“Beautiful Island, Awful Staff for Wedding”
Review of Isla Pasion

Holbox Island Tour from Playa del Carmen
Ranked #15 of 158 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Escape to a gorgeous secluded island. A beach paradise, known as Passion Island, the perfect place to relax and enjoy the Caribbean at its best! Just 15 minutes away from downtown, once in paradise you are invited to submerge yourself in a world of palm trees, hammocks, lounge beds, picnic tables and beach games. All age activities. Buffet lunch and open bar complementary.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I just visited Passion Island for my cousin's wedding, in which I was a bridesmaid. The island IS beautiful to the north side - clear water, beautiful sand. However, we were not treated well by the wedding planner or some of the staff. From the moment we arrived to take our little boat to the island, Meliza was rude and not accommodating to our group. The house we were using lost power, which they had known at least 4 days before the wedding, and they made the bride and groom PAY to rent a generator that would run just the water pump, 3 outlets, and one 10X10 room of air conditioning. We were told we could leave our stuff there until later in the evening, but two bridesmaids had to go over before dinner and gather up everyone's belongings and bring them over to the reception area. Oh, and they had to do this using their cell phones because they had turned off the generator and there was no power in the house so no lights to turn on. We were transported back and forth on a golf cart, but we were hit by palm tree leaves in the face and head numerous times as Meliza was not considerate of her riders, even as we had our hair fixed and ready for the wedding. The hair and makeup professional ran a bit late getting to the dock, and she told the bride she had someone waiting for him. The makeup professional emailed saying he had waited for 45 minutes with his assistant and cab driver, and no boat came to get him, so he didn't make it to the island. My cousin had asked for dark wood chairs from the bar area to be used for her seating, and we arrived to chairs covered in white cloth, and it did not get changed. There were not enough seats at the reception area, and they did bring enough chairs, but would not set another table, instead squeezing them in around the tables already there. The bridal party took photos after the wedding, and afterwards when we returned to the reception area, the chips, salsa and guacamole had been put away, and we were told we could not get any by Meliza, and that there were no more. Thankfully, one of the staff members went and got us some. There were 57 people there, and 20 people were in the photos. If they paid for everyone to have chips and toppings, then by all means we should get them. The bathrooms are kind of far away, and some of the path is not well lit if you are there at night. We had the island rented until 11:30, but shortly after 11 they were telling us we HAD to gather our things and go to the ferry. It started POURING down rain, and they still INSISTED that guests make their way to the ferry. Some of us just stood and waited, and the rain stopped in a few minutes. The staff did help decorate and were generally good during serving times. Our group had a great time because we made it that way, but Meliza's attitude from the beginning of the day to the end marred the experience. If you want a wedding on Passion Island, I suggest making sure everything is in writing, including who is responsible when things go wrong, and make sure expectations are very clear from the beginning of the day to the end, from the big details to the small, and understood by both parties.

2  Thank M R

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We did this excursion in Cozumel while cruising the Allure of the Seas. Of the (3) excursions we did, this one was the best by far! The boat ride is fun for the whole family and the island is absolutely beautiful! The staff has games for the family on the island, or you can just relax in paradise…….we will most definitely do this again on our next Cozumel trip!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've been to Cozumel more times than I can count! I wanted this to be my beach day and heard alot on how nice Isla de Pasion was, how relaxing, and how good the food.
I booked my excursion with Carnival via catamaran.
The catamaran had upper and lower deck seating. The crew was helpful in assisting people on and off the boat.
The ride to the island was nice. If you sit on the right side on the trip to Isla, plenty of photo ops of the coastline. If you have a hat, place it in your bag or sit on it. Had people lose their hats when a breeze came by.
The water color was amazing getting bluer and bluer as we got closer.
Once on the island, the catamaran crew had a quick talk about where to meet up and the time for the return (more than one ship tour using the island)
While there were alot of seating, more with shading would be nice. If you were in the middle or back of the group, the best spots pick up by those in front.
The buffet smell great, but the food was average. The same with the free drinks. They were ok. Frozen drinks were not included and the one that I purchased was bland.
The wait staff came around to clear the areas alot so no pile up of dishes or cups.
The water was warm and not over my shoulders for a nice distance.
There's a small shopping area, but the pricing was rather high.
No lockers and since I was solo and had a camera, not able to enjoy the beach as much.
We got back with less than 15 minutes before sail time. While we were on a ship tour, didn't like rushing back. So if you want to shop, do it before the tour. Told we would get back with some extra time.
Overall I had an ok time. I've been to other beaches where better seating options,drinks and food offered. Also coming back so close to departure time, even on a ship tour, rushing back is not how I like to end a tour (we could hear the horn as we were getting off the catamaran).
Also I understand tips are vital, but at one point hearing how this group is not part of that group and tipping several groups also sour the time.
Next time I will visit a beach via taxi for better service and able to depart without last minute rushing

2  Thank airlink9972
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We cruised Carnival Elation with a party of 17...no excursions booked when we got on boat...so by the time we decided what to do, we were 3 spots short...my husband decided to take the twister and the rest of us by catamaran....we all had an amazing trip besides getting wet by rain on our way back in the afternoon but it was all good!...everyone was sooo nice between the catamaran ride and everyone on the beach!....cuddos to all workers...we tipped them well when we left...my girls, 13 and 11 had a blast with the beach toys!...my husband took advantage of the alcohol (approx 20)...would definitely recommend this excursion!!...oh and hats of to Phillippe!!!!

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Is a good place for a day travel in Cozumel. Jorge is a great guide and offer a great service. The food could be better and we can be there for a longer time.