“Amazing diving and snorkeling area”

Paradise (Paraiso) Reef
Book In Advance
More Info
$179.99*
and up
Cozumel Diving Day Trip from Cancun
Ranked #43 of 159 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Brightly colored brain and star corals, sea fans and lots of sea life make this a popular diving site, especially for night diving.
Budapest, Hungary
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Amazing diving and snorkeling area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

I've done several dives here including a night dive, and all of them have been fantastic. While I did some more shallow dives, accompanying children were snorkeling above us. The water is clear enough that even down to 20 feet the kids could easily see everything we saw and did.

One of the things I also really enjoy about this area is that it's an easy shore dive. There is minimal to no surge usually, currents are easy, and waves won't knock you over when you're trying to get in the water. You also don't have to go very far to see the wonderful marine life, including eels and octopuses, that inhabit the area. Visibility is outstanding, and the water is warm.

Visited May 2011

• Korean first
los Angeles, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

I snorkeled this place on the recommendation of the guy who ran the dive shop at our hotel. He said we could get there on our own, it's free and there were beautiful things to see. When we got there,m there were lots of snorkeling groups/tours of people who paid money to be brough there by bought. We got there by cab. I saw the same thing they saw.

Basically, there was not MUCH coral, and not huge amounts of fish either, but everything that was there was pretty big. All the fan & brain coral we saw were bigger versions of what we found snorkeling in front of our hotel, same thing with the fish. But there wasn't THAT MUCH to see. Plus, I got stung by two thimble jellyfish.

This was my 1st time on Cozumel, I've snorkeled off the mainland several tims, as well as Jamaica & Hawaii, and I still have never seen reefs as amazing as the ones in the Dead Sea in Israel. I keep hoping I will find ones that can compare, but so far, nothing has come close.

1 Thank Rissanela
Canton, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Snorkeling trip was tough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2005

My husband and I signed up for this snorkeling trip at our resort through our funjet rep during our honeymoon. It was $50 per person and included air conditioned transportation there and back, snacks and drinks on the boat, 2 areas of snorkeling on a beautiful state park reef, and the chance have drinks and lunch at a nice open air restaurant afterwards. It took about 4 hours from leaving the resort to getting back to our room.

It was a gorgeous day, but very windy and rough waters. This was my first attempt to snorkel and my husband's second time. He jumped in first and I followed. I could barely get my mask and snorkel in place. The waves kept slapping me in the face and I guess I panicked. My husband had to take me back to the boat. I felt terrible until I realized that some of the seasoned snorkelers were coming back to the boat. My husband says that what he did get to see before I panicked was gorgeous.

They acknowledged that the water was very rough and not the easiest to snorkel in. They were very helpful and did all they could to keep us entertained. It was still a nice boat ride and the waters were beautiful. They made an extra stop and picked up some starfish and large shells for us to hold and get pics with, which was very cool.

I figure that if we were interested in taking a boat ride it would have cost nearly the same and not been near as interesting, so the day wasn't a total bust. We met people from Tennessee and Las Vegas and had a great time talking with them. I recommend asking about the weather and water conditions before before signing up. I would also bring a book because ther was a little bit of down time waiting for our transportation to come back to pick us up. I am sure under normal conditions, I would have enjoyed it very much.

3 Thank travelinslacks
A TripAdvisor Member
“My best diving yet, period.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2003

I had the pleasure of spending a day in Cozumel, while travelling around the Carribean on Holland American's Maasdam cruise ship. I dove at each destination, including Grand Cayman. I had also been to the Great Barrier Reef, Florida Keys and other locations.

I got very nervous when the divemaster of our boat, Sand Dollar Divers, explained that nobody in Cozumel uses dive flags to drift dive! He continued that all the boaters know that this is a diving area and do not drive near here, so having a flag was unnecessary. After some major convincing, I entered the water.

I'm glad I did. Paradise (Paradisa) Reef ranks at the top of my list.
It was a drift dive along the wall in about 80 feet of turquoise water.

The aquascape was phenomenal. I'll never forget the contrast of the rich blue water peering in the various swimthroughs. Live was also plentiful, although it was the aquascape that made this my top dive site.

With only one day in Cozumel, I did not have the opportunity to survey the vast number of dive sites she offers. But I am making follow up plans.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member