“Enjoyable”

San Gervasio Mayan Archaeological Site
Ranked #30 of 104 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Although not as popular as Chichén Itzá, these ancient Mayan ruins are noteworthy in their own right, as this is the site where Mayan women paid tribute to the goddess of love and fertility.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Nice tour. I wish the tour had been a little longer. But, it was enjoyable. Maybe adding an area with some photos of the inside and books with history available for purchase on site would be nice. You can't go inside and it's difficult to see anything in detail. Later at Atlantis Submarine I found a little booklet.

1  Thank bkm1966
Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)
All reviews
in 152 reviews
"chichen"
in 84 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2013

In 1992 my husband and I went to San Gervasio Ruins and you were in the middle of the jungle. It was hard to distiguish buildings because they had not recieived moneies to rebuild the stones upon the foundations. We just went there this June of 2013 and WOW, what a nice job that they did in rebuilding and creating nice path ways to walk.

We had a guided tour and it was well worth it. If you have never done it, I woudl do it. If you haven't seen them in over ten years I would go and see them again.

1  Thank trlloyd
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We didn't have much time between our diving so we decided to rent a Jeep and tour the island instead of going over to the mainland. When we parked the car, a security guard came to tell us that he'd be looking after the lot. He let us know about the entrance fees ($4+$4) and that we should allow about 40 minutes and to bring sunscreen and mosquito repellant. We brought it so we were prepared. We didn't get any bites so I guess it worked! The tour was nice and short. We opted for hiring a guide and she was very friendly, personable and knowledgeable. We learned a lot more than if we were to read the signs ourselves. She gave us background and history, as well as how the ruins were significant to her. We had a 1.5 year old with us and we were able to push his stroller along the path. There were some bumpier, rocky parts but they were very manoeverable. Overall, it was a good way to see some ruins without having to trek all the way to the mainland.

3  Thank EEEEEEEEEEEE
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is not Tulum or Chichen, but is worth the visit if you have extra time. This was my second time in Cozumel and I didn't have a chance to visit this site the first time and so I did this time. It simply amazed me the fact that this ancient civilization built this structures in the middle of nowhere...During raining season the increase of mosquitos is bad, so make sure to get your own repellent or pay a $1 US dollar to get sprayed...

1  Thank Ivette C
See more reviews
Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you don't have time to visit Tulum but still want a Mayan education, visit San Gervasio on Cozumel Island.

We opted for the private tour guide who was full of information! We were also provided the opportunity to wander around on our own and take photos. We saw some nice size Iguana's hanging around and "guarding" the ruins. If you just let them be then they will not bother you.

ALSO: Bring mosquito repellent OR pay $1.00 to borrow a full body spray from the shop owners.

All in all, a nice day trip for the family without spending the cash to go to Tulum.

1  Thank Michelle G