“Enjoyable”

Book In Advance
More Info
$84.99*
and up
Cozumel Combo: Jose Cuervo Tequila Tasting plus Discover Mexico and Chocolate...
Ranked #6 of 159 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the full sweep of Mexico's history, culture and traditions at Discover Mexico Park, the country's only theme park that showcases its diversity and many marvels in one place. New: Crazy Cantina, Tequila Experience by Jose Cuervo(R) Tour and Papantla Flyers (voladores) shows available regularly. Instagram, Twitter: (at) DiscoverMexico
Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was enjoyable. The video we watched while waiting was brief. Our guide, Joshua, was very knowledgeable and entertaining, humourous even. The history we learned was very interesting. We had the tour+beach excursion. Enjoyed the beach part immensely.

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Staff and Very Educational!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We attended the Discover Mexico and Tequila Tasting as part of a Royal Caribbean shore excursion. Everything about this excursion was great from start to finish.

First, we were met by our tour guide Maria at the port. We did not know it at the time, but she was our tour guide for the entire excursion. She did a wonderful job of engaging everyone, and she kept the tour moving at a nice pace. From the port it was just a short 5 minute ride to the Discover Mexico Park. Once their Maria gave us a brief overview of everything that would take place. We would watch a short film, tour the museum, participate in a tequila tasting, take a tour through the scale replicas of the various historical sites throughout Mexico, and finally have lunch. Because the tour would take 3 hours Maria gave everyone a chance to go to the restroom right away.

After everyone had a chance to use the restroom Maria took us into the building to view a short film about the Mexican people, their culture, and the beauty of the country. It was air conditioned and comfortable. Once the film was finished we were taken on a tour of the art museum by Maria. Maria took her time and explained each piece in detail. We learned something about the various artist and the artwork. We also learned which parts of the country the artwork came from and the history and culture behind each time of artwork. Maria was able to point out details about the artwork that was not readily visible upon first glance. You could tell that her knowledge of the artwork was not a surface knowledge. She knew a lot about it. I would compare receiving her knowledge in the museum to drinking from a firehose.

Before participating in the Tequila tasting we had an opportunity to interact with several animals at the park. Their was an attendant on hand with a donkey, iguana, and a 6 ft python. My wife and I took pictures with the iguana and the python. The staff took pictures, but also allowed us to take pictures with our own camera. We were later given the opportunity to purchase the staff pictures which were 5x7 photos encased in nice frames. My wife loves having pictures of our adventures so we purchased 3 of them.

The tequila tasting consisted of a slide show presentation given by Maria. She explained the history of tequila, what tequila is, how it was discovered, how it is made, and more. I really like tequila and fancy myself as a connoisseur in training so I really enjoyed the presentation. We then had the opportunity to taste a silver, reposado, and an anejo. Maria explained the differences between the types of tequila. And while we did not get to taste them Maria talked about the differences between gold tequila and ultra-aged tequila. I had long ago stopped drinking margaritas made with sweet and sour mix. Making my own margaritas with fresh lime juice and agave nectar is just heaven. So whenever I go to a bar or restaurant before ordering a margarita I always ask if they use fresh lime juice or sweet and sour mix. If they use fresh lime juice then I order a margarita on the rocks. If not I order something else. Well Maria told me something I didn't know about sweet and sour mix... simply put don't drink margaritas made with sweet and sour mix. We also had some crackers on had to help clean our palate after each taste of tequila.

Following the tequila tasting we did a tour through the scale replicas of the ruins. Again Maria's knowledge was amazing. And the replicas were very detailed. This part of the tour was actually more extensive than I expected. Maria's knowledge of the history and facts of the pyramids, cities, and other ruins around Mexico really made this part interesting. The next time we visit Cozumel I intend to tour the ruins.

Once we completed the tour of the replicas lunch was up next. Before serving the food however, we were treated to a short class on how to make a great margarita. Of course they used fresh lime juice and agave nectar. Then we were allowed to order a margarita ( included in the price of our tour ). After ordering our margaritas we had lunch which included tacos, quesadillas, chips, and salsa. It was all you could eat, and it was delicious. While we were eating we could see another show. It was a group of acrobats. They performed a ritual on a pole that I think was about 30 ft off the ground. Maria again provided us with the background to this performance. We learned that this was something that the performers actually do in their home villages on poles twice as high. We also learned that they started training at age 5, and not everyone who tries out makes it. Only a select few continue the training, and they train for years. It was an awesome sight to see.

Outside near the lunch area there are a couple of shops setup where you can get name bracelets made in five minutes, and other handmade artwork. My wife and I bought a bracelet for our daughter from a young girl, and as promised we had it in under five minutes.

The last thing you do is exit via the Discover Mexico shop. Inside the shop you can buy tequila, artwork, and other things. Maria arranged transportation back to the port for us. She said goodbye to each of us as we boarded the van. We were back at the port in about five minutes.

My wife and I both had a great time, and I highly recommend this shore excursion.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank kdakil
DiscoverMX, General Manager at Discover Mexico Cozumel Park, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Sir, we thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed comment on your most recent visit to Discover Mexico Park in Cozumel. We are happy to hear than you enjoyed so much the tour of the Park as well as the Tequila Tasting Seminar. We look forward to welcoming you again in Mexico. Kind regards,
Roswell, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Discover Park Cozumel Mexico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

On our cruise to Cozumel we went the the Discover Park tour. Our guide was Martin. He was excellent and made our trip especially nice. He was a wonderful guide and told us interesting things about Mexico. We toured the park and then went snorkeling. We saw lots of tropical fish in this quiet beach. One of our friends was nervous about snorkeling and Martin stayed with her in the water until she was comfortable. Unfortunately we missed the Tequella tasting section but met some other guests who said they got their fair share of lots of different types of Tequella. They were also very happy!!

1 Thank sue w
Azusa, California, United States
“Serene - Such a Beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had a great time on Discover Mexico I learned a lot. It was a nice small quaint place. I felt a lot of its history of Mexico. The miniature models reminded me of Legoland. I thought they were really nice. Tan the guide was great!!! He's hospitality sure did make my husband feel at home. I loved the little shopping area; it was just enough. I didn't feel so overwhelmed (I got a great price for my name bracelet's; buy in bulk its better). The purse I got is way better than in the shopping area downtown; my fav Leopard and at a better price. The food was Delicious. The Tortilla's were the BOMB!!! My husband really Enjoyed the Special Corona. The weather was what I call Delicious- Very Nice.( Jan 23). I booked ahead of time for a guided tour and feel we got our monies worth (we paid a great price for the time we spent there and what I learned). Our guide Sebastian (Tan) did not stop and talk about every tree and plant..it was all about Mexico's history that I never knew. He was funny, passionate, and knowledgeable about Mexico which made our tour so much better than us going it alone. We were on the Celebrity TCM Cruise. The only thing I had a problem with is an elderly man and woman in wheelchairs; it's not really set up for wheelchairs. I know that people want to tour, but they should've asked in advance if the tour were wheelchair accessible; some areas were, but others weren't. Overall, if you want a short tour and a quaint place, this is for you. I would tour it again. I give this event a 10. Thank you.

Visited January 2013
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've been to Discover Mexico twice now. Only because my friends who hadn't been there wanted to go. I would say it's average. You start off in an art museum. There is a short video which was kind of neat. The best part was the air conditioning!
Then you go to the outside where there is a bar and 2 little shops and scaled replicas of several ruins found throughout Mexico.
The best part was the dancers. They do a short presentation where they climb up a pole and then swing down from it. It's pretty cool.
You can get $5 discount coupons online at theri website.
Worth the money? Almost not.