“Great for a diver”

Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Youngstown, Ohio
“Great for a diver”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I went here based on the on site dive shop and all inclusive amenities. It was a great resort, very well kept and clean. Staff was friendly and courteous. When we first checked in there were 2 double beds and they promptly moved me to a queen room at my request. The food was the weak point, standard buffet fare besides the one night over at the dive shop. That was all out awesome. The dive shop was great and my now-fiancee (I proposed after her certification dive in full wesuits!) spent 2 days on the final diving certification testing while I went out on the boat on my own. The last dive we went together and I gave her the ring on the boat. Lot of people seem to prefer this shop, not just those staying at the Hotel Cozumel. Kid friendly, the activities are not my thing but they had an MC daily running some contest or other, and they were revamping the stage for shows and such while there. VERY close to downtown, we walked most evenings down for shopping, dinner, and clubs.

Room Tip: Get first floor if you can, much easier to get to and from the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Minnesota
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We made reservations at this hotel in October for our February stay. We reserved a king size bed through Expedia. When we got there, however, there were no king size beds to be found. How does that happen, Expedia??? They had my money since October. The guy at the desk said we could probably switch on Monday but who wants to unpack and pack up again to go to a different room. Anyway, all the staff here is excellent and hard working. The hotel itself is very basic but staff is cleaning it constantly. There is no swim up bar and the volleyball net for the pool is up for a very short time and then taken back down. We were on the all inclusive deal. The breakfasts are very good but the rest of the buffets are average at best. We usually went out for supper due to that fact. Didn't see much of the entertainment but what I saw was not much. The location is great as you can walk to alot of different places. The drinks are good and the bartenders are great!! Also loved the burgers and nachos with guacomole by the pool. The pool is great and not freezing cold and is NOT salt water, which some hotels there do. There are plenty of chairs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Niles, Illinois
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Booked a last minute trip to Cozumel with my son and his buddy, both 18. Wanted an inexpensive hotel close to town with beach access and this totally fit the bill. We stayed in junior suite which was ocean view. While the view was ocean it was on the loud busy street and so I would suggest a pool view as opposed to ocean as it was way too noisy. We did breakfast daily which I recommend. Why do all inclusive when there are so many wonderful places to try? Since the hotel was only a mile or two from town it was an easy walk. The pool was nice and large but water was terribly cold and hot tub was barely lukewarm. The beach club was nice but is not really a beach like Playa where you can walk in. It is man-made and you must climb in and it is rocky. Overall the hotel was clean and staff was very responsive and pleasant. For the price and location it cannot be beat. But do not expect a resort on par with a 4 or 5 star property. This is perhaps a 3 star at most.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
California, Pennsylvania

At the Hotel Cozumel and Resort,

The special Bed and Breakfast package is killer for the price. This package has four different categories, because Hotel Cozumel really thinks outside the box when it comes to exceptional customer service.

As a customer I thought the hotel over delivered and always seem to go up and beyond and I was extremely pleased with this one factor alone.

Breakfast from 7 til 10:30 am. was excellent, food was daily fresh, with courteous and friendly staff. The variety entertainment was engaging and 1st class to say the least.

I had one occasion that I couldn't understand one of the local's speaking English to me. That was quickly addressed by one of the other staff members coming over right away to translate in two languages English and Spanish. The situation was handled in a matter of minutes, very quickly and we didn't need to speak to management.

The hotel's genuine and caring staff, combined with how they help each other is simply amazing. Hotel Cozumel has something very special going on there, that could easily be a blue print for the hospitality industry. I learned a few words in Spanish that I still remember!

Room Tip: The corner suite, bed and breakfast package from 7 to 10 am are daiy fresh and most of the times whe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Greeneville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 17, 2013

When I arrived at the Hotel Cozumel and Resort I was greeted by a kind and helpful staff, who attended me right away. The room was clean, and room service was prompt and tidy. The location was great, and served my purpose for a nice vacation including eating out at great restaurants, shopping and it was close to the waterfront, which I visited many times since it was only a short walk from the resort. The hotel’s breakfast buffet was large and delicious, consisting of a variety of good food to start one’s day. The dining room was clean and bright. The room was $70 (US) per night, which I found to be a good vacation price. It’s certainly fair compared to the hotels in my area. Another perk about the hotel is that it is so close to the airport. One thing that I did not like about the hotel, however, is that I was not able to take my pet because the hotel only allows pets that are 15 or less pounds. My pet weighs slightly over that so I had to leave him at a boarding place. Another thing about the hotel is that over the loud speakers bingo numbers are announced throughout the day in two languages, so I wasn’t able to take a nap, but if you are there to go out on the town or to take advantage of the beach and the scuba diving packages then this is not really a problem. I will definitely book a trip at this hotel again. It’s a beautiful place, and overall I had a very pleasant time.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have double beds and some have king beds, so be sure to reserve the room you are m...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, Utah
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Cozumel was a great dive destination. I would rate the diving at 4.5 stars. (I do not really know what a 5 star dive would be, so this was excellent). The hotel was ok, nothing fancy. The rooms were clean and adequate. The hotel was by no stretch of the imagination fancy but it worked for me and my brother and a couple of friends. The staff was friendly and helpful. We paid for an all inclusive package but ended up eating out every night at a different restaurant. We found a couple if excellent places. I would not take my family to Cozumel. If you don't dive, there is nothing to do. We spent 2 days on the mainland touring Mayan Ruins and the tours were excellent. Two very long days. Great trip, I had to come back and rest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Cozumel last week. It was fine. We have been living in Mexico for the past 3 months so to us it seemed luxurious. The rooms were a little small and the bathrooms were awkwardly configured, but that is typical of Mexico. The whole place was very clean and well maintained. We had intended to do some afternoon diving but the port was closed so we hung out by the pool instead. It was a little like being in summer camp as they had activities every half hour: bingo, salsa lessons, volley ball, you name it! We did not get the all inclusive plan but just opted for a continental breakfast the next morning. The food was very good and you could eat as much or as little as you wanted. One thing: I would not recommend spending the extra money for the "ocean view" room. Yes, you can see the ocean but it is across the road and there is a lot of traffic, starting early in the morning, running cruise ship passengers back and forth to town. Also, the hotel was very noisy in the morning from divers slamming doors on their way out.
Dive Paradise is across the road and they are very well set up with plenty of rinse tanks, locker space, a well equipped dive shop, and their own dock. We opted not to dive as the ocean was still pretty rough. We paid for those dives even though we didn't take them. I would encourage people not to prepay, but check the weather and then make the decision. It would have saved us about $135 US.
Ivan Hector at check-in is very nice and helpful. He was a real bright spot for us.

Room Tip: Don't spend extra to get the ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple