“Awesome!”

Holbox Island Tour from Playa del Carmen
Ranked #27 of 161 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Escape to a gorgeous secluded island. A beach paradise, known as Passion Island, the perfect place to relax and enjoy the Caribbean at its best! Just 15 minutes away from downtown, once in paradise you are invited to submerge yourself in a world of palm trees, hammocks, lounge beds, picnic tables and beach games. All age activities. Buffet lunch and open bar complementary.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We cruised Carnival Elation with a party of 17...no excursions booked when we got on boat...so by the time we decided what to do, we were 3 spots short...my husband decided to take the twister and the rest of us by catamaran....we all had an amazing trip besides getting wet by rain on our way back in the afternoon but it was all good!...everyone was sooo nice between the catamaran ride and everyone on the beach!....cuddos to all workers...we tipped them well when we left...my girls, 13 and 11 had a blast with the beach toys!...my husband took advantage of the alcohol (approx 20)...would definitely recommend this excursion!!...oh and hats of to Phillippe!!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)
All reviews
in 48 reviews
"great excursion"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Is a good place for a day travel in Cozumel. Jorge is a great guide and offer a great service. The food could be better and we can be there for a longer time.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We just returned from our very first cruise. The whole experience was great but I have to say this excursion made it so much better. We had no idea what to expect and spent a really long time deciding which excursion would be the best fit for our family - myself, my husband, 20-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter. I was a little hesitant booking this one as I'm not really an adrenaline junkie. I don't like roller coasters or the feeling of possible imminent death. However, I went with the previous good reviews and booked Isla Pasion by Twister Power Boat, not really sure how I would like it. I cannot fully put into words how absolutely amazing it was!!!! We had the time of our lives. Every one of us thoroughly enjoyed every single moment. The crew of the Twister power boat was very safety conscious but very entertaining at the same time. For me, the best part was feeling completely safe all the while having an amazing time enjoying the tricks, twists, turns and power of the speed boat. You will be soaking wet by the time you reach each destination - the island at the beginning of the day and then again as you return to the cruise ship at the end of the day - but it will be so worth it. Any items you bring along are stored in a water proof compartment each way so no worries there. Be sure you bring towels from the ship for the beach - we forgot. Now, as for the island portion of the excursion, Passion Island is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Paradise on earth - like stepping into a postcard - or a Corona commercial (we were told they were filmed on the island). The sand is powdery soft and cool, the water crystal clear and turquoise blue, more than adequate beach-front seating, open bar, good food, water toys for kids and adults, small shops for souvenirs, fresh water showers, hammocks in the shade, beach-side waiters, etc., etc., etc. I was worried about the island being extremely crowded but we were there on a Saturday and didn't find it to be crowded at all. Our guide Ida met us at the island's boat pier upon our arrival and was hilarious and fun but also made sure we were comfortable and well taken care of the whole time we were on the island. Incredible day that our family will remember forever. Vacations are really about making memories together and I can tell you we made some wonderful memories on this excursion. Like I said earlier, anything I write here will be inadequate in describing how amazing this excursion was for our family. I'll again sum it up the way I began - AWESOME!!!

3  Thank Liz S
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Passion Island was pushed heavily by our cruise line, who falsely assured us that it offered great snorkeling opportunities, and who charged us $15 more for this excursion than the price advertised on its website. The "power catamaran" is actually little more than a two story ferry, and the ride took 50 minutes each way, so that chews up a considerable amount of what is billed as a 5 hour excursion. During the ride over, paying customers were surprised by a general demand that each sign a general liability waiver indemnifying Passion Island tour operators from any and all claims before arriving on the island. (?!)

Upon arrival, guests were ordered to stand in line for a photo opp, whether wanted or not, because the Passion Island folks later try to sell you the picture for $12. The guides are friendly enough, but spend more than enough time soliciting tips on the way over, on the island and on the way back.

The "free" buffet is, frankly, disgusting. Upon our arrival, we found a dining hut filled with dirty tables, a depleted buffet line (lacking even clean silverware) and surly help whose only interest seemed to be whether or not you were filling their tip bucket-- strategically placed at the center of the buffet line. The "buffet" (consisting of burned chicken wings and legs, watery spaghetti, cold french fries, frozen chicken nuggets and overcooked fish, salad, fruit, stale chips and guacamole) was overrun with flies, and guests had to ask staff to refill empty food pans and provide silverware. The "free" drinks were seriously watered down (who knew one had to go to Passion Island to get the Worst Margarita Ever?!) and even the sodas were flat.

The beach is nice enough, but the water was green and filled with sea weed. The kayaks were free but in short supply, and the promised snorkel equipment was not available; when we asked, we were told by Passion Island staff that it's pointless to try to snorkel there since it's located on a sandbar. There are a half dozen inflatable water toys, a couple playscapes, five hammocks and a worn trampoline, but there's little to do there that one couldn't do on any prettier Cozumel beach and for far less dinero.

Be very cautious when shopping with the Island merchants, who reportedly misrepresent prices and try to add unanticipated charges for unsuspecting visitors.

The tour guides are pleasant enough, but get really annoying with their repeated solicitations for repeated gratuities and positive reviews, and this, combined with the actual island experience, made this paying guest feel very dispassionate about EVER taking this excursion again! I'm shocked, frankly, that Trip Advisor rates this tourist trap so highly. Save your money and go elsewhere.

3  Thank eva2691