“Great Place to Stay!”

Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed December 9, 2006

We loved the Coral Princess and will definitely go back! A great place for children. A nice, small, friendly hotel where everyone gets to know you by sight and by name. I really enjoyed it. The hotel
restaurant is great too!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Adeleida
Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed September 27, 2006

Overpriced, brown water in pipes, staff not very courteous or helpful, unless you are buying something. Rooms look nice, but could not adjust air conditioning, so had to leave windows open to bring down the freeze a bit. Main pool was being worked on and the other pool had no filters, was full of bugs, and was warm. It was not very user friendly.

Food and drinks overpriced and poor quality.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
7  Thank Bodegabob
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I stayed at the Coral Princess for the second time from August 10-13. I must say that the hotel was even better than the last time, and it was obviously nice enough the first time for me to return. When we arrived, Pedro and Jaime immediately recognized me from my last stay and gave me a very warm welcome, complete with complimentary drinks. The front desk clerks were just as accomodating - Erika and Christian gave us everything we needed and more.

I emailed the hotel about 2 weeks before our trip to ask for a non-smoking, oceanview room, and they honored my request with no problem. The room was fantastic; as another reviewer said, all the furniture is brand new and very modern since Hurricane Wilma. The man-made beach area was phenomenal; they really did a lot of work on it after the hurricane. (You can see pictures of the damage downstairs near the restaurant.) They have all new beach chairs and umbrellas. Everything was so nice.

The best part about the hotel is the employees. If you take 5 minutes to talk to them as regular people instead of service providers, you'll see they are the nicest people you'll ever meet, and they will bend over backwards to help you and make your visit an excellent one. Pedro, Humberto, Victor and Andy are FANTASTIC concierges. Andy even took some time on his day off to show us some hidden snorkeling spots in front of the hotel. (I thought the snorkeling was better this time than before the hurricane. We saw huge tuna, stingrays, and 15-20 other types of fish. Equipment is just $7 for 24 hours.) Christian and Erika work the front desk, and were very helpful when we wanted to check out a little late on our final day. Isidro is the THE BEST bartender I've ever encountered; he works the pool bar from 7am-3pm but will move to the beach bar when they rebuild it. Jack Daniel and Jimi are the friendliest waiters and will get you anything that you need. Like I said, just converse with them in a respectful manner, and they will treat you like royalty.

Someone mentined that the bartenders just want money and that the drinks are expensive, and I'd like to clarify. There isn't a drink on the menu that costs more than $80 pesos, which is less than $7 USD. I think I had 80% of the drinks while I was there, so I know that they aren't that expensive. Coming from Atlanta where drinks are $9-$12 apiece, I thought these prices were fantastic, especially considering the large size of each drink. Also, they have a 2-for-1 happy hour every day from 5-6pm, and the bartenders and waiters have to close out your tab immediately before and after since the drinks are a different price during that time. Plus, they switch shifts at 3pm, so there are probably some times when they ask for money... but it's just because they have to close out tabs at those times. We charged everything to our room and paid when we checked out, so it was a very easy and stress-free experience for us. For 4 days, we only spent $216 on food and drinks for 2 people... We drank A LOT and only ate one meal away from the hotel. I think that says a lot about the price of food and drinks!

Be aware that there is no natural beach in this area of the island, so the hotel has made their own with stairs that access the ocean. You can walk down the stairs and just jump in the water, and there's plenty of sand on the man-made beach for you to play in if you wish.

We also got massages on the beach that were excellent. There was some construction going on next door, but I honestly didn't notice it half the time. If you're concerned with that, don't go to the Yucatan Peninsula for a few years until they have chance to fully rebuild. There is construction going on across the entire peninsula. It seriously wasn't even an issue with us; the screaming kids were louder than the construction workers. (Speaking of which, this isn't an all-inclusive resort with a separate kids' pool and kids' activities. Be prepared to deal with a few kids whose parents didn't spring the extra money to keep them occupied elsewhere.)

If you decide to go to the timeshare presentation, the hotel will reward you nicely. I did it on my first visit and honestly thought it was an excellent opportunity for families or couples. It's a timeshare presentation; it is what it is. Don't feel bad saying no if they ask you to go to a presentation of any kind. Do your research before you go, and you won't be fooled into thinking it's something that it's not! You don't have to do it unless you want to!

I LOVE this hotel and will go back as often as I possibly can. I highly recommend it!!!!!

A few tips... You can walk from the hotel to town. I've done it before. It's usually very hot outside, so why not pay $3 for a taxi? It's $3 for the car itself, not per person. Give the driver a tip, and you're in town for $5. Leave the maids a few bucks as a tip, and they will take care of your room. We had more towels than we could have possibly used. The A/C has this card operater thing and they tell you to leave your room key in it for the power (meaning you'll have to take your room key when you leave and then the A/C will be off). You can put any card in there - I've used my Sam's Club and US Airways Dividend Miles cards.

Stayed: August 2006
24  Thank sellaj
Reviewed August 13, 2006

My family and I decided to go on vacations to Mexico. One of the Hotels we visited was Coral Princess. The experience was not as good as we expected. When we arrived everything was apparently well until they said that the first day we had to be in one room and on the following day we had to change to another rooms. The two rooms that we reserved originally were with view to the ocean, but when we arrived they wanted to give us rooms with view to the jungle. We were waiting for and hour and “apparently” we had to pay extra to have rooms with ocean view like originally requested. Finally, after waiting for an hour we obtained our rooms 916 and 710 with ocean view. Room 916 was wonderful. When we entered the room number 710 there was an incredible view but a frightful smell. We thought that the smell was because of humidity by the hurricane that had passed through Cozumel and that the smell was going to go away after awhile. At the end of the day the smell was worse, was like a dead mouse or to covered septic tank. I went to the reception to request that they went to fix the problem. Christian, the guy at the reception, very pleasantly helps us. After several hours we returned to room and the smell was worse. Then it was worse, the smell was mixed with disinfectant. We returned to speak to the receptionist and he asked someone to disinfect the place where the smell was but nothing worked. I was already 11:30pm and we decided to go to sleep regardless of the smell. On the following day the smell was worse so we went again to reception to request that they changed us to a different room equally to the one we had, but they said to us that there were not rooms available. Later, after half an hour requesting to two receptionists Erika and Guadalupe to change us finally we got a different room. The two receptionist were not very contented to do the paperwork so we co go to another room but they changed us to the room number 610 and the smell was worse there. Then we realized that the problem was in all the rooms that its numeration finished in 10 (110,310,610,710). At night the receptionist, Christian, tried to help us to find a room to change again. After waiting for hours we requested to speak with the supervisor. The supervisor spoke by telephone and it said to Christian that he could not to do anything and that he was not going to authorize the change of room. Christian said to the supervisor that there were two rooms with ocean view, kitchen, living room and dining room available (choral package) and the supervisor said that he was sorry but he was not going to do anything. Soon Christian gave us the telephone so that we could talk to the supervisor directly and the supervisor said to us that he was not going to do nothing. We asked Christian to communicate us with the general manager of the hotel to complain about the problem of the room and the bad attitude of the supervisor. The general manager talked on the telephone with Christian and told him to change us to a different room so he gave one us of the great rooms but without additional cost until we left the hotel. Of all this bad experience we can say that the service was not the best but Christian in reception, Lorenzo and Daniel in the restaurant demonstrated a great customer service.

• Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank nitavarela
Reviewed August 2, 2006

Coral Princess is a small quiet hotel with alot of charm. We stayed for a long weekend at a bargain price and were suprised to see all the work they had done since the hurricanes. All new beds,bedding,flooring,furniture, really modern bar,lobby bathrooms. Most importantly, great air conditioning! I did not have an ocean view room but that was fine with me as I did not spend much time in there. The price includes a nice breakfast as well. This was the first time I stayed someplace with a manmade beach but it was fine. The Hotel is built on a small cliff and they have made some stairs down to the ocean so you can snorkel right there (also, you can check out gear for no charge)! The pool is small but ample for the size of the hotel. They do not mind if you bring your own ice chest but they have a full service swim up bar too. This is a place I will suggest you try. I know I will return to in the future. Above average hotel with excellent service!

12  Thank vfswope
Reviewed July 30, 2006

My wife and 2 children (ages 9 & 13 ) stayed at the Coral Princess for one night (July 19th) to get a break from our week in Playa del Carmen. The hotel is basic and clean, not far from town but probably too far to walk. We rented a jeep to explore the island which can be done in one day (no need to stay overnight like we did). The staff were fine and the pool ok. We had a free (expedia promotion-no time share) breakfast delivered to our room and it was great-more than we could eat. Hotel is on a quiet stretch despite construction next door-really this whole island is quiet. Suggest eating lunch at Coconuts on the Cliff in Chen Rio if you rent a car or scooter (much slower) and absolutely go to Poncho's Backyard for an excellent dinner. Food is excellent, not too expensive and the wait staff are great-they really love kids here. On the same premises is an excellent souvenier shop, Los Cinco Soles that is clean with excellent sales staff-you can get everything Mexican here, both high and low end. Both places are close to hotel and ferry terminal and very easy to find-directly across street from water-plenty of free parking. You can walk along the water to town in the evening-perfectly safe and shop when it cools down and the cruise ship crowds leave. If you want to go to a decent beach-and you have a car/scooter-you can try the San Francisco beach club-free to lay on sand/$ for chair umbrella rental. Restauraunt, changing and bathroom on site. The Coral Princess is a basic, inexpensive hotel. However, although this place is known for its snorkeling-you will only see a few fish that seem to live here waiting for a handout. The ocean seems like it was raked clean-probably due to hurricane. Staff said snorkeling was much better prior to huricane, so if your going just for this, you may plan a boat trip in addition. There is a slight current, but if you stay with your kids, they will be fine. The water and visability are excellent-just not much to see.

Stayed: July 2006
10  Thank Queens Village NY traveler
Reviewed July 29, 2006

This was my first time at this hotel and my sixth trip to Cozumel. We decided to try this place after Palace Resorts bought out my old favorite hotel and put up a wall to seperate guests from the ocean. This was definately a good choice.

We booked well in advance online but I e-mailed the hotel about a week before our trip and asked for a room on the lowest level to have quick access to the ocean and they gladly complied. When we arrived and checked in, we were brought ice cold glasses of punch and then shown to our rooms where they explained how to operate the remote/card controlled electricity and airconditioner.

This hotel is still working on rebuilding after the hurricane but the construction or lack of a few small services was no hinderance to us. The rooms and the hotel itself were very clean and nice. The breakfast was very good. Dinner was just ok. We preffered to take the $5 taxi ride into town each night and try different restaurants. Brothers Pedro and Humberto, the concierges, are great for restaurant recommendations. And Isidrio did a great job bartending for 2 for 1 happy hour.

The snorkeling at this hotel is awesome. Tons of ocen life right in front of the hotel. We saw dolphins the second afternoon!! I took many pictures of interesting and beautiful fish. I did several night time snorkels and saw a couple octopus and all sorts of other creatures that don't venture out in the day.

The will ask you do attend their presentation for their version of a time share. You get free breakfast and then they give you a tour and the time share rooms are totally different from the regular hotel rooms and are very nice. We got a coupon for a free car rental for attending and it only took 2 hours and they did not act the least bit put off when we didn't buy into it. I thought it was worth it for the free breakfast and the car rental. We took the car and went to some other hotels and a great beach club called Dzul Ha where there is some great shallow water snorkeling.

We are already planning a return trip next summer and will definately be staying at the Coral Princess.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Brooke2100