“My 4th trip”

Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Springfield,Illinois
“My 4th trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2005

We just returned from our 4th stay.We have always been very happy with this little place.The morning meals and lunch are very nice,great assortment.Every one is very gracious.Always greeted with a smile and a kind word.The pool is large and really nice. Nice pool bar and snack area. The rooms are nice ,everything worked.Our room faces the street and the views are great .However, it is not a sand beach property. They do have that great tunnel to a beach club area.There is some sand,and a great tanning area.Pool,bar and food area. Water entry is made from a series of stairs, wooden and stone.There is a great dive shop.People are all very warm and friendly.Every thing from snorkel to boat dives.Resort is within walking distance to town.Great location.Can't say enough about this place.One of the best 2star hotels around.I think it deserves more credit.

• Stayed October 2005
12 Thank fluffsMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Durham, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2005

Hotel Cozumel Resort is the best all around resort. I have been coming to Cozumel for seven years. I decided to stay at Hotel Cozumel due to the recent renovation at Plaza Las Glorias now called Cozumel Palace. Hotel Cozumel is within walking distance to town. This allows you the feedom to access town without the high taxi fares. A grocery store is within two blocks that has everything your could ever need while on vacation. The resort is not on the beach but has easy access with the underground tunel or simply crossing the street. Dive Paradise is on site providing all of your diving if you choose. The food is the biggest complaint in Mexico. We have to understand that processing of food is different in Mexico. However, the food at Los Arcos was the best I have ever had in Mexico. The all inclusive option is great but keep in mind town is just a short walk or $4 taxi ride not $20 from the southern hotels. I was impressed by the on-site gym, it actually has free wights. The staff was wonderful and the rooms were clean. Get use to different smells you are in Mexico. Enjoy your trip

• Stayed August 2005
13 Thank Paul T
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2005

We just returned from Cozumel. We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather. The food at the Hotel was very good. Take note, there are nights that they rotate the food selection, so read the menu before choosing which restaurant to dine at in the evening. The breakfast is good with a variety of choices each day. The pool is nice in that it is never too crowded as it is so big. The rooms were average. Be sure to not turn off the AC as this will cause a huge pool of condensation on the floor! The staff was very friendly and courteous. Be sure and be extra special nice to the bartender at the pool, he makes one mean MANGO MARGARITA - Oh Baby!!!! **Bring a large plastic cup with lid for your drinks, as they only give you 6 oz glasses at a time. They will gladly fill your cup full, if you have one.

My one and only complaint is that this in NOT beachfront property. There is no beach to speak of near this hotel. If you are a diver, this is the perfect place for you. However, if you are wanting to lay out at the beach close to your hotel, this is not the place for you! There is a public beach within 3 miles of the hotel, but you must ride a taxi or rent a car to get there.

15 Thank DARCY B
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2005

My husband and I went for a week with a large group of friends. I was disappointed with the service in the resturant and bar. For an all inclusive deal, it was not worth the extra money. Service was slow and the food was cold when you ordered due to the fact that it took more than two hours to get at times. The resturant staff was rude and slow.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our 10 day stay at HCR. We enjoyed it very much. There is slight to no cosmetic damage from hurricane Emily remaining. The staff works very hard to keep this hotel in good shape. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The food and drinks are ok. Eating here is pricy without an all-inclusive package. We really enjoyed snorkeling along the coast from the hotel. We went scuba diving for 5 days with the in-house outfit and had a wonderful experience. This is my second trip to Cozumel and second stay at HCR. I will definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2005

I have to say that the hotel was nice. However, I was really disappointed in the drinks. I tried just about every drink that was available. I tried margaritas, fuzzy navels, beer (Sol is the only all-inclusive beer), pina colada, etc.. I was so disappointed. I kept asking people what they were drinking. Most people paid out-of-pocket for better tasting beer(which is a very limited selection-none that I am familiar with), or they were trying very hard to swallow down this stuff. I am not picky when it comes to drinks. I drink just about anything, but their selection and brands were so weak. A lot of people must have felt the same way, because there were a lot of abandoned, full glasses all over the pool area. If you have already booked at this hotel, order strawberry daquiri with banana, that was the most decent drink that they had. Plus, if you like to party, wait until the night time when you can visit Senor Frogs. They have a lot of drinks available. They even had my favorite Yaegerbombs.

The food at the hotel was okay. It is all-inclusive, so I didn't expect it to be grand. I had read a lot of reviews saying how bad it was, but it wasn't. I will warn you, though. They give you a menu with food that is both included and not included. In other words, they try to trick you into buying something. The menu does not indicate what is not part of all-inclusive. I asked every time. They didn't seem to like it, but I was not going to pay more than I needed to. So when in doubt, ask. I do think that you will find that the food is okay. If not, there are a lot of local places that are very affordable.

Being that food and drinks were part of the all-inclusive package, I would definitely never stay here again on an all-inclusive package. I would just pay for the hotel room. If I intended to lounge around and have a few good drinks, this would not be the place for me. I would look for a hotel that serves top quality liquor. It would depend on the crowd that I came with. If you are coming with the intentions of staying in the hotel most of the time--good luck. If you are planning on enjoying the rest of Cozumel and possibly go island hopping, this hotel will do.

One big thing that annoyed me about this hotel was that they had only one elevator. Our room was on the third floor. It was a pain to go back up and down. The elevator is close to the rooms that round off to the nearest hundred. For example, my room was 125?. That was more of a walk than taking the stairs. The first floor rooms start with 1000s.The second floor starts with 1100s. The third floor starts with the 1200s. In my case, the elevator seemed miles away. Believe me when I tell you that by the second night, you will want to consider changing rooms. It may not seem like a big deal now, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a room near the elevator. By the way, the room was great. You might need a little deodorizer on the first day, but the bed was great, the view was great, the balcony is nice, the bathroom flushing is excellent (you won't find that anywhere else in Cozumel), and most importantly the a/c works wonderfully.

I had read reviews that complained about the pool. The pool was great, don't be worried. It is the perfect size. One time when my friend and I asked for a ride back to our hotel, the cab driver asked if it was the hotel with the big pool. I suppose it must have one of the nicest pools in the area.

As for everything else that is offered in the all-inclusive package, it didn't seem readily available. They never told us when they were doing the latin dancing or cooking classes. The tennis court was empty. I did not even see the kayaks. I did not enforce these things. They were not that important to me, but if they are to you, ask when you arrive. The nightly entertaining seemed really dull to me, but if you are with your family, that might be the thing for you. I was with my best friend, and we wanted to dance and have a good time. We took a cab for $3 every night to Senor Frogs.

If you are on your way to Cozumel soon, let me assure you that the hurricane damage was very minimal to the area. Either it was very minimal or they clean up really quickly. Sure, there are some areas that looked more damaged than others, but the hotel and the main parts, were all in good shape.

I hope this review helps you.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2005

My friend and I just spent 4 days at the Cozumel Hotel and Resort. I have been fortunate in the fact that I do get to travel to some of the fun places in the Carribean and the United States. With that experience and all the factors considered we enjoyed our stay in Cozumel very much and would stay there again if winds take us there. We found the hotel to be clean, the service excellant and the property a nice place to be. The pool area was exceptional and very relaxing. Yes the beach is almost non existant but the man made area was nice and there are areas only a short cab ride away with great snorkling etc. The food in our all inclusive package was more than adequate but if it is cruise ship quality you are looking for it is not. The nightlife is tame but the town is only a hop, skip and jump away. You can find plenty of late night activity there. In a posted review someone complained that the floors were always wet. Yes at times they were but that is because of the open hallways and some very heavy showers. The staff were always working on it when it happened, just do't run. Speaking of rain, we were there just prior to the big storms in July and have heard several resorts took a hit. I do not know if it affected the CHR. Also shop around on different web sites we found a great price on a lesser known service that saved us over $130.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member