“First Ocean Dive....”
Review of Del Mar Aquatics

Del Mar Aquatics
Ranked #5 of 43 Shopping in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: A fast fleet of diving ships, well-equipped with diving equipment and knowledgeable and friendly guides.
Edmond, Oklahoma
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“First Ocean Dive....”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I got certified in Aug 2011 and so my hubby and I headed to Cozumel to dive together for the first time. My hubby has been certified for several years and has used Del Mar before, actually his first ocean dive. So we stayed at Casa Del Mar and used this shop because it is so convenient. The staff are all friendly and knowledgable, Juan seems to always be smiling :0). I was extremely intimidated though, my very first ocean dive ever was to 91 feet and thru a ton of swim thrus!!! I don't really remember a whole lot because I was so focused on NOT bumping any coral. My anxiety caused me to of course blow throough my air in no time and my hubby and I had to ascend well before the others. The worst was when we hit about 18 ft I blew us right thru the safety stop!!! I was almost in tears. We did have a really large group with one guide at the front and one at the back. Juan gave me some tips topside on how to better handle my ascent and the second dive and ascent went much smoother.
The second day we had Francisco assigned to us, a group of only 6 or maybe 8. He was very attentive on the dive after visiting with us topside on my prior days dive. He was awesome at pointing out the sea life and making sure my husband got every possible opportunity to get photos.
We are heading back this May, on a group trip with our local dive shop. We will once again be staying at Casa Del Mar and using Del Mar Aquatics. We are super excited to get back to the beautiful reefs that Cozumel has to offer, and hoping we have Francisco again...:0) If you go, be sure to use Caesar to shoot video of your dive. He is AWESOME and his dvd is fabulous!!! I think we got 4 dives on the dvd for $70. Pretty darn awesome. Just ask about it at the dive shop. And Happy Diving!!!!

Visited November 2011
3 Thank CassieRDH

Washington, Illinois, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best dive shop, best dive instructors, best diving you will ever experience in Cozumel!”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Dive Instructors, yes all the guys at Del Mar Aquatics are Dive Instructors who are very serious about safety, and giving you the ultimate diving experience! We have been diving with this group since 2008. We would never consider any other dive shop. From great equipment, to skilled boat captains and very helpful crew, they take care of everything so you can enjoy the diving you long for.

Visited December 2011
omaha, NE
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“First ocean dive experience could not have been better!”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Just got back from our Anniversary trip & became certified divers with Del Mar Aquatics. We took our classes at home & did our final 4 dives & finished our skills on vacation. I was very nervous about diving in the ocean & we asked our local scuba shop to refer us to a reputable place in Cozumel. We are very happy with our experience. Juan was our instructor & he was great! Fun but informative, and very patient. I was nervous that our first dive would be deep, but the dive shop is on the dock, so our first day in the water was just off shore. It was still about 28 feet deep, but i was comforted knowing it wasn't too deep or in the middle of nowhere. We did almost all our work the first day, so the second day we got to enjoy the dives. I was stunned with how much there was to see! And I was so comfortable with Juan from the day before I relaxed and enjoyed the dives from the boat the second day. The boat we were on was small so the dive groups would be a good size. We went out with another group, but they had another guide, and Juan had just my husband & myself to focus on. I would recommend Del Mar Aquatics to new divers & experienced divers alike. I would have used them for more days if we hadn't been held up by high winds & rough waters the first few days of our stay. By the time we finished our required dives it was time to go home. But we will be back!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank jglovesu2
San Antonio, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“5 Days of great dives!”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Nice large dive boat and not too much of the cattle dive feel! I usually prefer a small dive boat w/just my groupso we control the dive sites but Del Mar Aquatics tookus toall the ones we requested over the 5 days. Juan, Gabriel and Mario were all good but there were 4 new divers on the boat and often there were 10 divers to a dive master and not too much attention to the new divers. We did have a great time and I took many photos of fish not seen before. All great dives. I just think 6 to a dive Master is a safer approach when new divers are going though several swim thrus.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank GolfDiveTravelGirl
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Staff was nice, but not too helpful”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My family and I planned a dive vacation to Cozumel, Mexico. We stayed at the Casa del Mar Resort which has Del Mar Aquatics on premises. I had made reservations for all our dives to be with this shop. Our first day of diving, we went down to the shop just to be told that the ports were closed because of high winds/seas. Since you can't argue with Mother Nature, we decided to take a tour of the island and the Mayan ruins. Jorhey was a wonderful tour guide and even told us another dive operator we could contact if we encountered the same problem. Lucky for us we listen to Jorhey because the next day was the same story from the dive Del Mar Aquatics. I case you're wondering where I'm going with this, we encountered the same story for the 4 days we were supposed to dive with this shop! We NEVER did dive with this operation and they never offered us any alternatives (alternate location, night dive, etc.); I didn't get the impression that they were too interested in our business. Obviously there was no charge and we ended up going with 3 other dive shops (see other reviews) and got to see different areas than we had originally planned, but I found it incredibly frustrating that they weren't willing too offer more help.

Visited November 2010