“not for people who enjoy drinks”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
montgomery, il
Reviewed August 12, 2005

I have to say that the hotel was nice. However, I was really disappointed in the drinks. I tried just about every drink that was available. I tried margaritas, fuzzy navels, beer (Sol is the only all-inclusive beer), pina colada, etc.. I was so disappointed. I kept asking people what they were drinking. Most people paid out-of-pocket for better tasting beer(which is a very limited selection-none that I am familiar with), or they were trying very hard to swallow down this stuff. I am not picky when it comes to drinks. I drink just about anything, but their selection and brands were so weak. A lot of people must have felt the same way, because there were a lot of abandoned, full glasses all over the pool area. If you have already booked at this hotel, order strawberry daquiri with banana, that was the most decent drink that they had. Plus, if you like to party, wait until the night time when you can visit Senor Frogs. They have a lot of drinks available. They even had my favorite Yaegerbombs.

The food at the hotel was okay. It is all-inclusive, so I didn't expect it to be grand. I had read a lot of reviews saying how bad it was, but it wasn't. I will warn you, though. They give you a menu with food that is both included and not included. In other words, they try to trick you into buying something. The menu does not indicate what is not part of all-inclusive. I asked every time. They didn't seem to like it, but I was not going to pay more than I needed to. So when in doubt, ask. I do think that you will find that the food is okay. If not, there are a lot of local places that are very affordable.

Being that food and drinks were part of the all-inclusive package, I would definitely never stay here again on an all-inclusive package. I would just pay for the hotel room. If I intended to lounge around and have a few good drinks, this would not be the place for me. I would look for a hotel that serves top quality liquor. It would depend on the crowd that I came with. If you are coming with the intentions of staying in the hotel most of the time--good luck. If you are planning on enjoying the rest of Cozumel and possibly go island hopping, this hotel will do.

One big thing that annoyed me about this hotel was that they had only one elevator. Our room was on the third floor. It was a pain to go back up and down. The elevator is close to the rooms that round off to the nearest hundred. For example, my room was 125?. That was more of a walk than taking the stairs. The first floor rooms start with 1000s.The second floor starts with 1100s. The third floor starts with the 1200s. In my case, the elevator seemed miles away. Believe me when I tell you that by the second night, you will want to consider changing rooms. It may not seem like a big deal now, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a room near the elevator. By the way, the room was great. You might need a little deodorizer on the first day, but the bed was great, the view was great, the balcony is nice, the bathroom flushing is excellent (you won't find that anywhere else in Cozumel), and most importantly the a/c works wonderfully.

I had read reviews that complained about the pool. The pool was great, don't be worried. It is the perfect size. One time when my friend and I asked for a ride back to our hotel, the cab driver asked if it was the hotel with the big pool. I suppose it must have one of the nicest pools in the area.

As for everything else that is offered in the all-inclusive package, it didn't seem readily available. They never told us when they were doing the latin dancing or cooking classes. The tennis court was empty. I did not even see the kayaks. I did not enforce these things. They were not that important to me, but if they are to you, ask when you arrive. The nightly entertaining seemed really dull to me, but if you are with your family, that might be the thing for you. I was with my best friend, and we wanted to dance and have a good time. We took a cab for $3 every night to Senor Frogs.

If you are on your way to Cozumel soon, let me assure you that the hurricane damage was very minimal to the area. Either it was very minimal or they clean up really quickly. Sure, there are some areas that looked more damaged than others, but the hotel and the main parts, were all in good shape.

I hope this review helps you.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Boston
Reviewed August 4, 2005

My friend and I just spent 4 days at the Cozumel Hotel and Resort. I have been fortunate in the fact that I do get to travel to some of the fun places in the Carribean and the United States. With that experience and all the factors considered we enjoyed our stay in Cozumel very much and would stay there again if winds take us there. We found the hotel to be clean, the service excellant and the property a nice place to be. The pool area was exceptional and very relaxing. Yes the beach is almost non existant but the man made area was nice and there are areas only a short cab ride away with great snorkling etc. The food in our all inclusive package was more than adequate but if it is cruise ship quality you are looking for it is not. The nightlife is tame but the town is only a hop, skip and jump away. You can find plenty of late night activity there. In a posted review someone complained that the floors were always wet. Yes at times they were but that is because of the open hallways and some very heavy showers. The staff were always working on it when it happened, just do't run. Speaking of rain, we were there just prior to the big storms in July and have heard several resorts took a hit. I do not know if it affected the CHR. Also shop around on different web sites we found a great price on a lesser known service that saved us over $130.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ft worth, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2005

Sales dept and the front desk was very helpful
However the service at the restaurant was very poor.
yes, it was all-inclusive but when you wait most of times for 1-2 hours for your food ordering from the menu is bad. The buffet is where they want you to go. The service at the bar was no different when they saw you had a braclet on your arm they became slower and then they wanted a tip as well. We have stayed there for 2 different times and this time was the worst. It became very aparent that the tourist where there to pay and to get every penny from you, regardless what service you would encounter. I would suggest checking all the reviews and see what you are expecting, before investing your TIME and MONEY on slow service.

Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Colorado
Reviewed July 18, 2005

Beach: We were very disappointed in the beach area. It is not the relaxing picture one has in his/her head when one thinks of sitting on the beach of an island. It is a VERY SMALL man made beach set up on rocks with rows of beach chairs and a loud restaurant behind. Not tranquil at all.

Room: The a/c worked great, but it leaked badly in the vanity area creating water puddles on the floor. The ceiling there was starting to fall in. The rest of the room was in decent condition. The beds were comfortable, and the balcony area was spacious and had a nice view of the pool area.

Pool: Beautiful, but not deep enough. It is 4' all over. It needs to be cleaned more often. Water volleyball games were continuous (even in the rain.) There were lots of comfortable beach chairs under palm trees which made it relaxing. The bad thing was the music. It was too much and too loud for such a relaxing area.

Food: We chose not to do the all inclusive deal and we are glad we did not. We ate out alot and found much better food than what was being offered at the hotel. We did eat breakfast at the buffet every morning. It was so-so and not worth $10 per person by a long shot. We also had snacks at the pool bar that were OK for fast food. The drinks were made of cheap liquor which was probably watered down. It's a good thing we are not big drinkers. We ate out most of the time and enjoyed that much more than the all inclusive thing. We recommend getting soft tacos with fresh guacomole at any of the little places a block or two back off the main road. They seem to be open 24hours a day. There are some excellent seafood restaurants in San Miguel as well, such as El Capitan Navigado. Prices are much more reasonable if you get away from the main plaza and ocean front area.

Water: We did not have a problem with it like we have had in the past. I think they have improved their filtration systems on Cozumel. It still tastes a little funny, but we did not get sick. From previous experience, and as a precaution, we tried to use bottled water as much as possible.

Snorkeling: Excellent, large snorkel area, lots of fish and nice depth. The water was fabulous, just like a big bathtub - with fish!

Diving: Dive store and reservation desk on site. Dive lockers available at no charge. Small, fast boats were great. No crowding, 8 people max! Plenty big enough for 2 peoples dive equipment. The dive masters and boat captains were very nice and knew the area well. They were also very patient with beginners, yet accomodated the more experienced divers wonderfully. It helps to know a few spanish phrases for use on the boat though. The captains and assistants are not as fluent in english as are the dive masters. One does not need a dive skin in June. It was 84 degrees at 60 feet and 92 degrees at the surface.

Hotel Facilities: The elevators are VERY small and not safe. The doors will close right on you if you are not careful. There is also only one set of elevators in the main lobby, although it is only a three story hotel, if you use the elevator, you have to walk a long ways to get to your room if it not in the main area. The grounds are nicely groomed and kept clean for the most part. The store has a very bad stench in it that doesn't seem to be getting addressed. Entertainment was lacking. The shows were not good. The childrens area was very nice, lots to do for a kid. Taxi's were always available and only a few dollars to get to the main plaza and back. One could walk, but the sidewalks are not maintained and trashy, making it a little scary having to walk in the road at certain spots.

The staff was cordial, but I wouldn't call them friendly. They did what they had to do and that was it.

The weather was OK, it rained alot the day before we left, but it was kind of nice. Bugs and mosquitos were expected, it is the tropics.

Overall we will probably not stay at this resort again. It is a different culture and certain differences are expected, but there is no excuse for poor service or quality when you are paying a price for what should be better. Especially when that price is very comparible to what one would pay for a similarly rated resort in, say, Florida. We enjoy Cozumel very much and have been there several times, so we are not speaking as stuck-up Americans, we are speaking as seasoned Cozumel visitors. We know that better is offered there for the same price, this resort just did not seem to have that standard. We do not feel that we got our money's worth.

Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2005

Our third year here and this was like a dream come true. My husband dives with a bunch and that was fabulous. I snorkel out front and that's fabulous too. Food was great and a different array for picky eaters too. Loved the sunset dinners best. Something I won't forget for a mighty long time. The personal that worked there are very friendly and the rooms was just fine too.
Took a jeep one day around the island and that was fun and easy. Spent time in town and you can walk from the hotel if you prefer. One problem and that was I didn't spend a longer time there. I will be back. :-)

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Cozumel Resort July 7th-13th, We opted for the All-Inclusive plan. We have never been to Mexico before so we did a lot of research on the different Hotels. I read the reviews almost daily to see what people were saying about this hotel. I got a little nervous with some of the bad reviews I was reading but we decided that we were just going to have to see for ourselves.
To start off, When we got to the hotel we got checked in right away and was taken to our room. It was not the room that we were suppose to get. It was a double bed and a non smoking room... which was no big deal...but we wanted at least a King size bed...so we did go back down and talk to them about it. They were full the first night so they asked us if we would stay in that room for the night and that they would have another room for us the next day. Which they did. We had a very nice room with a King size bed. The showers are just what everyone else has been saying..the shower heads are really really low so be careful not to hit your head when rinising your hair.
The food was ok...nothing great or lavish. Neither one of us got sick from the food and we ate at both resturants. The entire staff at the hotel were very friendly and they were always making sure the property was clean and ready for the next day. We never encountered one rude or angry employee at that hotel including the bartenders at the outdoor bar.
The entertainment at the hotel was pretty good....not as bad as what other reviews said. The way I look at it is they are TRYING/ATTEMPTING to entertain us while we are there...they are not professionals by any means..but they were trying to get the hotel guests involved in different things and they even were entertaining to the kids that were staying at the hotel. They played music during the day and even got involved with the guests by playing Water Volleyball, or different sports. I think they go to a great effort to try to make the guests feel welcome and to help them enjoy there stay.
Downtown is very close to the hotel, in which we walked there numerous times, you have to realize that you are not in the United States and they do not have the city maintance crews that we are all used to..it is still a very poor country. For never being out the United States before it was something to see. Shopping was plentiful there...numerous little stores downtown and nothing was really expensive.. I did notice that if the Cruise Ships were docked they would not bargin that much.. but when they were gone they would. The people do try to get you into their store. One guy told us " Come in and look at my junk" Which I got a good laugh at. They were all very friendly even when you did not go into their store. Shopping was Great for me. Probably not so much for my Husband! HA.
We did take the Jungle Jeep tour...which was awesome. I would recommend that to anyone that stays in Cozumel.
One downfall we did have: We rented a vehicle from our hotel, Fiesta Car Rental and we were told that we were getting a 2 year old Tracker..but they didn't have one available at the hotel so we waited for one to be brought down to us... When it arrive that thing was a piece of crap, Rust all over, it was so loud, you could smell gas fumes from it. We actually didn't think it was going to get us back to the hotel. The service engine light was on from the moment we got it and it was still on when we were done with it.
We did drive it to Punta Sur lighthouse and it was such a wonderful view of the island. Make sure you go there. Also make sure you vist Mr. Sancho's Beach..it is a public beach and will not cost you anything to go there. The sand is nice and the water is beatiful. There are beaches along there that you do have to pay to get into.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is going to Cozumel. I am sure there are other hotels that are nicer and have better food and are probably more expensive...so it is your decision but don't let the bad reviews turn you away...which it almost did to us. You need to find out for yourselves...If anyone has any questions about the hotel, please feel free to email me. I will give you my honest opinion! We will definetly come back and maybe next time...we will bring our kids.

6  Thank Herd
Reviewed July 13, 2005

We stayed the week of July 1-8. I have been to Mexico on 3 other occasions so I had an idea that the bad reviews were from people expecting something more like they find in the US. This hotel was rated a 3 star by our funjet rep. The reason being it is across the street from the beach, and the beach was man-made. There were 8 in our party, family and friends, and everyone had a great time. We are not divers, and the hotel is geared toward divers, but that did not stop us from having a ball. The food, while deffiantly mexician, was more than adequet. We never went hungry. Breakfast was the best, and supper in the Arco Rest. was good. We ordered off the menu, and only a couple of times did not like the food. So we ate more dessert and ordered another drink! We went with the all-inclusive plan, and felt with just breakfast and the drinks it was well worth it. We spend several afternoons by the pool and we enjoyed Raymond, and his crazy "meows". The kids that put on the evening shows gave it their all, and we enjoyed watching and participating in them. My kids also enjoyed karoke every night, and I stayed up and watched them a couple of times. We all snorkled right at the hotel, and it was beautiful. We also took the jeep/jungle tour and enjoyed the snorkeling and the bbq chicken on the beach. This hotel was the cleanest, nicest and most accomodating hotel I have stayed in while visiting Mexico. The bartenders were good to my kids (all over 21) and took care of them until they closed the bars most nights. Mexico is what you make of it. IT IS NOT THE U.S. If you are open minded to fun and relaxation, and remember that you are getting a bargain, then you will enjoy your visit to the Hotel Cozumel. If you want to vacation at the Ritz, then don't go to Mexico......and yes, I got sick, but that was my own fault, you have to be careful in any foreign country...take your amodium AD, and some pepto....and get ready for some fun, sun, good "real" mexican food, and some great people that work hard.....don't forget to tip!

8  Thank Cindy F