“Small native village” 3 of 5 bubbles

46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Small native village”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Village of 40-50 native Mayan families. Small church. Not really ruins worth seeing. They've managed to turn it into a tourist stop. Some fresh produce and native crafts & t-shirts. It costs 50 cents to use their bathroom. Did purchase a nice beaded necklace and several t-shirts. Took a pic with a young man dressed like a Mayan - tribal outfit, colorful (in exchange for a tip). It was interesting to view their lifestyle - which was our preference vs seeing a resort. The taxi driver seemed miffed that we chose that option vs a resort - maybe his kickback is less. It's about a 30 minute stop - not much to see or do. Locals were ok, but not SUPER friendly. No phones, no electricity.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank SerenaWL

Missouri
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Mayan Village of El Cedral, Cozumel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

El Cedral is a small, quaint, and old Mayan village on the island of Cozumel, Mexico. It has a genuine but small Mayan ruin and a nice small Catholic church to see. We went into the church but you cannot enter the Mayan ruin. The people are very friendly and we got to sample some homemade tacos after viewing a local resident's home.

Visited October 2013
Mobile, Alabama
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Buyers Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Dirty,unfriendly little town that will try to extort all of your money, skip it. Not the pearl of cozumel more like the dung heap. Stick to the snorkeling, diving and beach areas of cozumel don't waste you time here. The ruins are very small and not worth seeing.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank RyanF30709
Haysville, Kansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fake Jewelry”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I took a Carnival Cruise and ended up in this little town by cab. The cab driver, Freddie took us on a guided tour for $25 each. This is a very quaint little town but travelers beware. The vendors there are crooks. We each bought a ring that the salesman claimed was blue diamonds and my friend also purchased a pair of sapphire earrings. When got back home to the states and took them to the jeweler we found out they are cut glass and gold over sterling silver. We were charged in pesos and they wrote the U.S.D. amount on the receipt. I paid with my debit and when I checked my account at home they had ripped me off for an extra $50. I cannot get mine back because it was a debit card. My friend was able to call her credit card company to stop payment...be very careful...

Visited September 2013
1 Thank haysville7
Phoenix, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A 30 min stop”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Maybe because it was August, but nothing happening here. We were looking for the tequila tour nearby, we were greeted by an eager local shop owner who gave us a "private" tour. At first I was apprehensive, mass at the church just ended, Daniel shared the local culture and history and we ended up sharing his tequila at his shop. It was fun for the short visit but not much to see otherwise. If you do go, ask for Daniel!

Visited August 2013