“Safe & Friendly. A Great Value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Suites Bahia

Suites Bahia
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
SaintLouis, MO
“Safe & Friendly. A Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I just returned from another terrific week in Cozumel and my 4th stay at Bahia. The hotel is super clean, staffed by friendly people (that often speak English) and in a perfect location for me as I don't do the all-inclusive thing. My package included daily breakfast buffet at Bahia's sister-hotel, Casa Mexicana, and it was great as always and only a two block walk. Yes, Casa is newer and much nicer, but I like Bahia's old Mexico charm. But the hotel's wi-fi rocks and it is directly across Calle 3 Sur from The Thirsty Cougar (a great little corner-bar & grill) and a really nice coffee shop. I have read some complaints about the lack of hot water at Bahia, but one only needs to be just a bit patient. Run the water for 90 seconds and you will have all the HOT water you can use. It's true that on windy nights the room doors and windows can rattle a bit. But I just wedge a sandal or two in and all is well. And while it is true that Cozumel is an exceedingly safe island, security locks on the inside of all room doors would be a welcome upgrade. And while I am at it, some additional hooks in the shower stalls for swimsuits and dive gear would prove very handy. But all that said, IMO Bahia is a great value. There are literally
hundreds of great mom & pop restaurants, food carts, cantinas, and the usual "Hard Rock Cafe" establishments within a safe 15 minute walk of Bahia. If you are a Cozumel rookie, take this to heart: Don't hesitate to experience the local fare. The food on Cozumel is AMAZING. My personal favs are Guido's, Del Sur (fabulous Argentinian) and Los Otates. You can think of the latter as sort of Cozumel's version of White Castle - the more you have had to drink, the better the food is there and it's open until 4 am. And last but not least, if you get to jonesing for a burger while visiting Coz Wednesday thru Saturday (and only after 7 pm) go to the Hamburger House on Ave. 4 just south of Calle 3. It's a big stretch to call it a "house" because it is really only an open shack with a couple of barstools or a plastic table and chairs thrown into the nearby alley. But it is no stretch at all to say that the proprietor serves up one of the best burgers you will EVER experience. And he serves it up about 18 ways. SO GOOD!

Room Tip: I prefer rooms on Calle 3.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank doctormac83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Suites Bahia is indeed spotless and spacious. I only got internet in the lobby, but that gave me an excuse to hang out there and make friends with the concierge staff. They are very friendly. They gave me tips on where to eat and shop. On the last day, they helped me get a parking ticket resolved. (The concierge had told me that I could park outside the hotel but forgot to say that parking is for a limited time only. The manager came with me to the police station at my request and offered to pay for the ticket.) The Suites are located in the heart of downtown and come with a kitchenette in case you’re in the mood to cook. It’s the perfect place to stay if you’re on a budget and want convenience. And the buffet breakfasts at Casa Mexicana that are included are thoroughly satisfying – think smoked salmon, hot waffles, carrot juice fresh from juicer, and scrambled eggs upon request!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kay K
North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Nice place for the money. We stayed there for 3 days end of Feburary. It is not new, but it is very clean and comfortable for the price. It's a short walk to the square. the balcony's are great for people watching. A plus was it is right across from one our favorite places Thirsty Cougar.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was my first visit to Cozumel and I wanted to stay in the main town. I booked 24 hours before arriving for 5 nights. I would have stayed longer but I didn't realize Carnival was coming to town and the hotel was all booked out for the Carnival weekend.

Traveling solo I'm not very fussy about places to stay. I came to Cozumel to dive, dive and dive and didn't put much thinking into accommodation choices. My room was big (2 queen size beds) and clean. It could comfortably house family of four. Towels, soap, shampoo was replenished daily and room cleaning was efficient and quick, too. My room had an adjoining kitchenette with a big fridge and a microwave. There were even 4 sets of clean dishes and utensils. I like that as I coud just stock on groceries and easily fix myself a quick bite after coming back from diving in my room rather than running to nearby 'over-priced' bars and restaurants.

TV worked, WiFi was free and fast (!!!) The hotel actually made an effort and placed WiFi repeaters on all their floors so the reception was great throughout the whole hotel. The place has only a small reception area with an elevator and a snack machine. There is no restaurant on the premises but complimentary breakfast was in the not-to-far-away Hotel Casa Mexicana. BTW, really great breakfast, definitely worth the $4, or so, extra added to my day rate.

The location was great, near the center of the town, walking distance from the ferry, less than 5 minutes, manageable even with luggage. Lots of places to eat and drink nearby. Even a great coffee place right across the hotel entrance. The only problem was the noise, as everybody else mentioned before me. Usually from about 8-9pm to 11pm-midnight. Not too unbearable as I was on the 4th floor and luckily I had my noise canceling headphones so it was a non-issue for me;) But I would be careful the next time where my room is located. My room, and all the ones facing the side street (Calle 3 Sur) had balconies which was great for drying my diving suit every day.

All in all, a great place to stay, very efficient but a little outdated in terms of decor. Really a great place for a visiting diver(s) not counting on too many luxuries;) If I was visiting with my non-diving girlfriend, I'd probably look somewhere else.

Room Tip: As others have said before me, get a room on higher floors, away from the side street facing the noi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rich D
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was my third stay at the Bahia and once again I enjoyed my stay. It is not an extravagant property but a great value for central in town. Plusses would be a great central in town location at a lower end price, a king plus a standard bed, a refrigerator and a microwave and complimentary breakfast at Casa Mexicana which has a great buffet and omelet / eggs to order grill and a very nice and gracious staff who are always trying to please. The downside is noise, the standard balcony rooms face the side street of 3rd which has the ‘Thirsty Cougar’ bar, nice bar and I am glad it’s getting popular until 12-1 AM, but I get up at 5:30 to prepare for a 7:30 dive departure. Next time I will probably get a back facing ‘standard’ room or try their sister property ‘The Colonial’. The other thing in the ‘minus’ column is the internet connectivity, it is spotty and frequently locks up, this has been true each time I have stayed and also when I have stayed at the Casa Mexicana, not a real problem because there is now free internet in virtually every establishment on the island, including the Thirsty Cougar which can be picked up and 'hacked' from most rooms. All and all an excellent value location, I think of it as ‘premium dry wall camping’.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th floor room if get a balcony, it will help reduce the noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gopbroek
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our 4th visit to the island and was probably the best time of them all! We stayed for 10 days and everyday was a new adventure. The hotel is in the perfect location for those who want to get out and go. The location is on the strip and breakfast everyday is just down the block and a great way to start each day! We traveled into town to find the FOOD we had researched on Trip Adv and we LOVED every place we hit. El Billy's is a must the grilled meat platter he serves is the BOMB! The sweet grilled onions are a hit also. We ate at a few of the spots around the plaza and they were so-so, in town is where you will find the real authentic flavor. We went to the far side of the island and swam in the ocean with people from Milwaukee, it was epic. El Doro or El something on the way back into town from the far side as I call it on the other side of the island, is a great little spot that we hit a couple times and the shrimp tacos were ridiculously delicious and cheap! The room was nice and spacious and the view from the balcony allowed us to see the parades during carnival which was literally steps away from the hotel. We were right in the thick of it"Carnival" and it was the best, (if you dont mind noise until early in the morning). Our room also faced the Thirsty Cougar which stays open late and Chi, the Chinese place upstairs both of which were excellent both food and service. We could just sit and watch the activity from our balcony, it was pretty cool watching the cruisers come and go tipsy everday. Overall great place, clean, great breakfast buffet, great location, great time.

Room Tip: We had 36 which faced the bar across the street, and a partial view of ocean from balcony but room 3...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my first time staying in downtown Cozumel; usually stay further down the island. The Suites Bahia is a great hotel and very conveniently located almost directly off the main avenue. Rooms were very nice, king bed and queen bed separated by a short wall. Room was very clean and housekeeping kept it that way for our week long stay. Always had hot water and shower pressure was great. The room wall unit AC was a little noisy, but typical for that type of unit. Temperature control was easy and never had a problem cooling the room. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but provides breakfast (part of our package) at their sister hotel less than two blocks away (very short walk - and well worth it).

We stayed on the second floor and had a non-balcony room. We booked last minute for a dive trip, so that was all that was available. The front desk offered to move us when a balcony room became available, be we opted to stay in our room because it was very quiet. Was not sure about the street noise for the balcony rooms facing the street.

The hotel has excellent Wi-Fi, very fast. The room had a small kitchenette area with sink, microwave, and full size refrigerator. The hotel staff was always friendly and helpful. For the money, this is a great hotel (for Cozumel) in a great downtown location and is definitely recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends