“We had a great time, good hotel for the money.”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Columbia, South Carolina
“We had a great time, good hotel for the money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed here almost a week in May. This hotel is very good for the money. The location is great and the snorkeling was good in front of their beach. The beach was larger than expected and was never crowded. There were several entry points in the water for snorkeling or shore diving. There is a pier where dive boats can pick up divers. I dove with Dive Paradise twice and had a good experience. We went with the all inclusive plan because is was too cheap not too. My wife did not care for the food, I thought it was OK. The drinks from the bar were good though. If you are a beer drinker, they only have Sol. We will probably stay here again sometime and may skip the all inclusive and just eat in town. The grocery store is less than a 10 minute walk towards town (Chedraui). There are several restaurants within a 10 to 20 minute walk. We had a couple minor issues with the room but they were taken care of quickly. The AC was cold. There are no refrigerators in the rooms. Our room was downstairs near the lobby and we always had a decent internet connection. Not great but decent. The pool was large and always looked clean. We didn't go to the pool much since we spent most of our time at the beach area. The hot tub was only lukewarm. The staff was fairly friendly and the rooms were always clean. The beds were hard but that didn't bother us. Overall we had a great stay. This is a good 3 star hotel, not 5. Good value for the money. I would note that the worst thing about Cozumel is the transportation. Cabs are expensive so we did a lot of walking. We never ventured out too far. If we go back, we will rent a car. Car rentals aren't that expensive if you rent in advance. It's something to check into.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank oiblkn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

I am staying in this resort in Cozumel in May 2014. I have spent 5 days here so far. I came to Cozumel for the diving. I spent about 1200 for a week with 3 dives included per day. I am staying in a room by myself. This is an all-inclusive deal, where all meals are included and all drinks, including Mexican alcohol. There is a Dive shop attached to the hotel, 200 ft from the main lobby. There is a beach and a pier in front of the dive shop. The beach is not a sandy beach, but you can swim and snorkel there. The hotel has beach chairs and umbrellas there for the clients. You can also shore dive in front of the dive shop to adjust your diving equipment if you want to, the dive shop gives you a free scuba tank to try out and adjust your equipment when you arrive. The hotel has a nice large pool with a water font in the center. There is a bar by the pool, if you like to drink tequila and pina colada after a dive, the pool is a nice place to relax. There is a small gym, but it is not good, no treadmill, no air conditioning, only free weights, no exercise equipment for the legs, etc. The internet in the rooms is really bad, but the internet works well in the hotel lobby. The hotel is 30 min walking distance from downtown and an hour away from the nice reefs located in the southern part of the island.

The food is ok, they have three restaurants, you will not be hungry. They serve chicken, pork, and beef every meal. There is vegetables every meal. There are fresh eggs and omelets in the mornings. The seafood is not that great though, no shrimp or any well known fish dishes. The beers and cocktails are great, Mexican wine on the other hand is just ok.

The hotel and dive shop staff are really friendly. They are always in a good mood and willing to help. The rooms are clean and quiet, so we can get a good sleep at night.

The diving staff (the company name is Dive Paradise) were very nice in all my dives so far (I dove about 15 times so far). I must say they are all friendly. The dive shop has struck rules about the dive schedule. When you book the room, the place all the dives day after day in the schedule, you must give them 24 hours or more to change your dive day, say you want to skip a day and stay in the pool, you need to plan this in advance. There are lockers and hangers for your dive equipment in front of the dive shop, so you can keep your stuff there when you dive.

For the whole operation to get a 5 star from me, they will have to have good internet in all rooms, the food could be a bit better with at least a bit more variety, and the dive shop should be more flexible to let us schedule and change our dives without 24 to 48 hours notice.

Before booking a dive trip in Cozumel, you may consider getting a Hotel in the southern part of the southern part of the island and also consider buying to room separate from the dives. This may place you closer to the southern reefs (more time to spend relaxing in the hotel,;better night dives, they do not travel an hour for a night dive) and allow you more flexibility to schedule your dives when you are here.

:-)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank celadeira
Belfast & Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was trying to book the hotel at a rate of $97.50 USD per night via their website, however there is a potential security issue with their website or host server. This was flagged by a security app I use for all financial transactions online. While I’m sure my reservation would have been received, I could not, in due diligence, put my credit card information their a site/server that may be at risk of being compromised. I'm not implying that the hotel is a potential 'scam' however there might be a 3rd party compromise that even they are not aware of.

Message via my alert app was "IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE ENTERING PAYMENT INFORMATION INTO AN UNSECURED OR HIGH RISK WEBSITE. WE RECOMMEND NOT ENTERING VISA CARD INFORMATION TO THIS SITE"

Normally, if I was making a reservation for a hotel before my travel to the destination, I would have just stopped my inquiry with the hotel and make a booking elsewhere. However, at the time of my inquiry I was already in Cozumel, staying with friends in a rental house. Because of the problem with the website, I telephoned the hotel...to explain. Not only did the first member of staff maintain that I would have to pay a higher $112.50 per night, despite my explanation, when they transferred my phone call to Angel, reservations manager, he also insisted that to get the cheaper rate, I would need to book via the web site. I could understand if I was trying to get a price via an EXPEDIA or HOTELS.com or similar etc that I would need to book a room using those web sites. But this was the hotels own website. Where is the logic? I even had the website information ‘screen saved’ on my iPad to show that there was a problem with the hotel...not me!

Why is this? Where is the ‘logic’. I can see the cheaper price on the website. I can inform them about this cheaper price. I told them I would be at their hotel within 1 hour of my phone call, which I was. When at reception, I asked for Angel but he did not come out to speak with me at reception.

I was NOT happy being made to pay the higher rate $112.50 through no fault of mine, especially when I phoned them in advance to try and educate/clarify/ bring this issue to their attention...for example, if I wasn't already in Cozumel, I would have made a reservation elsewhere....HOW MANY OTHER POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS HAVE, INDEED, AVOIDED MAKING A RESERVATION VIA THEIR WEB SITE? Will never know.

Now, on to other factors,

ROOMS - spacious. dated, old, but clean and very typical of resorts such as this. I was happy. However, per some other reviews, there is 'something' about the mattresses...I woke up frequently during the night...and I do like a firm mattress (as other's have complained). It is subjective, of course...maybe it was that i went to bed earlier than normal thus affected my sleep pattern...

POOL - very big. excellent pool.

BAR (poolside) - all staff very friendly and accommodating.

FOOD (poolside) - limited snack/buffet...often barely warm never mind hot. But, hey, no worries.

FOOD (inside) - a wide variety - most people should be able to find some items to enjoy.

FOOD (BEACHSIDE) - via the underground passageway...ok selection. Nice beach/hang out area. But why does it stop service (beverages) at 4 opt 4:30pm? This beach area allows you to enjoy the sunsets as west facing.....but it shuts down re service long before that? Huh?!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Monrush

Travelers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

This was our second time at Hotel Cozumel and won't be our last. We now have too many friends who are consistent guests as well as staff members.

My husband and I have have both worked in hospitality and we both are impressed with their down-to-Earth professionalism and sincerity.

Yes, this place is all-inclusive, tips are optional. Please consider that option. We budget about $15 - 20 each a day: $5 a day for housekeeping (combined), a dollar for the table for each meal, a dollar if we get an omlette or made-to-order eggs, a fajita from the grill or something at the carving station for dinner, and a few for the bar or bar wait staff. $2-5 for bell men or front desk assistance. For diving, we budget at least 5 each for each boat dive. In our opinion, and experience you almost can't go off the resort for less than $15 per person per day. Respect begets respect, of course.

We were also impressed again with the consistent cleanliness.

The food options can sometimes appear tiring. I'm not sure if it was because we stayed during and after the Easter holiday, but the population, selection and freshness of food choices dwindled after the majority of the guests left. I understand budgets, and support all kitchens' need to use what they have. I understand it is an island where resources are limited and pricey. I understand and thankful the left over carved pork roast winds up in a delicious, savory tomato and poblano sauce over rice for lunch or dinner the next day. However, there were a few too many left-over re-inventions than we experienced on our last visit.

Fortunately, we consider this place as much of a value that we did venture to a few nearby affordable places for dinner for added variety. And, there is food we look forward to. We love their marinated grilled chicken fajitas and their salsa verde is like none other we've ever had. We put it on just about anything that rocks with some zip - even our omlettes.

Overall, another delightful stay! Looking forward to our return.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms are the least soundproof. You can hear normal-level conversations. We didn't m...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TheScubaLyons
Charlotte, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

This is my second trip staying at Hotel Cozumel and Resort, and once again, it did not disappoint. On our next trip we are definitely going to stay here again!

To be clear, this isn't a high-end resort like El Presidente or the Iberostar, but if you are expecting this hotel to be that "fancy" at this price, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. With that said, this hotel continues to be a very decent, clean hotel at a great value and at a great location. The staff is always very friendly and ready to help. The lobby is nice, open, and clean. Our room was once again clean and good sized for 2 adults. We had a good-sized balcony that overlooked the main road in front of the hotel. We were concerned that it would be loud, but it wasn't as bad as feared. You could indeed hear traffic noise at times, but the view was nice, and last year when we overlooked the pool, we could hear pool noise, so I don't think it really matters one way or another. The balcony has both hooks and rails to hang stuff to dry (scuba gear, swim suits, etc.) The bath/shower is a heck of a step up and down (the bottom of the tub is easily 9" above floor level, so be careful!), and the bottom of the tub was peeling enamel a bit, but otherwise, the room was in good repair. The A/C unit will cool you to whatever level you like, from "meat locker" to "barely cool", and it's easy to adjust via a remote. My only other complaint about the room continues to be the mattress itself. Man, are they firm! Otherwise, the rooms are great, and the housekeeping service was excellent.

The pool area is nice, with lots of chairs and options for full sun, partial sun/shade, or full shade depending on what you want. This hotel does have the biggest pool on the island, so it rarely feels crowded, and there is a snack and drink bar right next to the pool. Waiters also roam the pool area during the day to get you drinks on request. Do note that because this is the biggest pool on the island, it appears that local schools sometimes use it for activities. In the past, we've seen swimming classes in the afternoon, and during our stay, on several days it looked like there were large numbers of young school kids at the pool for several hours in the morning for a field trip or something of the like. They were active in the pool and made noise, but I didn't notice them disrupting the guest all that much - the pool was just way more occupied than normal. I don't think this is a regular thing, but just be aware that this is possible.

Towels are made available to guest - you exchange a card for a towel (and they are pretty decent sized towels) when you arrive, and you can exchange for a clean towel at any time the pool activity center is open (8am to 6pm) - you may also be able to exchange at the front desk, but we never tried, we just planned to exchange during regular hours. At the end of the trip, you exchange your towel back for the card and return the card at checkout. If you do not, there will be a charge added to your bill for the towel. Trust me, they are nice towels, but not worth the $30 you'll be charged for making off with them.

There is also a safe in your room that is free to use during your stay. To be fair, this isn't a safe that's going to stop a really determined thief, but it is nice to put tablets, spare cash, phones, etc. in to keep yourself a little safer from petty theft. They aren't big enough for laptops, but we fit 2 tablets (kindle 10" or so and a 7" nook) along with various envelopes, passports, wallets, phones, etc. As with the towels, there's a fee if you don't return the key at the end of your stay, I think it's around $150. So hold on tight to your key!!

There is a tunnel under the street to the beach club/beach area/Dive Paradise shop and dock across the street. Use it whenever possible, crossing the street during a busy traffic time is an adventure to say the least. The beach area isn't great - nice white sand, and there are some chairs under palm trees. However, access into the ocean is a little tricky, as it requires the use of swim ladders. If you do get in, the snorkeling in the hotels lagoon is pretty nice. Watch out for boats, though, as the lagoon is shared with the Dive Paradise boat dock. This is very convenient if you are a diver, but not so much if you're trying to swim. Also, we tried to hang out at the beach one day, but there were two cruise ship activities going on at the same time, and there was so much yelling over microphones that I went back to the pool to hang out with the school kids, they were quieter! =0)

If you are a diver staying at this hotel, I recommend booking with Dive Paradise. It's a good operation, and they are super convenient, as the shop is right across the road and accessible from the tunnel.

We again did the all inclusive, and were not disappointed this year either. All inclusive includes as much food and beverage as you care to eat (including any sort of alcohol that you want - there may be exclusions to this, but we pretty much stuck to beer and your typical tropical mixed drinks) from 6:30am to 2:00am (locations vary during this time). The drinks are good, the food is decent and plentiful. It's not gourmet by any means, but it's perfect ok, filling food, and there's typically a good variety to choose from. NOTE: All inclusive DOES NOT INCLUDE TIPPING THE STAFF!!! Do make sure that you tip everyone, and try not to be too cheap about it. Many if not most of the staff make their living off tips, so pony up people! I'm shocked by the amount of people handing by the pool all day that didn't appear to tip the servers a single time. We tipped with every drink and at every meal, and I don't think I spent more than $15-20 a day in tips. Seriously, this is an inexpensive hotel, so don't be a complete cheapskate!

Finally, if you are interested in shopping or other activities, this hotel is an easy 15 minute walk to Punta Langosta (the mall at the end of the cruise ship dock near "downtown", and another 5 minutes beyond that to the town plaza. Lots of shopping to be had there. If you don't want to walk, it's a 5 minute taxi ride, will cost you $3 per person (don't forget to tip!). There are also several travel agents and rental desks that are staffed in the lobby during the day. We've never used any of them, but they appear to be reputable.

Hope you stay here, and if so, hope you enjoy it!

Room Tip: If you have a physical disability and will need to use the elevator regularly, make sure you ask for...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jenn B
Cozumel, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was there just for the day so I cannot rate the rooms, but Melinda, Gia, Emmanuel and Norberto gave some excellent Zumba classes, both in and out of the pool. They all have different styles which made for an exciting and varied dance combination. Best hotel Zumba classes ever!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Calle3Girl
Gastonia, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We check in and I was a little disappointed in the lobby as it wasn't super nice. They did give us an arrival drink though. I travel to Cozumel pretty often, but I have only stayed at the Cozumel Palace and the Fiesta American a few times. I suppose I was expecting nearly as nice as Fiesta Americana, which is OK but nothing special. It wasn't that nice though.

The Hotel Cozumel seemed to be a little run down as far as a maintenance perspective, it also seemed to attract some lower end clientele. It also seemed like it was a resort for mostly people from the main island of Mexico.

The staff were pretty helpful, but I was just a little let down by the lobby. The room itself was a little nicer than the lobby, but one of our friends we were traveling with (on our reservation) was in a room that smelled horribly of smoke. They changed their room, but it still shouldn't have smelled that way. Our room had an ashtray but it didn't smell bad. Also in our room sound traveled really bad from the room next door of "adult noises" and it was REALLY LOUD AND BAD. I couldn't have imagined having a child in the room with us hearing that.

The dive shop personal were nice, but the dock and water entry areas for snorkeling were run down and pretty treacherous. It looked pretty bad. The dive staff was great and super friendly though and the dives were great.

The food was decent overall.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are smoking, and if you have noisy neighbors you are in bad shape.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family