“Excellent Hotel, Especially for the Price”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Hotel Cozumel is a great stay for many reasons, especially for the price of the rooms, for the convenience of it, and just the general value. It is especially awesome for people who enjoy participating in water related sports like swimming, deep sea fishing, diving, etc. It's best for divers honestly. Even if you don't like any of those, it is just generally a good hotel anyway.

The service here was good and the staff was always very friendly. Of course, with the addition of a tip, they were even better. (: They were always helpful and polite. Depending on the meal plan you get and the kind of view you want your room to have, the prices vary. My room was $110 USD a night so it was a very good price. I'm from America, and they offered easy currency exchange at the hotel as well, so they saved me a lot of trouble.

The food here was pretty good, though at certain times of day there weren't too many options. Generally, it was alright. There are a few restaurants. One of them has a dress code which was a bit annoying, but it wasn't a huge deal. They both have funky hours, so if you really like only one restaurant you are going to have to work around the hours. There are also bars for people who like to enjoy a drink.

The pool here was absolutely amazing. It's beautiful, and anyone can use it. There are games you can play around the pool too. It was lovely, and anyone could enjoy it. There is also a restaurant open right beside the pool if you get hungry.

The rooms were very nice, but unfortunately they didn't have refrigerators so you couldn't really store any leftover food for later. Most of the TV channels weren't in english, but most of the main channels are available so for me it wasn't an issue. The rooms were always clean, and overall my stay was excellent and I'd definitely come here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have traveled all over Mexico. This is one of the best hotels we've stayed in for the price and what is offered. The rooms are immaculate and new. The food in the restaurant and the outside dinning was great. The personnel couldn't have been more accommodating. We've stayed two different times and will go back again.

Room Tip: Ground floor was fun. Watched people having fun.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nights. Lovely pool and pool area. We are not divers but I can see how this place would attract divers.
The beds are made with sheets only and no blanket and 1 pillow per bed. I asked for anothe pillow and was given one with blood on it. When I asked to exchange It I received no apology and no one seemed surprised. When I told my friend I was traveling with about the blood she said she noticed some on her sheets too.
The food was by far the most overpriced terrible food I've ever had to eat. Do not go with the all inclusive option as you'll be sadly disappointed. Also try to not eat on the water front, go into the town and find a taco stand as they are amazing.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Hannah14620
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was recommended to take a trip to Cozumel by my Grandad as he has always been a keen traveler and done some diving in his time. I explained that I was on a bit of a tight budget and referred me to this hotel which I have indeed found great value for money.

I was one of the many people staying here to take part in a fair amount of diving over the duration of my stay. There were plenty of other English people in the hotel and resort, and I find that it is always nice to be able to have a chat with people from your area and be able to share experiences. The hotel staff ranging from the lobby clerks all the way to the chefs and maids were very pleasant to talk to and always very polite. This really helps to make people feel welcome and it certainly did in my case.

The hotel from standing outside does not look anything too fantastic, but this is what you should expect for a 3* budget-like hotel. However, once you are inside, it is surprisingly clean and feels very welcoming. I stayed in a standard room and again, it was very clean and was a comfortable place for me to rest in. The only downside I would pick from my room is that I would have liked to have the bedding changed on a more regular basis. One great aspect that is really hard to find nowadays was the fact that they let you use the safe for free. There wasn't a charge or a deposit I had to pay; you just have to pay a fair size of money if you do lose the key (for the lock/safe to be replaced).

I eat a lot of food, so I went with the all inclusive booking option and it was fair, but nothing to shout out about. There was a decent variety of food, but they were pretty standard buffets with no real unique selling point to them. I could always satisfy my stomach, but it would be nice to have some nicer options. They were also very kind to let me pack some food up to take out to the beach, so I could have it as a packed lunch.

Although I did not spend much time around the pool area, it seemed quite nice however at times very noisy with some stuff being shouted over a microphone. As I said, I didn't spend much time there but for the average person I would say that it is pretty standard for a pool area.

In terms of extra services and features of the hotel - there aren't that many. There's an open air gym which I made use of a couple of times, and a 'private' pier for hotel guests. I say 'private' because it seemed as if there were sometimes a lot more people than just hotel guests using it, however this could be explained with the different diving clubs/events that are hosted in the area. There are also lockers which are available to use, great for throwing your gear in when you don't want to be lugging it around everywhere! The only other things noticeable were that if you booked all inclusive then you get an "introductory lesson" for diving and free wifi (which I certainly made the most of).

The general location and appearance is Cozumel is great and I found it a pleasure to walk around. The town area had some nice historical looking sights and the coast lines were very beautiful. If you want to get around a bit easier then you can use a taxi or shuttle and the prices were very low; varying between 4-8$ which is very reasonable. Also, if you pay a trip into the town on Sunday then you can enjoy the live music and traditional celebration of Fiesta!

Certainly not a top of the range hotel and in places it is clearly a bit outdated. However the friendliness of the staff makes up for that. The food could certainly go up a notch in quality, but overall I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Ross S
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I usually never complain and really didn't while at the hotel but I know that before I book a vacation I check tripadvisor so I will leave feedback here to hopefully prevent another experience like ours from happening to you. First we booked what we thought was all inclusive only to find out that we would be charged an additional 42$ US each for AI each day. After talking with other guests at the hotel we decided against this option. Second the front desk people seemed annoyed anytime that you approached them. Now mind you that anytime I asked anyone for anything I tipped a minimium of $2 US. Third, each day there would be activities around the pool. This equated to someone on a loud speaker counting in spanish from 1 - 10 over and over and over again for hours. It was so loud that it was not even comfortable to sit down by the pool area. Finally, the last negative thing that really turned me from ever staying here again was hearing one of the people working on the dive boat asking another worker, "did that lady have the bends" to which he replied "I don't know, who cares, the next group is on their way".
On the positive side, the snorkeling was excellent. There is an eel that lives in the rocks right outside the lagoon. Also our maid was the friendliest worker we met and she didn't speak any English at all.
This hotel seems to cater to Spanish speaking people which is great except we really don't speak Spanish...lol Good luck if you chose to stay here. We never will again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Smiling028
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Spent 4 nights at this hotel just recently after we found it on several travel sites. I've been to Cozumel multiple times, this was my first stay here. Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel and the value received, and would definitely stay here again and bring my family the next time.

The hotel is very conveniently located, it's about a 15 minute walk at an "average" speed to the downtown cruise ship dock/cruise ship mall. Takes about another 5 to get to the plaza from there if you don't get accosted by the store owners. If you want to take a taxi to the plaza, it's about $3 per passenger.

The hotel is actually across the main road from the ocean front, but there is a convenient tunnel from the hotel lobby under the road to the beach club and Dive Paradise shop - use it if you can, crossing the street can be tricky if there is a lot of traffic. The beach club handles the lunch service, plus this is how you access the small sand beach and ocean. The beach/ocean access is Hotel Cozumel exclusive, but you will see lots of divers trooping around up and down the pier, as this is also where the Dive Paradise boats pick up the divers. We didn't spend a lot of time at the beach area other than on the way to and from diving, so I don't have a lot of comments about it other than it seemed nice enough, if a little small. If you are diving, you will be given a key to the dive lockers, they are also in this area. I didn't use the locker I was assigned. They look big enough to store 1-2 sets of gear, but they are pretty much completely enclosed, so I didn't want my gear sitting in there moldering in the heat - I already had enough trouble getting it dry hanging out on the balcony.

The outside of the hotel looks about average for the middle-of-the road hotels in the area. The lobby is quite nice, and very clean. The staff that we had contact with, from the front desk staff, the serving staff, the chefs, the activities coordinators, and the housekeepers, are all very friendly and helpful. Check in was relatively easy and pretty quick. As a bonus, the hotel allows you to use the room safe for free - it's not big enough for a full size computer, but we were able to store 2 tablets and various other small stuff in there with ease. Do be careful if you ask for the safe key - if you lose it, it's something like $400+ to replace the lock.

The rooms are a nice size, not too fancy, but lots of space for storage of clothes and stuff, and our room was pretty clean. The sink, shower, and toilet area are decent. The sink lacks a little counter space, but with two women in the room, we still managed without tripping over each other. There's a nice closet for hanging stuff. It appears most balconies have a row of hooks for hanging stuff on one wall, and two rails on the opposite wall which can also be used for hanging towels, dive gear, etc. Be warned, in our experience and based on conversations with others, no matter where you are in the hotel, the balconies don't get enough sun or wind flow to really dry anything in the humid air. My dive gear was getting a little odorous by the 2nd day, so you may have to bring stink-prone stuff in at night to the a/c to keep the stench down.

The only complaints we really had about the room were minimal. The a/c works a little TOO well - it was hard to find a happy medium of cool but not too cold. But, our unit was very quiet. Also, the other reviews that note the beds are very hard were right on. But, with that noted, I don't recall being terribly uncomfortable in the morning - a couple of minutes of moving around worked out any stiffness that the beds might have caused. Finally, the enameling was peeling off the bottom of our tub (which, incidentally, only seem to have a shower setting - if you want to fill the tub, you have to close the curtain and run the shower). This was more of an annoyance than any major problem, though. Otherwise, the room was in good repair.

We went with the all inclusive option. The food was serviceable - not great (it's not a cruise ship), but definitely tasty enough, and for the 4 nights we were there, there was a decent variety. There is food of some type available from 6:30 am to 10:30 pm. There are 3 locations that you can find food, and each is open at various times of the day. We never had any trouble finding food when we needed something. The adult beverage choices were also good. The mixed drinks were tasty, although they varied somewhat in alcohol content depending on who was mixing. The beer on tap is Sol (woohoo!). That was an unexpected bonus!

The pool is nice and large, and has a variety of depths. Most of the pools is no more than 4 feet deep, but there are good sized sections that are no more than a couple of inches. Once large section has an underwater ledge that you can step down into the deeper section. The other very shallow section is blocked off from the rest of the pool by a bridge that crosses it - you could crawl under the bridge to get to the deeper part, but if you have toddlers or other young children, this would be a good section for them to splash in with minimal worry that they'll accidentally fall into the deeper portion of the pool. They also have a 2 foot wading pool for younger kids.

The hotel does provide beach towels . . . the routine is that you get a towel card on check in. You trade that card for a towel at the activities center by the pool. Then you can trade that towel for either another clean dry towel during activities center hours (which are marginally inconvenient at 8am to 6pm), or at the end of your trip, you trade back for the card to turn in at checkout (else you get charged $30 for every missing card). The beach towels are very large and absorbent, we were very happy with them. And, you can take them wherever you want - there was no restriction to keep them on the hotel grounds.

My travel mate also used the massage/spa service located at the hotel, she was very pleased with the quality of the service and the price, so if this is your thing, it might be worth checking out.

My final comments have to do with booking here. When we originally decided to stay here, we considered booking directly from the hotel's website, but after looking at the site, it doesn't appear to be secured to my satisfaction - I certainly didn't want to put my credit card number in there. It was worth my time to look around to some of the major travel sites (travelocity, expedia, orbitz, etc.), as they all seem to book this hotel, and I was much more confident with the security of my personal information. Plus, if something is wrong with your booking, you have their guarantee in place. As an added bonus, we actually saved money on the rooms booking through Travelocity, and you can book either "room only" or "all inclusive". I would recommend looking around and booking non-direct if you can find a good price. If you do choose to book directly via the hotel website, rest assured that if you book diving at the same time you book a room, they appear to charge the same price as if you were to book directly with Dive Paradise.

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the pool - it was less noisy than expected, so unless you are dead-set...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jenn B
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here with a group of divers in January 2013. For the price you can't beat it. Food is okay, you will never go hungry. That said its not great, but again for the price you pay for a week of diving and all inclusive food and drinks it can't be beat! Plan on going into town for a dinner out a couple of times and you'll be more than happy.
Resort workers were very friendly. They are always cleaning something.

Biggest complaint is the beds are terrible! Very hard, linens cheap and thread bare. My bed already had the egg crate foam and still like sleeping on a springy board.

Get some new mattresses please!!! When on a trip like this the best thing is a good nights sleep!

Bathrooms are in need of some updates. Pretty typical for carribean economical resort.

Again overall for the price it's a great deal. I will return!

The dive shop attached to resort is very good. Lots of room to wash and hang gear by dock. Lockers also.
Boats are good sized with room to move about.

I gave a four star for the value along with the dive shop.

Room Tip: All rooms face pool, don't have any I would recommend or discourage.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends