“Incredible! Fabuloso! Perfecto!”

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
collegeville, pa
“Incredible! Fabuloso! Perfecto!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was our 3rd stay here at the Playa Azul and this time we returned with our 2 sons, ages 19 and 20. We stayed July 25 - Aug 1st and took advantage of the all inclusive option. Food was great and there was enough variety to keep everyone happy. The all inclusive is reasonable so you can still go into town for a few meals if you want. We have travelled throughout the US, Europe and Mexico and each time we visit Cozumel and Playa Azul, we say it is our BEST vacation. It is a real vacation. Looking for quiet, calm, leave it all behind vacation, then this is your place. I speak Spanish but my family got along fine too! The staff is beyond accommodating and wonderful! At times we were the only diners in the evening and we felt like royalty- my sons ordered whatever they wanted and ate it all! Our room was clean and smelled clean! Everyone greeted us with a smile no matter how many times we passed. These are kind, professional, and caring people. And the view- oh, the views! Have your morning coffee on the beach, have lunch on the beach, sit and enjoy the quiet, enjoy the music at times, enjoy being with each other in a small hotel that lets you feel like you are in paradise. The other reviewers aren't exaggerating, My sons took the Padi Scuba cert course right there with Blue Dream. Chris was great! I would recommend BlueDream Dive Shop to anyone and everyone! We didn't golf but will next time! I got wrapped up in reading, my husband enjoyed the snorkling right there at the hotel beach and my sons got carried away with diving/snorkeling. It was hard to let go after 7 days of bliss. Thank you, Playa Azul!

Room Tip: All great rooms- we were in 312!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank lynnandjohn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Chicago
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were looking for a place to take our boys (aged 11 and 13) for their first warm water diving experience. We decided on Cozumel and then had long debates about whether to choose one of the larger all - inclusive resorts or Playa Azul. We made the right choice for sure! First was the scuba diving. BlueDream Cozumel is the dive shop there and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. Chris was terrific - making sure that I and the boys had a great diving experience. We dove four of our seven days and each site was different and lovely. We felt that we had personalized attention and really got to know Chris and our boat captain. Second, our room was great. We chose the 7 day web special ocean front room. The view from the master bedroom was lovely with a sit-in balcony. The boys slept in the living room area on futon couches. The two rooms were separated by a large bathroom (shower/toilet/sink inside room and a sink area outside that) which was perfect. The service was great. We ate breakfast at the hotel each day - there were few guests so no buffet but we considered that a plus since we could order whatever we wanted but didn't overeat. We had lunches and dinners either at the hotel or in town. Drinks were great; the food was okay, but not our top priority so it really didn't matter. We enjoyed the personal, customized service, the uncrowded beach, and the spacious, reasonably priced room, and of course the great diving. We did parasailing and jet skiing as well - again through BlueDream Cozumel - booked right there at the hotel beach. The only negative thing was a massage at the spa. It was okay - but not the "deep tissue" massage I was hoping for. Pretty minor criticism. I mark it down for the food and massage, but would definitely go back and would recommend it!

Room Tip: Corner Ocean Front Suite was great and perfect for our family of four with one master bedroom and bo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank jroseChicago
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have been to Cancun many times, and stayed in what was considered some of the nicest facilities there. We never had experienced Cozumel. We will definitely be back, and to this particular property.We read the reviews before we made reservations, but the reviews can never really describe this property until you experience it first hand. We heard about the staff, and that is what sets this property apart from others. You actually get to know these people personally. From Phillipe/Julio/Mauricio/Carlos/Gilberto/Juan/Kermit/Hernan, and the proprietor, Fernando, these individuals made our trip.Words can not describe how nice they are, and they go out of their way to make your experience whatever you chose. The maid was amazing. Cleaned your room twice a day.
Now the property. Very quaint, very clean, right on the beach. This place is great for kids (my wife and I went by ourselves) or just as a couple. The snorkling is right in front of you at the beach. There is probably several hudred yards of rock formations that inhabit all the fish you need to see. Of course you can get an excursion set up to take you out to further reefs, but for us, all the snorkling we did was right off the beach. We did the all inclusive, and I would highly recommend that package. What all inclusives do you go to where you order off of a menu. No buffet lines. You can pay an additional 12 bucks, and get Lobster Thermador, or a Ribeye/New York Strip, or Filet Mignon. I live in Dallas, and the steaks are right up there with any high priced steak house we have been to. I could not believe the price. These were not your thin steaks, they were 1.5"- 2" thick. We took a short Jeep ride to the other side of the island, where the beaches are outstanding. There are no hotels over there, just beautiful beaches. Forgot to mention the golf. Rentals are free as is the golf. All you need to do is pay 30 bucks for a cart.This is a Jack Nicholas course, and one of the finest I have played. Just take your own golf balls (I would recommend a dozen) If you are off the fairway, it is gone. Iguanas everywhere, and alligators in the ponds.You do not go after your balls near the water, even if it is within 15 feet. Gators are real close to the edge. I bought 6 balls, and ran out on the 16th hole. I could keep going on, but just experience this for yourself.

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean view. The suites are huge, even though we stayed in a regular room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Robert L
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband and I are very different. I like to dive, he likes to golf. This hotel allowed us to stay and have breakfast and with complementary golf it was the same price as just a round of golf!
The breakfasts were wonderful. Waffles (I've traveled extensively and own property in Mexico and have never seen waffles!), delicious coffee, fruits, eggs, yogurt, cereal, fresh squeezed juice. Everything was great. We opted for breakfast only, not all inclusive.
I did order a drink in the beach bar and it was very watered down $80 pesos, but quite large.
The rooms have really nice beds. In Mexico they are typically very hard and these were comfortably soft. Everyone who worked there was SO friendly, everyone. I loved the people.
At night in the lobby they light a wall full of candles and it is so pretty. The pool is nice and outside they have a little turtle habitat.
This is a really nice hotel. The only downside is it is far from the diving so we had to rent a car so I could get to the dive shop and back. And there was no refrigerator in the room.

Room Tip: There is an elevator so if you are handicapped it is no issue. All the rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank buza831
Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2012

All rooms have an ocean view. The breakfast buffet is great with made to order omelets, etc.The snorkling at the hotel was good. Short cab ride to town. Personnel were friendly and helpful.We greatly prefer this small boutique hotel to the larger ones we've been to. I can see wanting to be further south IF diving were the main consideration. But for us the location right on the beach is the big thing.

Room Tip: Handicapped accessible room is about ten steps to the beach bar and about the same distance to the r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rosenplano
vancouver bc
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband and I have stayed and golfed here a few years in a row! Love the golf course & the service! Approximately 170.00 a nigh including golf for two and breakfast! You can't golf anywhere in cancun for that price! If you want to know more message me!

Room Tip: All rooms seem good with great ocean views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TwoCanucksOnTheBeach
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 8, 2012

In the last 5 years we have travelled to Zihuateneho, Puerto Vallarta, Playa del Carmen and Tulum for the annual summer vacation. This was by far the most welcoming and relaxing. It is a very well run little 50 room establishment that tries to keep you happy by anticipating your needs. The staff was great and everyone knew our names by the second day.
Room was very comfortable, the AC worked well, very clean with no musty odors associated with the tropics and beds were not as hard as other Mexican hotels as they had some sort of a matress topper. We slept well as this is a quiet little establishment populated mostly by 50ish couples (like us) and not a lot of children. Every room has an ocean view but the beach bar and small ocean frontage were so nice we spent very little time on the balcony even though the ocean view was perfect. Beach was small but plenty of lounge chairs, snorkeling was fun and good bar service to the beach area. Bring water shoes as there is some rocky areas getting in and out of the water. Sundays on the Island are the only day with no cruise boats in town and the beachclub next door has great Live Salsa music.
We did get the all inclusive package and would do so again. The breakfasts and lunch were great. Food was fresh and the covered outdoor cafe area was perfect. We ate some dinners in town but did eat a few dinners at the hotel sa well.
I did play golf one day and enjoyed the course. Bring a lot of golf balls as anything that goes into the rough is a lost ball. Went to the ruins and had a guide walk us through the area, very worthwhile. We rented a jeep from Isis as recomended by everyone here at tripadvisor. Do rent a car as driving around town is easy and parking is not a big hassle. Trips to the east side of the island were the highlight of the trip. Went to the mainland for a day and rented another car for a drive south from PDC.
I was concerned about Cozumel as it has a reputation as just an over run cruise boat port of call but that really wasn't the case. We chose this hotel because of the golf and excellent value. We discovered you can spend a lot more and get a lot less than this place has to offer. I'm trying to figure out what I was dissapointed with but can't come up with anything significant. I was suprised that Cozumel seems to run on US currency, the Mega superstore even rings up transactions in Dollars and makes change in same.
I had struck up a conversation over breakfast withanother guest and she told me she had been returning to cozumel every summer for 30 years. The fact that she was staying at the Playa Azul should tell you something. We have a practice of trying a new location and a new resort every year but this place is nice enough that we may have to amend that policy and return next year.

Room Tip: No refrigerators ion the rooms. Buy a styro ice chest and get ice from the bar to keep room drinks...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple