“Scuba Diving Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Wichita, Kansas
“Scuba Diving Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

Expect basics and you'll be ok. It is a clean, friendly hotel located right near the downtown square. Right accross the street from the downtown cruise ship pier. Several other Scuba Diving couples were staying there and did business with many of the downtown dive shops on Cozumel. We had a balcony and a stove top and fridge in our room. We were able to get food and supplies from a local store and cook several meals in our room. We also walked to restaurants in the downtown square as well as some just 3 blocks away that were local family restaurants where meals were $4.00.

Friendly staff. Clean (saw them cleaning rooms daily that were vacant), and basic accomodations. We will definately stay there again.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Casselberry, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2007

If you want a luxury hotel, this is not it. On the other hand, if you want a Mexican hotel, rather than the resorts, which keep you virtually a prisoner, you will find this quite satisfactory. The rooms have a small kitchen, a king sized bed and a double bed, and cable TV. The people at the desk speak excellent English, and there is a computer in the lobby which you can use for free. Breakfast, also in the lobby, consists of coffee, sweet rolls, and fruit. The floor tiles are worn, but clean. Everything of interest is in easy walking distance. The hotel is about half way between the cruise ship terminal and the dock for the boats going out for diving and to the mainland-- where you can see a huge Mexican flag. If you have a room on the front of the hotel, you can observe all this from your room. All the main shops and restaurants are along the street beside the sea or on some side streets. Most sell the usual souvenirs, luxury brand goods, but most of all diamonds and silver. Restaurants and fast food places abound. I suspect the best prices on all goods would be those away from the cruise terminal (I am not a shopper). The price is fantastic; however, you should check all the online reservation services as the prices vary considerably.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Jim32707
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2007

I would agree with many of the reviews. Great location in the middle of the action but also quiet. Within short walk of diving shops and pier. I used Aqua Safari which has its shop and pier just steps away. Good restaurants and shops fulfilling all needs very close by. If you are looking for a pool/resort type vacation look elsewhere. But for me I will return. My room was very clean and neat each day after diving which is a must. Staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank Carty52
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2006

Jun 22 to 28th I stayed at the Bahia. The hotel was very comfortable and I enjoyed my my stay. The rooms were clean, quiet, and comfortable. But mostly I was impressed with the staff. I will never forget the incident. I had been in conversation with a friend while unlocking my door. After entering a few minutes past and a knock came to my door. I thought it was my friend forgetting something. To my surprise it was a hotel maid holding $50 out to me to take. Nothing was said a but I knew I had dropped it and she was returning the money to its rightful owner. I was very much impressed with this integrity and honesty. We so often, in the USA, think of Mexico as being a place to be concerned with safety. But I have found nothing but the opposite on each visit. I wish I could feel as safe at home as I do when I visit Cozumel.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Jack-R-3114
North Liberty, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2006

We just got back from a week in Cozumel for a Scuba diving vacation, and stayed at Suites Bahia for the third time in 4 years. We keep coming back, because the prices can't be beat for that location! Great Chinese restaurant across the street (Chi), all shops and restaurants nearby, only blocks from the square. We never had to take a cab to get to anything else! The rooms are plain but very nice and clean. Excellent maid service every day. King size bed and ocean view for $78 plus tax, with large TV with satellite feed (english and spanish channels), full size fridge in room, comfortable sitting room, closet with lots of room for clothes. The staff was always friendly and very helpful and knowledgeable, with perfectly serviceable english. The computer in the lobby for internet use was a little old, but served its purpose. Breakfast included every morning was brought over from Casa Mexicana, included juice, coffee and tea, amazing pastries, fresh fruit, and toast. Overall, just a wonderful place to stay to be close to everything, and at a great price.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank EB_NL_11
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2006

Location is terrific, just a couple of blocks from the main square with, close enough to stumble home, but far enough that the noise isn't there. Barebones room. Sheets, towels and cable TV. That's it folks. Air conditioning worked like a charm. If you are looking for the Motel 6 of Cozumel, this is it. Clean, comfortable, enough of a breakfast to wake you up. For the value seeker, I would highly recommend this location. If you're looking for soap/shampoo, you might need to go to hotel with one more star.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank chillsnthrills
Mpls., Minn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2005

I stayed at the suites bahia in early Dec '05. My room had a balcony on the side street calle 3. It was a simple room, but was very clean and super convenient (right on the waterfront...across the street). I chose this location because it was handy for a week of diving. The dive boat picked me up each morning on the dive pier right in front of the hotel! There was fruit, bread, and coffee available in the lobby at 7am (included in the $49/night room price). The rooms on the waterfront side of the hotel were not yet repaired after the storm, but will likely be complete before 12/25. Advantages of staying here: convenient to: diving; restaurants; ferry boat to Playa Del Carmen; and central plazas. Disadvantages: long cab ride required to go to beach clubs (on south shore). Only complaint was that the AC was pretty loud.

• Stayed December 2005