“Hotel Cozumel - Excellent Value for the Price!!!”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Cozumel for 7 nights. When we first walked up to our room, we thought the hotel looked a bit on the older side. But that was about our only complaint. The hotel has a little bit of an older feel in the hallways. But once in the room, everything was very nice including our large balcony that overlooked the beautiful pool area. The staff at Hotel Cozumel are so polite & helpful! Everyone you pass or walk by went out of their way to just say hello, or see if they could help with anything. Daniel (bartender in the lounge bar) is such a great guy - so friendly & down to earth! He was so helpful with any questions we had regarding the island. The entertainment staff is a blast - very fun daily and nightly activities & shows. The hotel is in a fabulous location. It's a quick walk up to San Miguel or a short walk to go south by the other pier/town area. There is a underground walkway from the hotel to the ocean (they have a private beach area). They lend out snorkel equipment for free if you are a guest. They have a great spot to go snorkeling! One of the best areas we went to all week. The food was also great! Even though they don't offer alternate restaurants, the buffets have a large variety of food - and it was all great. We aren't seafood eaters at all. We tried the Grouper and enjoyed it more than most steaks!!! I cannot recommend this hotel enough. You cannot beat this hotel for the value!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tagirlracer83
Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed January 15, 2010

This hotel exceeded my expectations. My family was there for 14 nights. The rooms are consistent with other reviews in that they are basic and clean. Ours had some basic ammenities including HBO on the TV and air-conditioning. We choose the all-inclusive plan and the buffet meals were consistently good. Lots of choices including Mexican food and nice presentation. My only constructive critizism would be to suggest stronger coffee.

The ocean area lacked a beach, but provided a really nice sandy ambience with the beach club and palms just back from the short piers. The snorkelling was fantastic. People could access the ocean using several staircases and a shallow semi-natural circular sea pool. Right by the shore there was incredible diversity of fish and the dive shop staff were knowledgeable, thorough and competent.

The pool is impressively large. It was kept clean and the kids could have spent all day just there. The kids club was pretty basic but my kids loved the arts and crafts, ping pong, guitar hero, darts and other activities.

My wife enjoyed a very good massage at the resort.

What exceeded my expectations the most were the staff. All were courteous and enjoyable to interact with. Check in and check out was a breeze. Many were easy to share a joke and they seemed to enjoy their work. The guys in the restaurants and at the bars were efficient and pleasant and after a few days even knew what I wanted before I asked! They were even able to cook some fish I caught (for a small fee) and gave the meal a marvelous presentation. The activities during the day were led by really engaging and fun people. We had a Spanish lesson, snorkelling introduction including the shore swim and aerobics for anyone who wanted, just to name a few. At night there was always something going on. The management must really be getting bang for their buck with the staff because the same people providing the activities put on dance performances that were really far beyond what one might expect. The gals and guys had the audience enthralled by different themed performances. Antonio, Estel, Cesar, Alondra, Monica, Manuel and Margarita: BRAVO! This guy, Antonio MC'd most nights. Talk about multi-talented. Great with kids and adults and always there with a laugh or joke.

In summary, great staff and food at a clean hotel with very good value.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Barracuda9876
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Cozumel January 4 through January 11, 2010. Despite prior reviews, the service and the food was really very good. We booked the all-inclusive because we got a good deal, but are not big eaters and do not drink alcohol. It did look like the bar has top shelf liquor, both domestic and imported, for those of you who wish to imbibe. We were pleasantly surprised to discover towel art and fresh flowers every day in our room. The staff tries really hard, so we left lots of tips even though not expected. We booked an oceanview room which may have been a little quieter than the pool side. Right across the street is the beach club, restaurant and Dive Paradise. There is a tunnel going under the street over there for guest's convenience. We did not visit the pool as we dove most every day, weather permitting, with Dive Paradise or did beach dives. Be sure to see Ramone there - he is awesome. Dive Paradise has very professional, knowledgeable, friendly and fun staff. Upon check-in to the Hotel, you are given card room keys, beach locker key, room safe key and towel cards. Be sure to turn them all back in upon check out because fees will incur. We felt very safe at Hotel Coz. Be sure to bring your laptop- there is free high speed internet in your room, along wih a great balcony with two chairs, a table and lots of racks to hang your dive gear, etc. The location is just a few blocks from Chedrauri (Mexican Wal-Mart) and Mega Store (Mexican Wal-Mart), Punta Langosta Mall and all the shopping. The ferry to Playa de Carmen is also within walking distance. We rented a car at Less Pay Car Rental a few blocks north for 5 days and traveled all over the island. On the other side, visit Mezcalito's, Coconuts, and Bob Marley Bar - all bohemian in nature. You can walk the beach over there for what seems like miles without ever seeing anyone on the beach. We are already planning on our next trip to Cozumel and Hotel Cozumel!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank Susan_Powers_2004
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Was wonderful....we did the everything included and that is the only way to go!

Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank nofibs57
Reviewed January 11, 2010

One a scale of 1 to 5, it's a true 3.5. The rooms are basic and clean - exactly what we expected. Most of the staff were friendly and tried hard to be helpful. The staff who were supposed to be serving in the pool area had a bit of attitude that depended on how much you tipped, which though not actually allowed is common (tip jars at restaurant, bar etc...). The food was nothing to write home about, but there was always a reasonable selection and nobody's going hungry. The drinks are a bit watery (ask for a "double" on everything and it'll start tasting like you're used to). This is not a Sandals or Club Med, but you're not paying those prices either. It's more like a Holiday Inn. I think the location is great - away from downtown but really convenient for divers, close enough to walk to groceries, car rental etc...

But, the place has an identity crisis, probably because they are taking such a hit with the bad US economy and they are trying to be everything to everyone. It's says it's family-friendly (and they have excellent baby sitters, a great kid friendly pool, a kid play area - they really are trying), but there are also entertainers putting on shows until 11 or 12 at night that will keep you awake (the stage is in the area that most rooms overlook). Strange, because there were only about 20 folks watching, so it doesn't seem worth it.

If you are a diver having to get up early in the morning, this late night carousing doesn't make sense either. One of the comments above was about management asking a paying guest to move from a New Year's eve banquet table, and I was there - it happened and management definitely screwed up. It was embarrassing for everyone involved, and was really disrespectful to the already-seated guests.

Don't lose your safe key ($150 charge) or your towel chit ($50? I can't remember but it seemed like a lot). It's got wifi, a modest work out area, not too many loud guests (lower key folks mostly - nice), a great pool set up and overall it's good. There is not your traditional white sand beach - the transition from beach to water is rocky and only really manageable if you are going snorkeling or are a good swimmer, and besides it's also where the Scuba boats come in to pick up and drop off so be careful... You can't really tell all that from the pictures online and I wish the management would stop suggesting it's a great beach. It's not, but there is tons of shade, lawn chairs, and folks spent a lot of time hanging out there.

I would say that if they stop doing the silly late night shows, either enforce the no-tip policy or stop telling people it's no tipping when it is, and get the management to stop being so single minded and unresponsive (not staff - they mostly were quite good), it can be good. If you are a diver, it's super convenient (dive shop integrated with hotel). So in short - reasonably prices, great for divers, blah for families, okay food, great location, amazing pool, reasonable rooms. I won't recommend it only because I wished I'd been able to get more sleep...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank DivinginMexico
Reviewed January 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night when Continental asked us to delay our return home. The resorts public areas are clean and look nice. Pool was ok but the hot tub filter was not on for some reason and the hot tub was absolutely disgusting. It literally had scum collecting on the surface in places and the water was milky. Staff is mostly helpful and polite. Drinks are good, probably the best of any all inclusive I've been to. Food was very average. Definitely not bad but not too exciting either and it was all served buffet style. Service in the dining rooms was good. Their entertainment staff certainly tries hard but the shows are not worth your time. Our room was spacious and clean tho had a faint mildewy smell. Internet service was spotty. Long distance using the room phones was insanely expensive. I actually liked the water front area tho the sea was rough that day. Location is really good; close enough to town to walk there and close to the Mega Mart for supplies.
Not a bad place to stay but I would only recommend this place if you got a good deal.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Just got back last night from an 8 day stay at the hotel.This time we went with a group of 11 family members for a after holiday vacation.This was my third stay at the hotel and I think one of the best so far.
The girl at the desk remembered me from other stays and upgraded my wife and I to a junior suite which was very nice.The rest of the family was scattered around the resort and were very happy with their rooms.
We decided to do the all -inclusive this time as we were a large group and traveling with our kids who like to party.I think breakfast is the best meal at the hotel but have to say there was a nice variety of food at all the buffets.Food was well prepared and there was enough variety to satisfy our group.
The employee's were upbeat and friendly and seemed to enjoy working at the resort which makes for a more pleasant stay.They didn't offer mojioto's on the drink menu so we went to mega and purchased mint every day and they would make them for us special.
Another great thing about the resort is the price is reasonable so you don't feel bad when you want to skip the buffet and walk into town and have a great meal at one of the local restaurants.Our group walked into town 1 or 2 times per day,anybody who says it's a long walk into town probaly needs the walk.
I don't personally dive with their dive op because I really like like Blue Angel which is just a short walk down the road,but I did hear very good feedback about dive paradise.
I usually go to Coz 2 or 3 times per year and have stayed at many different resorts and this is one of my favorites for families and groups.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family