“3 star trying to pass itself off as a 4 star”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
wi
“3 star trying to pass itself off as a 4 star”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

The first impression you get when you stay at a hotel is the front desk staff. I was not impressed with them at all. They were almost rude most of the time. We did not stay all-inclusive as we like to venture around. I do not know if this would have made a difference. The food we did eat there was inconsistent. A guest we met at the hotel said the only consistent thing about the hotel was the 2:00pm Bingo game, I found this statement funny but also very accurate. The rooms are o.k., they need some sprucing up. The hallways are very dirty and with all the help around they don't pick up glasses and stuff that is left around very quickly. Our room needed a good going over. They provide a coffee pot but you have to figure out where to plug it in. Our was coated with (probably) hairspray, as it sat on the vanity. The beds are pretty bad, hard to get a good night of sleep. We were supposed to get a 20% discount on all drinks, we found you really had to watch that you did get the discount. We did not make complaints while we were there, so this is my 2 cents now. The pool area is pretty.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank tsWi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Bonaire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

We just returned from a week at Hotel Cozumel and Resort. We were not expecting a 5 star hotel And it is NOT one.

My concerns are more with the Travel Company (Sun Wing), than with the hotel itself.

I was disappointed that many of the features adverised in the SunWing package were NOT available. 2 A la carte restaurants were listed, yet there was only buffet service for all meals. This becomes very repetitive. The staff work very hard, and tries to ensure that the guests have a nice stay. If the hotel could put a portion of this enthusiasm into upgrading the food, then It could be a wonderful hotel experience.

Sunwing also advertised the availability of handicapped accessable rooms. In my case, this is a necessity, and I was shocked to find out that the hotel has no handicapped accessble rooms at all. The hotel tried to accomodate my needs the best they could. But had I known that there were no handicapped accessable rooms, I would not have booked my stay at this hotel.

Thanks to SunWing, this was not the holiday it was advertised to be. It was the first AND last time I will ever book through SunWing.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Looieb

Travelers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Baytown, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2008

When we decided to go to Cozumel to hang out I decided to try Priceline. I was shocked when Priceline took my $50.00 offer for Hotel Cozumel. I had stayed there before and knew it was clean with air conditioning and those were my only requirements. I expected a hard time on check in but was I suprised. Not only was my room ready at noon but the staff was more professional than normally found in Cozumel. The room was indeed clean and the air conditioning worked wonderfully. The location of the hotel is a nice walk into town and there is plenty of parking for the rent car. We never ate,drank, or even went to the pool but I would definitely return to this hotel for a place to sleep and shower. It is very secure.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — The pillows on the bed that were the size of Chicklets.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

The pool is no deeper than 4 foot and it is HUGE! This hotel is awesome for the price. They also have a 'beach' across the street (take a tunnel from the hotel) that is medium sized but adequate. There is EXCELLENT snorkeling along the shore right at the hotel. It drops off to 20 foot within 10-15 feet. There are lobsters, tons of fish, octopus, shrimp, etc. right there. Scuba couldn't be easier, either. There are lockers on the beach side that make it very easy for diving day after day. The dive shop personnel are super-friendly and knowledgeable. They were able to make minor repairs to a regulator for us. The rinse tanks are fresh water and well thought out!! Lots of space to hang your gear while you step 5 feet into the outdoor cantina for a bite to eat. Water was 81-85 and clear to about 100 yards in January, 2008 when we were there. The hotel has PLENTY of activities during the day for non-scuba divers: Bingo, rifle range (pellet gun), ping pong contests, water volleyball, water aerobics, and other 'silly' type contests...and karaoke in the bar on certain nights!!!! There is also an outdoor work out shop with free weigts, bike, treadmill, and a nice leg press. At night, don't miss the shows at the outdoor stage. They were phenominal! Did I mention that a walk to town is about 10 minutes and well worth the trip? The food was very well presented, but a lot like hight school cafeteria food. Don't expect grilled steaks. The best thing on the menu was the Char-grilled chicken....just absolutely awesome! And the Soups are better than anywhere I've ever been! They do the soups right! For a really, really bad-for-your-figure splurge, try the nacho cheese dispenser at the outside bar by the pool. It's like liquid plastic and I felt quite naughty dribbling it on some tortilla chips!!! It tasted so fantastic! I think the shame of eating heated chiz-whiz was a delightfully sinful activity for me! Tee hee! GO TO THIS HOTEL! IT IS REALLY PRETTY NICE!

• Liked — Far enough away from San Migel to get away from the cruise ship crowds, but close enough to walk to San Migel
  • Disliked — Better accessibility into the water at the 'beach' across the street. It was dangerously slippery!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank dixintex
MVRSQ3
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2008

After reading some of the reviews on this website, I was a little concerned. But I was very pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. I lucked out and had a room facing the ocean by the street. I didn't have to listen to the music around the pool area. The room was cleaned every day. There was more than enough hot water, the A/C was functioning. What more could you want? And the proximity to the dive boats was great. It's a great place for divers. As others have said, it's not a 5 star location but a very strong 3 to almost 4 star. So for the money, it's a great choice.

Stayed January 2008
5 Thank MVRSQ3
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2008

First off, this was our first time staying in this hotel. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. The rooms were very clean and definitely set up for divers since everything was tile floor. We didn't have any bath towels when we got there, but got fresh, clean ones once everything was washed.

I will say, DO NOT get the all-inclusive if you have a choice. We were warned against getting it, so we didn't, but ate breakfast there once, and lunch there once. My vacuum sealed Frosted Flakes were stale, the eggs had no flavor. Lunch was just horrible - I basically ate churros for that lunch. I was very happy we didn't get the all-inclusive.

Also if at all possible, make sure you don't get a room by the pool, or if you do, don't be in it at all during the day, and not until 10pm at night. Everyday they play Bingo and other activities by the pool, and it's LOUD. Not because of the guests (there were very few people doing these activities), but because the speaker is too loud. Ditto for the evening music. Hearing a bass beat until 10pm at night when our room was the furthest away from where the speakers are, really sucked.

This is the only hotel I've ever had to sleep with earplugs in.

If you can get past the noisy stuff, then it's not bad - being right across from Dive Paradise was great, and the free WiFi in the lobby was perfect too.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mwyner
Kaaawa, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2008

This is not the place for a 5-star luxury vacation of a lifetime. It is, however, comfortable, clean, and a great value for travelers looking for a warm getaway. It could be compared to a Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn in the USA.

Beach
The small beach across the street (accessible also by an underground tunnel from the lobby) isn’t very pretty, but there are plenty of beach chairs, a bar and restaurant, and a dive shop and pier. Like most of Cozumel’s shore, it is rocky, and the hotel has created a sandy beach behind a sea wall. We took taxis to beach clubs each day except the last, when we discovered the amazing snorkeling right at the hotel. I saw a wider variety of fish here than at the beach clubs, and they’ve even submerged a replica Mayan ruin.

Food and Drink
Breakfast was the only meal we ate in the hotel, and it was a delicious buffet for 8$US. Lots of choices including omelets made to order and great coffee. Beer and margaritas by the pool were cheap and cold. I wouldn’t recommend the all-inclusive option, though, as there are such great restaurants nearby in town (and a near-adjacent supermarket).

Location
The hotel is about a ten minute walk to town in one direction, and there are beach clubs and restaurants walking distance in the other direction. A supermarket is very close to the hotel. Taxis to town were 3-4$US.

Pool
The pool is massive. Lots of shady and sunny spots poolside, and lots of shallow areas in the pool for little kids. There is a stage with live music at times and a soundtrack going all day. It was audible from our poolside room, but not so loud as to be a problem.

Room
The room was comfortable, bright and clean, with older well-maintained furnishings. Ours was on the top floor and had high-ceilings, tile floors and a firm king-size bed. The air-conditioner kept the room cold, although it leaked water one day when we overused it. Lots of TV channels, an ironing board, a safe, and coffee and bottled water in the room (you refill it using the water coolers in the hallway).

Overall, we had a great stay, and we’d choose this hotel again in Cozumel.

• Liked — Snorkeling across the street
  • Disliked — Older furnishings
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple