“Always a great place to visit”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is my third year to visit Hotel Cozumel and Resort. I have lead scuba trips here each year and always plan to come back. Enrique is always helpful with group reservations as well as very helpful during the stay. The staff is excellent everywhere...always smiles and a friendly hola. As mentioned above...Always a great place to visit!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank H2O_Education
Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed June 13, 2012

The good: Good location, decent food, nice staff who was helpful for the most part, entertainment on site, small beach space, very convenient, concierge diving with helpful crew and divemasters.

The bad: the pool water was disgusting. We had bedbugs in the room, and the staff was pretty unsurprised and unconcerned about it. They were willing to switch us to another room after we demanded it. We talked to others, and it didn't seem to be a widespread problem in the hotel.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank NCDiamond
CozumelResortSales, Director of Sales at Hotel Cozumel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

I am wondering why it took so long (ONE YEAR) to post your review here. However, I thank you for the good comments in it.
On the other hand I kindly let you know that we have been, on a daily basis, diligently working to make Hotel Cozumel & Resort a safe and comfortable place to stay, therefore I can assure you that what you have mentioned was a bad experience it has been definitely solved.
I hope you understand that nowadays travelers are in search of fresh information that helps them to make the best decision for their travel. I truly hope that being yours a very late review may not create false expectation to our future clients.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Very average hotel, it is a 3 star don't expect more! The pool and the service at the pool was the best part of this hotel. The food was not very good, the buffet recycles the left over food from the night before and adds something to it to call it something else. The pool was average and they let travelers from cruise ships buy day passes which makes things a little crowded for the hotel guests. The room smelled very very moldy and the bathroom was so small. It is ok for people on a budget who don't expect very much from a 3 star but, if you a travel snob, stay away otherwise you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mbrucato
CozumelResortSales, Director of Sales at Hotel Cozumel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for your review. However, I would’ve preferred you to post it on this page right after your travel and not 8 months later. A long gap like this can make a big difference.
On the other hand I kindly let you know we are fully aware of our strengths and weaknesses, therefore we advertise ourselves as a 4-star hotel in any of our vendors´ public information/marketing programs. Our commitment with all of our partners and clients is not to offer false expectations. We are proud of what we are since our honesty has given us hundreds of happy repetitive clients.
Thank you very much for your valued preference while vacationing in Cozumel.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Hotel Cozumel is a hidden gem in the dive-crazy city of Cozumel. Their rates are very reasonable for the area, but their service goes above and beyond. Have stayed there twice on dive trips to the island and enjoyed the visit both times. The rec staff at the pool are very friendly, the drinks are all included (if you buy the all-inclusive packages), and the dive trips leave from their private dock.

Room Tip: Most rooms have similar views, though some look toward the inner side of the pool, while others look...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank DarwynK
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We have been twice now and everyone in our dive group says the same thing...you can't beat the deal we get at Hotel Cozumel. The hotel is clean, wonderful airy lobby without A/C (which I hate in hotels, very stuffy and artificial). The staff is excellent, Robert, Javier and everyone make you feel very welcome. The dive pier is an easy walk underground or across the street and Dive Paradise is very professional. The food is plentiful and I would say it's a 7 out of a 10. Love the fresh papaya every morning! I definitely recommend this for a dive destination.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Kiana1955
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This is a review of my family trip to HCR in June 2012, following up on my solo dive trip in December 2011, which can be viewed here:

My 2011 trip served as both a solo dive trip and reconnaissance for a future family trip with children. I was assured by parents I met on my first trip that HCR is great for kids as well as adults, and had no reason to doubt it from my observations at the time.

Those impressions turned out to be absolutely correct. My entire family had a truly memorable visit during our ten day stay in May/June 2012. The hotel staff was so immensely kind to my children, at times it made me feel a little weepy. I could give you examples of a thousand acts of kindness, small and large, extended to my children by the hotel staff during our stay. This is not surprising to me at all, given the family-oriented nature of the Cozumel people. It was glorious to behold. Quite a few Americans could learn some things from the Cozumelenos about life's true priorities.

Please read my original 1/12/12 review for a more detailed discussion of HCR's many positive qualities. I would like to add a few more observations from this stay, and amend one aspect of my previous review regarding the evening entertainments, which I did not have time to experience on my first visit.

Several nights a week, HCR presents evening entertainment for the hotel guests, usually from 9:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. On my previous visit, the sound system was rather poor, becoming quite distorted at high volume. That problem has been fixed, and the sound system is now much easier on the ears, which turned out to be a very good thing, because the evening entertainment was exceptional. The first show we watched was a Salsa Dancing extravaganza. The dancers and choreography were so good, I found it very difficult to sit in my chair and watch passively. I ended up having my chance up on stage when my daughter and I were chosen for the salsa dancing contest at the end of the show, and we won!

So began a series of highly enjoyable evening shows performed on the poolside stage during our stay. One night was a Black Light Show that was like a mini-Cirque de Soleil, and the next was a classy Broadway Revue. All shows had entertaining production, tight choreography, impressive costumes, fun music, and some very charismatic performers.

At night the performers display some serious talent on stage, but during the day they are still extremely friendly and do a great job of creating a fun poolside atmosphere. The stage performers act as the HCR entertainment staff during the day, running a kid's club as well as a schedule of adult resort activities, including Spanish classes, merengue dance lessons, pool sports, etc. In between daytime activities, they were on stage practicing routines for the evening shows. Don't miss the afternoon pool volleyball sessions, which can be rather competitive, but all in good fun. A heartfelt thanks to Margarita, Alonso and the 2012 entertainment staff, whose efforts added even more joy to the superlative HCR experience.

The pool at HCR was a huge attraction for my kids. They spent hours and hours playing in the water, and were still ready for more. We also enjoyed snorkeling on the HCR Beach Club waterfront, where many interesting marine creatures were visible. My daughter took the free intro scuba lesson in the pool offered by HCR and Dive Paradise, the onsite dive operation. I was out on the reefs when she took the one-on-one class with the DP instructor, but she is eager to get certified now, so apparently it went quite well!

In my opinion, the food served at HCR buffets were completely suitable for the child's palate as well as mine, and we are all rather picky eaters. Many options were available at every meal, from mild to spicy. My son loved the cheeseburgers and seemingly ate 5 of them every day. The dining staff was highly accommodating, especially considering we were constantly asking about "cacahuete" because my kids have peanut allergies. None of us experienced any stomach distress during our stay.

In conclusion, I enjoyed HCR even more during this visit, which is saying a lot, because I liked it quite a bit the first time. Though not the fanciest resort on the island, the hotel facilities are quite good, the staff is superb, and the place runs like a Swiss watch. HCR provides the guest, adult or child, with incredible value and many options for entertainment and relaxation.

Room Tip: During our visit, we took a tour of the Master Suite and Junior Suites, for future reference. The Ju...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Will N
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were clean and spacious.The staff were attentive and friendly. We enjoyed breakfast there. It was excellent. We have friends in the area so we did not choose to eat all our meals at the hotel.
The pier for scuba diving is across the street. A great view from the pier for sunset viewing .

Room Tip: We chose a room with a pool view but opposite end of the stage for night activities.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family