“Perfect - Nothing Changed (Good People, Good Location, GOOD TIME)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort

Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Laurel, Maryland
“Perfect - Nothing Changed (Good People, Good Location, GOOD TIME)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

I have returned to the Coral Princess for the 4th time in less than 10 years. My parents returned for the 17th consecutive year and their friends for their 20th (they own timeshare here). The location is GREAT, away from the hussle and bussle of downtown. Not a lot of Partiers at this location.

This was a family location of 9 (including two kids of 9 and 5 who's first visit out of the country said "Mexico is the best"). Kids at that age say exactly what they mean and I agreed with them.

The staff (Pedro and Conchita) were awesome as always and the Baggage people (Jamie and Carlos) were curtious as well. Even Erica at the front desk was helpful and cheerful. Everyday said good morning and good evening as well as hello and what are your plans for the day; even returning remembered where we went and if we had fun.

Will continue to return to this home-away-from home location again and again.

MEGA - great new store (reminds me of a Super Wal-Mart and very well priced).

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeepseadoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Hebrew first
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

Just back from Cozumel. Wonderful trip & stay at the Coral Princess. Snorkeling off the beach gets better every trip. Great food at the restaurant & wonderful staff who catered to our every need.
We WILL NOT use American Express Travel to book again-we don't believe they treated us fairly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank palmax1999
portland, me
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

Pros:
1. Genuinely friendly staff, especially the wait staff. These people knew the meaning of hospitality.
2. Great views from the rooms, and away from the tourist and cruise ship chaos of Cozumel
3. Decent snorkeling right in front of the resort
4. Clean, fair prices, decent food, friendly atmosphere
5. Lots of lounges and umbrellas
6. It had a free air-hockey table, albeit smaller than regulation
Cons:
1. We were a liberal northeastern family; this place was mostly filled with older midwestern republicans. Friendly people, but it kind of freaked me out.
2. Pool not deep enough (4 feet at the most, and not much fun. Spa only sometimes hot, and too far from the pool.
3. The food in the restaurant was never better than adequate, and had too few mexican dishes.
4. No beach - just a manufactured sand area adjacent to, but not connected with, the water.
5. Its a bit noisy - lots of weird noises from our upstairs neighbors dragging chairs around? And any hall noise gets transmitted into the room. But since the other guests were all pretty quiet types, it wasn't a big problem.

The Coral Princess is a pleasant holdover from another era. It doesn't aspire to greatness, but succeeds in being an honest value where you don't feel deceived by its website or advertising.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank recklessweimie
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

I love this hotel. I've stayed there 6 times. The staff is great. They took time out to really engage the guests and even played with our children. The food there was excellent. The pool and beach were just the right size. I also liked not being right in town. It's only a 15 min walk or short cab ride and you don't have to compete with all the cruise ships when they come into port.

Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

We chose the Coral Princess partly due to the reviews here and we were not disappointed! It is a long but pleasant walk into town - took us about a half hour strolling to the square. The first day we walked down to the Mega then took a cab back ($6 US) with our groceries. We had a 2 bedroom suite which is actually a one-bedroom suite plus an adjoining "regular" room. There were 3 balconies (one in each bedroom and one in the living room); the kitchen was minimally but adequately equipped. Enough dishes and silverware, a good blender, coffee maker, toaster, etc. But no measuring cup or strainer, e.g.

We had no problem finding available loungers on the swim deck. The Wi-Fi worked well and even reached out to the beach area for those who are compulsive.

But the best selling point for us was the great snorkeling right there at the hotel. We could hop in several times a day. Besides the "usual suspects" we saw reef squid, a *giant* green moray eel, filefish, yellow stingray, sharptail eel, parrot fish and loads of angelfish, butterflyfish and damselfish.

We were very happy with the accommodations, the staff was friendly and helpful and the awesome snorkeling makes it a place we will return to.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank fotobug
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

First of all, I bought into the Princess years ago, but before I did, had stayed at many hotels on the island. I went to the Princess and felt like I had found the place to come for many years to come, and I have not regretted it at all. I visit at least 2 times a year, and have not encounterd any of the problems I read on this board. I am treated with smiles and graciousness on every trip. I will continue to stay there for many years to come, and have had friends go with me, only to buy into the club as well. I haven't stayed in the hotel side, so I can't vouch for it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank scubascamp
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

We went to Coz (first timers) for two weeks around Thanksgiving. Loved it! We stayed at the Coral Princess in a one bedroom, loved that too. We spent most of our time snorkeling, sunning, meeting new people, walking around and figuring out where to eat next. I was impressed with the shore diving from the Coral Princess for macro life.

The one bedroom Timeshare room was huge with a large deck, nice bathroom (separate sink area) and big kitchen, living room and dining area. The one bedroom on the hotel side was smaller, little bedroom, tiny kitchenette with microwave and a big fridge, the dining table was scrunched in with the living room area and it had a small deck. The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable.

My favourite eateries were Casa Missione, La Choza, Espesias and Pancho’s Backyard. We also ate at Pepe’s Grill and were really disappointed. The concierge gave us great ideas for which restaurants to go to. The restaurant at Coral Princess had great breakfasts and some good lunches too. We ate dinner there several times and the food was good plus we were almost the only ones there, great service. One special evening our new friend cook/waiter Daniel came to our suite and cooked for us one night, wonderful meal. The Coral Princess beach bar had happy hour two-fers and they were good. The taxis to town cost us about $6 bucks each way and we walked it a couple times but it is about a 35 min walk.

The diving… what can I say, I am in love. My favourite sites were Palancar Cueves and Palancar Gardens. I was floored by the huge coral formations lushly coating every possible surface and all the beautiful fish. My only disappointment was that my camera was having fits and not working part of the time. Oh, and I missed the dive where everyone saw a DOLPHIN underwater, and then saw an eagle ray. I also dove Barracuda, Tunich, Tormentos, the Wreck (can’t remember the name), Chankanaab (awful vis), Cedral, and lots of shore dives from the Coral Princess. I saw lots of turtles, beautiful coral, eels galore and a couple Splendid Toadfish, and lots of rays (but not an eagle ray). The vis was fantastic most of the time, 100 ft plus.

I used Pepe Scuba located in the Coral Princess, I was happy with their location, fast boats, equipment, DMs, Captains and the fact that they had two boats, one for the newbies and one for experienced divers. I got lucky and the people I was diving with were very experienced so we got to go to great sites. I didn’t dive the day they went to Punta Sur (Devil’s throat). I was diving my Suunto Vyper that is very conservative and it was very annoying to come up with lots of gas, as it doesn’t give credit for deep stops.

My non-diving hubby even loved Coz, he snorkeled almost everyday and really enjoyed the food. I am already trying to figure out how to get back to Cozumel and the Coral Princess.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple