“A Lot Of Work”

and up
Cozumel Jeep Tour from Cancun and Riviera Maya
Ranked #33 of 158 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Faro Celarain (Punta Sur) is an Ecological Reserve,which encloses a variety of natural wonders. It covers an area of one thousand hectares and it is destined for the conservation and preservation of the 5 ecosystems that conform it. Faro Celarain is rich in coastal dunes, mangroves, reefs,lagoons systems, the Island's most beautiful beaches and reefs. Faro Celarain light house is a museum dedicated to the navigation
Denver, CO
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A Lot Of Work”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I'm trying to think who would like this? Maybe if I were on a cruise ship, but I wouldn't want to do an excursion with a bunch of people. How would you get there? You can't take a taxi, it's a long, long walk down a dirt road to the beach. So, it's either a tour or a rental car. Once there, the beach is great! It's the Yucatan powdered, cool white sand and when we went it wasn't very crowded. That could be enough but it's available all over the Yucatan and much more accessible. It cost about $13 to get into the park. We went to Papitos and the people were very nice. It was typical beach food and not cheap. The chairs were free but they made up for that in their prices. Usually chairs at a free beach club run around $5-$7 with umbrella (we paid the entry fee instead). We went for the snorkeling. It was OK. Considering the long boring swim out to the "reef" I hoped it would be wonderful (you must swim or walk back too). It wasn't. Clear water, lots of colorful fish, just not wonderful. Just OK. I snorkeled in Hawaii and the Bahamas. They were great. Punta Sur was OK. Trying Akumal next, but only expecting OK. From this experience I did discover Isis Rentadora, the Cozumel rental car company. They were affordable and fair in a field of real charlatans. They were very nice and a wonderful resource. They turned me on to Gordito Burrito next door - excellent. Margarita, the Isis owner, also had a sister doing a really good deal in snorkel rental. Cozumel, Isis, Gordito Burrito yes. Punta Sur not so much.

Visited August 2014
6 Thank chuckofdenver

Wyoming
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“very serene”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

It's an all day adventure but so worth it. The light house was great and had a lot of history behind it. Food was decent and the area for snorkeling was nice for beginners, although you had to go out a ways to get to the coral.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank WyoRsrchQueen
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“GREAT, BUT DANGEROUS”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

This place is really beautiful and the snorkel was wonderful however we had a very bad experience. When entering the place the guard in charge told us that the place was very safe, with security platforms in the water and lifeguards on duty.

The place were the reef is farther than it seems. In my way back to the shore I started to feel very tired and desperate, I had to call for help since I did not find any platforms nor lifeguards around. I was fortunate that a tourist was close and helped me getting out.

I recommended to do the snorkeling in groups and take safety measures.

Visited August 2014
4 Thank soleparada
Atlanta, Georgia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Also known as "Punta Sur"”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We've been to Punta Sur many times and always have a good time. You do have to pay to get in, and the dirt road can be in disrepair from time to time (nothing a small car can't handle) but we still keep coming back.

The lighthouse area is just so beautiful, your basically looking off the southern point of Cozumel island. There are covered hammocks on the beach and the lighthouse area that beg you to lay and nap or read a book listening to the surf. The beach is quite nice and not as busy as the "Beach Clubs" so much more relaxing and not a noisy. Snorkeling can be very good, but make sure you know what your getting into. The reef with the best snorkeling is a little bit off shore. So expect a swim out and in. There is good food and drink to be had, as well as plenty of critters to look at in the eco park.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank NorthsidePK
San Juan, Puerto Rico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Views”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We took a tour that included entrence to the park and it was amazing. You get to enter the light house and see the amazing view of Cozumel and the ocean. Also it has a small museum.

Visited July 2014