“Good Clean Hotel, Great Staff, and Excellent location”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed February 13, 2008

When we decided to go to Cozumel to hang out I decided to try Priceline. I was shocked when Priceline took my $50.00 offer for Hotel Cozumel. I had stayed there before and knew it was clean with air conditioning and those were my only requirements. I expected a hard time on check in but was I suprised. Not only was my room ready at noon but the staff was more professional than normally found in Cozumel. The room was indeed clean and the air conditioning worked wonderfully. The location of the hotel is a nice walk into town and there is plenty of parking for the rent car. We never ate,drank, or even went to the pool but I would definitely return to this hotel for a place to sleep and shower. It is very secure.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,816)

Reviewed February 4, 2008

The pool is no deeper than 4 foot and it is HUGE! This hotel is awesome for the price. They also have a 'beach' across the street (take a tunnel from the hotel) that is medium sized but adequate. There is EXCELLENT snorkeling along the shore right at the hotel. It drops off to 20 foot within 10-15 feet. There are lobsters, tons of fish, octopus, shrimp, etc. right there. Scuba couldn't be easier, either. There are lockers on the beach side that make it very easy for diving day after day. The dive shop personnel are super-friendly and knowledgeable. They were able to make minor repairs to a regulator for us. The rinse tanks are fresh water and well thought out!! Lots of space to hang your gear while you step 5 feet into the outdoor cantina for a bite to eat. Water was 81-85 and clear to about 100 yards in January, 2008 when we were there. The hotel has PLENTY of activities during the day for non-scuba divers: Bingo, rifle range (pellet gun), ping pong contests, water volleyball, water aerobics, and other 'silly' type contests...and karaoke in the bar on certain nights!!!! There is also an outdoor work out shop with free weigts, bike, treadmill, and a nice leg press. At night, don't miss the shows at the outdoor stage. They were phenominal! Did I mention that a walk to town is about 10 minutes and well worth the trip? The food was very well presented, but a lot like hight school cafeteria food. Don't expect grilled steaks. The best thing on the menu was the Char-grilled chicken....just absolutely awesome! And the Soups are better than anywhere I've ever been! They do the soups right! For a really, really bad-for-your-figure splurge, try the nacho cheese dispenser at the outside bar by the pool. It's like liquid plastic and I felt quite naughty dribbling it on some tortilla chips!!! It tasted so fantastic! I think the shame of eating heated chiz-whiz was a delightfully sinful activity for me! Tee hee! GO TO THIS HOTEL! IT IS REALLY PRETTY NICE!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
6  Thank dixintex
Reviewed January 30, 2008

After reading some of the reviews on this website, I was a little concerned. But I was very pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. I lucked out and had a room facing the ocean by the street. I didn't have to listen to the music around the pool area. The room was cleaned every day. There was more than enough hot water, the A/C was functioning. What more could you want? And the proximity to the dive boats was great. It's a great place for divers. As others have said, it's not a 5 star location but a very strong 3 to almost 4 star. So for the money, it's a great choice.

Stayed: January 2008
5  Thank MVRSQ3
Reviewed January 21, 2008

First off, this was our first time staying in this hotel. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. The rooms were very clean and definitely set up for divers since everything was tile floor. We didn't have any bath towels when we got there, but got fresh, clean ones once everything was washed.

I will say, DO NOT get the all-inclusive if you have a choice. We were warned against getting it, so we didn't, but ate breakfast there once, and lunch there once. My vacuum sealed Frosted Flakes were stale, the eggs had no flavor. Lunch was just horrible - I basically ate churros for that lunch. I was very happy we didn't get the all-inclusive.

Also if at all possible, make sure you don't get a room by the pool, or if you do, don't be in it at all during the day, and not until 10pm at night. Everyday they play Bingo and other activities by the pool, and it's LOUD. Not because of the guests (there were very few people doing these activities), but because the speaker is too loud. Ditto for the evening music. Hearing a bass beat until 10pm at night when our room was the furthest away from where the speakers are, really sucked.

This is the only hotel I've ever had to sleep with earplugs in.

If you can get past the noisy stuff, then it's not bad - being right across from Dive Paradise was great, and the free WiFi in the lobby was perfect too.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mwyner
Reviewed January 14, 2008

This is not the place for a 5-star luxury vacation of a lifetime. It is, however, comfortable, clean, and a great value for travelers looking for a warm getaway. It could be compared to a Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn in the USA.

Beach
The small beach across the street (accessible also by an underground tunnel from the lobby) isn’t very pretty, but there are plenty of beach chairs, a bar and restaurant, and a dive shop and pier. Like most of Cozumel’s shore, it is rocky, and the hotel has created a sandy beach behind a sea wall. We took taxis to beach clubs each day except the last, when we discovered the amazing snorkeling right at the hotel. I saw a wider variety of fish here than at the beach clubs, and they’ve even submerged a replica Mayan ruin.

Food and Drink
Breakfast was the only meal we ate in the hotel, and it was a delicious buffet for 8$US. Lots of choices including omelets made to order and great coffee. Beer and margaritas by the pool were cheap and cold. I wouldn’t recommend the all-inclusive option, though, as there are such great restaurants nearby in town (and a near-adjacent supermarket).

Location
The hotel is about a ten minute walk to town in one direction, and there are beach clubs and restaurants walking distance in the other direction. A supermarket is very close to the hotel. Taxis to town were 3-4$US.

Pool
The pool is massive. Lots of shady and sunny spots poolside, and lots of shallow areas in the pool for little kids. There is a stage with live music at times and a soundtrack going all day. It was audible from our poolside room, but not so loud as to be a problem.

Room
The room was comfortable, bright and clean, with older well-maintained furnishings. Ours was on the top floor and had high-ceilings, tile floors and a firm king-size bed. The air-conditioner kept the room cold, although it leaked water one day when we overused it. Lots of TV channels, an ironing board, a safe, and coffee and bottled water in the room (you refill it using the water coolers in the hallway).

Overall, we had a great stay, and we’d choose this hotel again in Cozumel.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
15  Thank gogettingit
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Enjoyed a laid-back family holiday here over Christmas. This is a smaller resort, which adds to its charm, and makes it less busy than a larger resort. Also, since it is a scuba destination, we found the divers cleared out in the morning so only a few other guests were relaxing at the pool with us. Plenty of chairs, and lots of choice of shady or sunny spots. Pool is very kid-friendly. Hot tubs not always the cleanest but when are hotel hot-tubs ever all that clean? Food was excellent. The fact there was no a-la-carte restaurant made no difference, as the variety and quality at the 2 restaurants (1 off the lobby for breakfast and dinner, 1 at the beach for lunch) and the snack bar (open 11am to 5-ish?) provided us with more than enough choices. In fact, maybe too many because I gained 6 lbs. while there, athough it could also be blamed on the beer and pina coladas. We ate a ton of guacamole and pico de gallo every day.
We had no issues (ie: tummy troubles) at all. We were cautious to only drink bottled water (there are plenty of water coolers all over the resort, which makes it easy to refill a bottle) and we brushed our teeth with bottled water only. Ice cubes in drinks were purified ice cubes, so no worries.
Drinks were great. My 5 year old worked his way through the virgin cocktails drinks list and found a favourite, the Mexican Dolphin (pina colada mix with grenadine.) Drinks were not watered down which was new to me, having been able to down 10 cocktails before lunch at any other resort we've ever visited. Beer was good (Dos Equis.)
The beach had mixed reviews in our family. First of all, we knew what to expect. No surprise. It's a pier, with ladders to swim off and there is a retaining wall with a sandy-beach patio. I had a fantastic time snorkling near the pier (free snorkling equipment rentals at the dive shop at the beach) however my husband never went in the ocean and my son went in, freaked out, and got out.
Town is close enough to walk (10 minute walk) and the grocery store (Cheduai?) is close to the resort for getting the best deals on booze (to take home) and anything else you might want. It's basically like a Mexican Wal-Mart.
We took a ferry to Playa Del Carmen ($11 per person, $6 for kids) and then found a local bus to take us to the ruins at Tulum. The local bus costs 25 pesos per person ($2.50 US), and Tulum is $4.50 for adults, free for kids. If we'd gone on a Tulum Tour (from the hotel or from Playa Del Carmen), it would have been $70 per person. The ruins are worth seeing and wear a swimsuit under your clothes as the beach there is spectacular.
There were a lot of activities at the hotel but most guests just wanted to hang out and chill instead. I enjoyed a rifle shooting contest - yes, seriously, hotel guests with rifles !!! (safely out back of the hotel, under supervision, of course) My son enjoyed whacking the pinata on Xmas eve - the little Mexican girls all dressed up like princesses, going to town on the pinata was absolutely hysterical to see. Activities staff were hilarious and very very helpful and interactive with the guests. A big shout-out to Francesco, who is a hit with all the kids.
Our room was nice and we had a view of the ocean as well. Wireless internet in the lobby was very handy. We went to Hotel Cozumel knowing it wasn't 5 stars and yes there were a few broken things (from the hurricane and/or disrepair) but there were no surprises nor disappointments. We had a wonderful time at Hotel Cozumel and would definately go back.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
16  Thank ECSToronto
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Excellent vacation. Rooms were clean, adequate. Not a 5 star resort, but the food was OK, drinks were cold, pool was nice. People were very friendly. Great access to Dive Paradise. Nice location, close to town (walking distance).

Great dive hotel. Lots to do. I'll stay here again.

Stayed: December 2007