“A 3 star hotel, but great for diving and good service”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A 3 star hotel, but great for diving and good service”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

If u r diving (with padi certified dive paradise), this is a great place to stay. Breakfast is average, lunch near dive shop is decent, but dinner is buffet-only and average (we got room service and they seem to be able to make more items than on the menu, which is nice). Most of staff seem to speak at least a little bit of English, however knowing Spanish is a huge plus in this hotel. Says resort but more like a hotel.

Biggest con was location. It is about a mile from dntown and we had to cab it every time bcos there is not much to do around here at night including dinner options.

Overall good value for the money.

1 Thank GanaK98

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Ontario
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We were on Cozumel for the Ironman and staying at a hotel in the centro. For a day of AI fun we decided to check out the Hotel Cozumel on a day pass. Before even embarking on our trip, communication with the hotel was fast and friendly. When we arrived at the lobby, we paid our $30/pp but didn't realize we'd need ID for towel cards. Rather than make a big issue out of it, the front desk let us have the cards anyway; that was refreshing (and they got their towels back! LOL)

We split our time between the little beach area--great for snorkeling!--and the pool, and enjoyed both aspects. We were able to eat at the pool buffet, and we found the food to be pretty much what you'd expect at an AI. The fish and rice were delicious, and the made-while-you-wait fajitas were awesome. The staff at both the restaurant and the bars were very friendly, with special thanks to Jose Alberto (or Juan Alberto?). The only negative I can think of was that we were unable to have our supper at the buffet, as Mother Nature decided to let loose with a norte and the buffet was quickly closed up at least a half an hour early.

When we returned to the Hotel Coz for the pre-race meeting, the staff was once again very friendly and welcoming. We can't wait to stay here in the future!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Desmei
Farmington, New Mexico
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hotel Cozumel and Resort is a very well priced, affordable, alternative to some of the very pricy, overrated hotels nearby. Several reviewers have complained about the food and the wifi. The food was decent and was exactly what you should expect for what you pay - this is NOT a five star hotel and doesnt pretend to be. As fro the wifi - seriously? On vacation? Sure it was inconvenient but really? Apparently, we Americans expect the same service no matter where we travel.

For us the rooms AND the hotel was very clean - we were there the week AFTER Ironman, so it was nice and quiet (hint hint). The food was decent quality, again, not 5 star but its a 5 star hotel. The pool was fabulous and the staff were INCREDIBLY helpful and friendly. The dive operation I went (Aqua Safari) with picked me up from the beach pier every day with no problems. The inhouse dive operation DIve Paradise uses very small boats, some with no cover, which was a reason to go with Aqua Safari (big, covered boats) but having said that, the Dive Paradise team were very helpful fixing my regulator after it malfunctioned.

We WILL be booking our trip for next year this week and will thoroughly recommend the Hotel Cozumel to anyone who is looking for an affordable, friendly, convenient place to stay.

Now, here's the bad part: the car rental company. DO NOT USE them! We rented a car from them that was a death trap: the seat belts didnt work, brakes didnt work, rusted throughout. I would suggest renting from an established company - after touring the island in a different vehicle, we will be renting scooters next year!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are fabulous!
4 Thank marcusa246
Ca
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is one of the host hotels for the Ironman race, so my thoughts are sort of from a racer's perspective (maybe I'd get something with more stars for a pure vacay):

Things I liked:

- The all-inclusive food is totally fine and we ended up eating there most of the time.
- The hotel has a "beach" that its built across the street (and is probably the only sandy area by the water that exists on this side of the island).
- Service/the people is quite good (very accommodating, helpful -- just one example: I didn't have the arm strength to remove pedals from my personal bike and they sent up their regular maintenance guy to do it for me).
- Pool is pretty and makes for a relaxing area.
- Laundry services
- Clean

Didn't Like:
- Massage services are hit and miss and the spa is not very private. Plus, the therapist will leave your massage during appointments to help guests who come inside.
- Bad lighting in rooms
- Rooms not cozy (quite basic and not as nice looking as hotel pictures).

If You are Going for IM:
- Very close to T2 / end of race
- Pre-race mechanics
- Shuttles to everything
- 4AM breakfast is open on race day
- If you get an Ocean View, then your fam and/or friends can watch the bike race from their balcony

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CattG
London
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here for a week while I competed in the Ironman Cozumel triathlon. The hotel is a bit old and tatty and the food isn't anything to write home about but this was largely offset by the very friendly and helpful staff, who I have to say we're excellent. The only exception was a couple of staff apt the poolside snack bar, who seemed to think they were employed to stand around and chat and obviously really didn't want to sell me any lunch.

Two things really let the place down however. Firstly, the wifi, which the hotel makes a big deal of and which was one of the deciding factors in my decision to book there. It was working less than 50% of the time, and when ito was working it was vey very slow. This caused me some difficulty since I had things I needed to do for work so I spent a long time in a coffee shop in town using their much faster and more reliable system. Secondly, the car hire company associated with the hotel. I realise that this is a separate enterprise, but they operate on the hotel's premises and the hotel's association with them implies a certain degree of complicity. They are absolutely awful. Their prices are high enough for nice new cars but we got a jeep with 183000 miles on the clock that was rusty and dangerous. The gearbox didn't work properly and the steering was very sloppy. Having no choices (all the other vehicles were out) we took it and unsurprisingly it broke down completely at Punta Sur. We phoned and were told they'd be there in 20 minutes with a replacement. After an hour and 10 minutes wait we booked a taxi to take us back to the hotel, at which point they finally appeared. When I said I didn't want anything to do with their cars now the manager told me that if I took a vehicle out with a problem I shouldn't complain when it broke down- so the terrible state of their vehicles was apparently my fault. The hotel should throw these clowns out and organise a reputable car hire firm. At the moment their presence makes the whole hotel look poor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob K
Brighton, Colorado, United States
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I would have to say "Average" at best. We were spoiled by the Cozumel Palace last year, and needed to save some money. We did save the money (about 1/2 the price of the Palace), but sacrificed more than we wanted to. For the most part, it's one choice for all meals, and the food was inconsistent in quality - on any given day you might have a good breakfast, a bad lunch, a decent dinner or some other combination. Unless you upgrade, you get no frig or micro in the rooms. The furniture is in real need of replacement - the drawers fall down and even out of the dressers when you open them. There is very little lighting in the rooms. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. Housekeeping was decent. The pool is beautiful but was too cold to really enjoy. Poolside service is mostly non-existent so you must go up yourself to get drinks and food. The massage I had was excellent. Internet service was down for most of our stay which was VERY aggravating. The employees were very nice and tried to accommodate our needs. I probably would not stay here again unless I heard about improvements in the areas I mentioned above. Looks like I'll just have to save more and go back to the Palace!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade if you can.
1 Thank Peter W
Texas
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have stayed here a couple times and the service and property are always good. Not close enough to the cruise ship docks to get all the peddlers, scammers, and day tourists so the area is fairly quiet. This is not a fancy hotel but it is decent. Open air hallways and lobby. Never had a problem with the rooms, the are comfortable and always clean. The pool area is huge and has plenty of room for volleyball, swimming, hot tubbing, laying out, etc.. Staff is always friendly. They have entertainment all day for the whole family including a kids center. Free bikes for your use which are great for going into town or the supermarket a few blocks away. Food is hit or miss, and is the main thing that everyone says needs to be improved. Go to the outdoor grill and ask for fish tacos, they are the only thing that is consistently good. The all inclusive is convenient, but a bit disappointing. Drinks are ok, but it helps to tip them well and ask for extra strong. No beach but this place is great for diving. In house dive shop and a good pier for other dive companies to pick you up by boat. Never used the dive shop for anything but renting tanks ($6) to do shore dives right off the dock, which is awesome at night. Beware of the people booking trips and rentals in the lobby, they will try to screw you but can be talked down a little.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends