“Great alternative to the beach”

San Gervasio Mayan Archaeological Site
$51.25*
Cozumel Shore Excursion: 5-Hour Sightseeing Tour with Private Driver
Ranked #23 of 159 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Although not as popular as Chichén Itzá, these ancient Mayan ruins are noteworthy in their own right, as this is the site where Mayan women paid tribute to the goddess of love and fertility.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The ruins are small on Cozumel, and this complex can viewed in a few hours. The most startling thing are number of iguanas, or various colours, around the ruins. I did go with a guide, however the information boards were informative enough

1  Thank Klyk79
Write a ReviewReviews (1,267)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Read the reviews about San Gervasio while on an 11 day stay on the north end of the island in late January. Arrived early Sunday morning as one review suggested and wow! Great advice! Gates open at 8:00 and close at 4:30. I can't recommend enough to go in the early morning before the 10:00 tour buses arrive! We had the whole place to ourselves and the morning temperatures were cool with a light breeze! $8 each to enter and the personal guide is $18 per group. GET THE GUIDED TOUR! Rudy was so informative as he started as an archaeologist on the island in 1972! I won't spoil it for you, but this site is very connected to the other bigger and more famous sites. So much knowledge was gained through his expertise that words will not do it justice! The perfect guide and speaks English well. Still remember his fee. At the end of the tour if you liked it pay me $18. If you don't like it pay double!

1  Thank gdude38
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I guess when I had heard we were going to visit the ruins, I expected to see something like the Mayan temples (but ruined). This was a few stone like buildings that were in some instances a pile of stones. The cost was about $8 to get in, $4 in the first portion that included the gift shop and the additional $4 to get inside the park. We opted not to have the tour guide, because, well I figured I could read the plaques next to the stone formations to figure out what they "used" to be. But the route wasn't very clear as to where the tour path was.

If you don't have time to take the ride to the "other" Mayan ruins, then I guess this is a decent alternative ... just make sure you use some bug repellent, because I got bitten several time being in the park area. And perhaps spring for the guided tour to get the most out of your visit.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I know these ruins don't compare to Chichen Itza or Tulum, but, they are interesting and close to San Miguel. It was less strenuous on older members in our group since there are only a few stairs to navigate at the entrance(not to mention, no long bus and ferry rides both ways). I think it is worth the $8 entrance fee if it indeed goes towards conservation and not into someone's pocket.
We saw locals repairing the thatched roofs on several structures and were struck by how such an old talent still works today.

3  Thank KillerB33
Reviewed January 27, 2013

On 28 December 2012 just one week after the presumed end of the world according to Maya's Calendar we visited the San Gervasio Ruins in Cozumel Island of Mexico. The site is well maintained and worth visiting. The visit was organised as a guided tour lead by a local guide who knew what he was talking about. Nice cold bottled free drinking water was available in the coach. I suggest that a visitor to Cozumel should not miss this site.