“Not the Ritz, but we like it!”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed January 13, 2013

As long as you are not expecting a swank setting this place is great! The service is awesome (except one waiter the entire week), the food is good, did I mention the service is awesome?
We booked Funjet and paid for the transfer before hand. You pay a few extra dollars for that but you can politely pass the time-share-hawkers and make a beeline for the guys in the turquoise shirts.
Although we did All-Inclusive I tipped everyone providing a service. I broke a $20(US) and got as many 20 peso bills ($1.70?) as I could. We left 20 pesos on the dresser everyday for the cleaning lady, we keep a clean room otherwise I'd have left more.
Same for meals, I left 20 pesos at the table. It's self serve mostly but most waiters are very attentive. One waiter in particular was awesome, very friendly. I found out they pool the the tips, so the crappy waiter gets part of the extra cash I was leaving for the good service. I finally gave the guy a 20 dollar bill and instructed him to keep it, I insisted. His service and friendliness was beyond compare the entire week.
There is always food available and you can make pretty healthy choices. We eat mostly vegetables and there was always steamed or fresh veggies. The fish dishes were awesome. We were told it was Grouper, Red Snapper, whatever, the fish is great!
I did not dive this trip. Dive Paradise is on site and shore diving is available to get reacclimatized if needed. Not much to see but an easy, shallow (20 feet) dive.
Oh, the entertainment was awesome. Had no idea there would be shows and entertainment. The dancers and entertainment staff worked very long days and performed very well, we were surprised at the quality.
The location is much better then further south (Fiesta Americana). You can walk in to town and the Market is ten minutes away for whatever you need. The stores (MEGA, Chedraui) take credit cards now so you don't have to bring as much cash as you use to have to. MEGA is like an upscale Target, it's across from the cruise boat pier. Chedraui is closer to the resort by two blocks, it should have all you need as well(liquor, snacks, pharmacy,etc.).
We paid $700 for two, six nights, seven days, taxes and $44 for hotel transfers. Very pleased with that.
One last thing, safety. We had been concerned about the violent crime in Mexico and it appears to be non-excistent in Cozumel. Two ways in, two ways out and the last ferry is at 2200.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank glidslop
There are newer reviews for Hotel Cozumel and Resort

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have been coming to Cozumel since 1990 and am also a Palace member- This is my back up resort. It has GREAT service, Bartenders are attentive, Wait staff and food very good, they have a great spaghetti made on the spot.
It is walking distance to downtown.
I like the webcams - see their site
In case of any problems there is a concierge on site.
I have never had any issue at this hotel.
I'm not sure what some of the reviewers are expecting when they come here??
I have always had a positive experience at this resort. It is one of the BEST values on the island.
The pool is great too
I will be there in one month (Feb 2013) and cant wait.
If you are wondering if this is the place to go - I can assure you it is.
Another point is you can still go into town and explore and grab dinner

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SteveNMichigan
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We generally stay at other locations when we come to Cozumel. We decided to try a place closer to town and to not go all inclusive. This time we chose Hotel Cozumel.
The facility is ok. Fairly clean, although there were opportunities compared with others in town. The room was comfortable and the a/c worked great. It was somewhat noisy with lobby and hallway noise, but not too bad. The staff was friendly when approached, but usually didn't acknowledge you unless you said something first. The pool and grounds were nice. The pool was big enough that you didn't feel too crowded. The beach area was pretty good. If it wasn't for the hotel activities ... I think bingo or Spanish lessons blaring over the loud speaker so that the whole beach had to listen to it, it would have been better. As we were close to town, we did not eat one meal at the hotel during our 11 days there, so I really can't comment on that too much. Overall it was an ok place to rest our head. We were not expecting much for the money spent, so I guess it met our expectations.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hitdbeach
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My fiancé and I just returned from a week at hotel Cozumel. We are very well traveled and have stayed hotels from 5 star resorts in NYC to thatched roof bungalows in Laos. Never before have we had such terrible customer service. The hotel website makes this place look like a 5 star resort--this is sadly far from the truth.

The all inclusive package includes buffet meals of all blandly flavored Mexican food which appears to constantly be recycled as what was for dinner shows up on the breakfasts buffet and what is for breakfast on the lunch buffet. The staff in the restaurant were very kind and friendly as well as the bar staff. The open bar does not include bottled beer like dos Equis but only draft sol. You have to pay additional for the premium beer.

The rooms are standard with a semi comfortable bed but horribly uncomfortable pillows. The "ocean view" room overlooked the busy two lane street. The beach area is accessed by walking through an underground tunnel that connects the hotel with main pool area to the beach with dive shop. The beach area is basically just a waiting area for dive boats and and changing/gear cleaning area for divers.

The hotel hot tub was luke warm and filled with Mexican nationals wearing clothing and not even swim suits. We only went in the first night and then avoided the entire pool area like the plague. The entire resort seemed to be filled with mexican natonals. No one seemed to know how to wait their turn in line.

The most appalling of all is the horrible service from the hotel manager after my fiancé developed food poisoning from eating at the buffet. New year's day we awoke early to get breakfast before our dive. I had yogurt with fruit and granola and my fiancé had things from the mexican breakfast buffet. Around lunch my fiancé was feeling nauseated, fatigued, and had abdominal pain. He threw up after our dive and things progressively declined from there. He vomited profusely, had fevers, abdominal pains, diarrhea. I notified the front desk who said we would need to talk to the manager the next day. When we talked the manager and asked to downgrade our all inclusive package to room only package he refused. He never once expressed his apologies or understanding and actually told us we were liars. He said he didn't believe that he was ill and said no one else at the hotel was ill. The only food we ate in the 24 hours preceding the illness were at hotel cozumel. I have never in my life experienced such horrible customer service nor have been accused of lying about an illness. Obviously they were the liars as the most recent posted comment stated they too had food poisoning.

We will never stay at hotel cozumel again and would not recommend it to anyone. Please be aware that once you submit your reservation payment there are no refunds even if you are poisoned by the food they serve. They will accuse your of lying and will offer you no sympathy or apology.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed December 31, 2012

THE GOOD:
1. Location near downtown allows for reduced reliance on cabs.
2. Food was almost always available, saving time and creating convenience.
3. Facility was clean, well maintained, beautiful and felt like a resort.
4. There was ONE very professional, friendly and helpful bartender at the snack bar.
5. Wait staff in the restaurant was generally attentive, helpful and hard working.
6. The gift shop provided basic necessities a traveler would expect to find.
7. The nightly entertainment wasn't all that bad, kind of funny most nights.

THE BAD:
1. The website would lead you to think the hotel and dive operator communicate well. They do NOT. They took my time from my day to solve their communication problems (bought 20 dives online, they tried to deliver me only 12). If you do not buy the 'cookie cutter' programs on their website and instead build a custom trip, you are asking for trouble - as this is very confusing for their staff. After being told by the front desk and then by the dive shop that I was only getting 12 dives, I had to hike back to my room to get my printed confirmation letter from my online order (MAKE SURE YOU BRING THIS). I showed it to them and they then asked ME to go find a copy machine and to deliver them a copy so they could attach it to our file.

2. Both my wife and I (who travel a lot and have strong stomachs) fell victim to food poisoning and lost 2 days of our trip, stuck in bed, as a result. We followed the rules (did not drink the water), but still fell victim. We stopped eating meals here 2/3 way through the trip as a result which hit our trip budget pretty hard.

3. When Christmas week came about, the hotel population swelled. A lot of Mexican residents from the mainland arrived. The entire atmosphere dramatically changed for the worse in that moment. The following problems became everyday occurrences during Christmas week:

(A) Mexican nationals would rudely cut in line in front of tourists. The staff would not direct them to the back of the line, and would instead serve them first and then ignore the other guests as they carried on conversations with their countrymen.

(B) While a hot tub in a wonderful thing after a day of diving, after our 3rd day we could not bring ourselves to use it. Mexican nationals were bringing infants and children into the hot tub in DIRTY DIAPERS. No one from the hotel would say a word to them. It was absolutely disgusting. I will never forget seeing the mother realize her child had crapped itself in the spa. Her solution, remove the poopy diaper from the child in the spa, roll it up, and place it on the ground by the spa as the poop-laden child was allowed to resume using the spa. No class. Very disappointing. Shocking that no enforcement was there.

(C) This is a DIVE resort. Divers need to wake up early for their morning boats. But, if you're a Mexican national, the rules do not apply to you here. Nope. At 2AM drunk Mexicans were raising hell in the pool area, keeping us awake. We called the front desk 3 times during the 2AM hour and no one said a thing to them. By 3AM the group went to their room - and as fate would have it, they were above us. Slamming doors, running kids and music raged into the wee hours. We called the front desk twice in the 3AM hour - no enforcement. The following morning we complained at the front desk. The response: a smirk and a chuckle.

4. The halls are tile and the maid carts have solid wheels. As such, every morning at 6AM, the sound of maid carts roaming the halls sounded like machine gun fire. How about using quiet, rubber/inflated wheels people??? Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep most nights.

5. On the third day, we realized that we had paid the $10 fee for the mini fridge in our room, but it was never delivered. We went to the front desk and asked for our fridge. They said that they had no record of it, but that if I wanted to print my reservation confirmation (like I did the dive plan) that they would look into it for me. I told them to disregard the fridge if it was that much trouble and asked they just remove the charge. They did not. When I checked out, the charge remained. I explained that they never provided it and I should not have to pay for it. They actually argued with me and told me that I should have said something about it earlier. Yeah.... Do not prepay for anything with these people. Once they have your money, they will go to any length necessary to keep it.

6. Suffering from food poisoning, highly medicated and with a major lack of sleep on our hands, we missed our checkout time. Rather than being helpful, compassionate and sending us a bellhop, they were abrasive, rude and demanded we get out of the room immediately. We scurried to be out within an hour of the checkout deadline. Once in the lobby, they wanted us to pay $88 for 'late checkout'. After a lengthy debate about the fridge, they agreed to waive the $88 late checkout fee if they could keep the $90 I paid for the fridge that they never delivered. Too sick to fly home, we changed our flight and stayed a couple more nights in Cozumel - at a DIFFERENT place.

THE UGLY
Little did they know, my wife speaks Spanish almost fluently. Throughout our stay, she would constantly share with me the awful things that the staff were saying about their unsuspecting guests - at times in their immediate presence. This was sad, as it is the tourist who provides the entire economy of this island.

We will not be staying here again. The convenience and appearance it offered was not enough to overcome the poor service.

Room Tip: Pool-View room means noise until 10PM or later at times.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Matt-n-Cecy
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Decent hotel but not sure if I'd stay here again. We just spent 7 days here for holidays 2012. I'll save the details but here are the basics:

Service: B+. this is not the Ritz but all staff was very nice & friendly
Value: B. Again, skip the AI as the food here is not the best.
Sleep Quality: F as beds were hard, pillows were terrible
Cleanliness: B+ for rooms but F for the hot tub (stay away !)
Location: B+. short walk to downtown but far enough away from cruise ships
Rooms: C+. great tile for wet feet/scuba gear but beds were terrible
Breakfast. B+ cooked to order omelets for the early morning scuba crowd

I didn't dive though Dive Paradise as I refuse to be on a cattle boat but can see how a group would benefit from using them. The tunnel under the road is nice to get to the dock. This hotel is FULL OF DIVERS so there are always good stories to tell & hear. I'd stay here again but without the AI as there are plenty of good eats close. Overall an average hotel, nothing fancy but for a dive hotel it works.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 1,983,007
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We are scuba divers. We enjoy the all-inclusive experience with the convenience of a good on-site dive operation. We have stayed there 3 times so far and plan to return again.

If you are looking to be pampered this might not be the place for you. But if you want all-inclusive with convenient services at good prices I recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012