable to what we pay here in the states for things. You can buy anything there so no need to pack the kitchen sink. I will say that you may pay a little more than usual for things like butter...can be as much as $9.00 for package if you buy organic. Fresh shrimp was about $15.00 per kilo (more than a pound) but well worth it.

If you need scuba repair we went to the shop at Villa Blanca. We had our regulator serviced and it cost $5.00 US. I asked what he charged for a regulator overhaul and he said $25.00 US. Do you know we have to pay in the US?

The exchange rate at Mega market was 12.7 pesos to $1.00 US. They accept MasterCard and American Express. If you go to the other market on the island you need ID along with the card.

One last word...Duty Free is not. The prices at the airport are really no better than what you pay at home. Buy it in old Cozumel...the vendors their are willing to negotiate. Always start at a half of what they are asking and then settle on a price from there.

Happy Travels from Evergreen, Colorado.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple