“Very easy place to stay for a week of diving” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cozumel and Resort

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Very easy place to stay for a week of diving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

I have been there 5 times, and keep going back. It is a well polished all-inclusive resort. It is surely not the fanciest place around, nor is it one of the many diver's dumps on the island. The food is pretty good, and you will find a decent variety at each meal. I usually bring large groups, and even with 30+ people eating three meals a day over there, we have had no problem with eating the salads, fruits and other warned-against items. You will love the soups and the omelet lady.
The rooms are fine, nothing fancy, but fine. The diving is easy, as they have their own lockers and rinse tanks right by the dock. We use Aqua Safari, an off-site dive operator that I have been diving with for over 20 years. They are excellent, and will pick you up right at the scheduled time on the Hotel Coz dock.
You just can't beat the bang for the buck that you get in Coz, and Hotel Cozumel is a safe place to spend that buck.

1 Thank Joe L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Cozumel is one of our favorite places, and this trip was our fourth time staying at the Hotel Cozumel. The staff at the hotel and the location are what keep us coming back. The hotel is located about a mile from the center of town and it is an easy walk, or if you want to take the quick route it is only a couple of minutes by cab. The staff there has always been friendly and accommodating. It's not five star, but everything is clean and comfortable. For the value and the location you can't beat it. We're already looking at booking another trip there in 2012.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DiveLog
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I went to Hotel Cozumel primarily because we got a good price and it had a dock my dive boat would pick me up from.

The hotel is a leasurely walk from town. It is clean; the rooms are clean as well as the common areas.

The service from the hotel staff was pretty good.

The food was an issue. There wasn't much selection, some of the items were unedible.
But for lunch you could get a taco or tortilla made for you hot from the grill.

The house wines were okay; and the bartenders did a good job making any drink you could think of.

Diving: Cozumel gets a 6-7 out of ten. One issue is that the dive sites can be ridiculously crowded.
If you are just a group of 2-4 people going out to dive, avoid the provider at Hotel Cozumel. That is if you like being on a dive boat with 15-20 people. There are many small dive shops that cater to small groups up to 6 divers. I used such a business and that made all the difference.

Diving outside of the marine park the reef are preety well devoid of game fish(groupers,snappers,barracuda...they have all been speared).
I took a scooter and circumnavigated the island. The east coast is very pretty with the rugged shore line and the crashing waves. Note that every east coast beach had a red flag out that day. There are an assortment of bars and restaurants along the east coast. The Mexicans are reasonable drivers; I was more concerned about drunken tourists.
All in all Hotel Cozumel's pluses out weighed it minuses; particularily if you are a diver.

Room Tip: There are 3 floors, 180 rooms around a court yard. Each room has a balcony with racks to dry your di...
5 Thank I-am-a-diver
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

My friend and I came here after trying anumboer of other places. This one we likeds for its comfortable rooms, its pools and beach area and for the convenience of being picked up at their dock by our diver op (not the one on the premises.) The breakfasts were super and we really loved the omelet lady! The coffee was passable. And once we explained ourselves they stopped bringing us hot water for tea that the ran through the coffee machine. Other meals we had here were mediocre so I wouldn't plan on eating here other than breakfast, but then we never had planned to, preferring to go into town.
All in all a good choice. Quiet enough at nice to sleep, eough towels when we asked for more and we'll be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Ventnor City, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

Just got back from a week at Hotel Cozumel and Resort. I can't say enough about the place. Its a diver's Mecca! Every room has racks on the balcony to hang gear. There is wifi throughout the property, although some places are better than others. The bar tenders are great and the booze is real. The quality of the food was very good although the selection got a little boring. The beach club has gear lockers and soak tanks 50 feet from the pier. Plenty of hot water in the showers. My only complaint is that the showers are desinged for short people.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Allen H
minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

My husband & I were lucky enough to be guests for 12 days over Christmas & New Years. This is our 8th stay at Hotel Cozumel and look forward to our 9th!
All the current reviews pretty much say it all. This is a good value for the money. Everyone we encountered had a smile and always looked up to greet you. I found that refreshing! We didn't do all inc. as we love to go out to dinner and have many favorite places in Cozumel that we look forward to revisiting. If you want outstanding food and a white sand beach, this is not the place for you. The entrances to the ocean are either steps or a ladder and it will be too deep for little ones. The plus side is the great snorkeling right in front of you. My husband saw a 4 foot stingray early one morning swimming around the neighbor's (Scuba club) dock!
We were thrilled to have our room request honored as my husband has a medical issue. As far as rooms, we've never been disappointed with any of them that we've had. Yes, the place could use a face lift...but as long as the A.C. works and it's clean and comfortable, we're happy. Housekeeping always came in a timely matter. We'd put out card out for service when we went to breakfast, and 11 out of 12 days it was done by the time we'd return. We ordered directly off the menu for breakfast or did the breakfast buffet. There was a line most days, but it goes quickly and heck, we were on vacation, we had nothing but time! :)
I read all the complaints of the food here. While I agree it's not the best, all I can say is that for the price you pay for your room, drinks and food...I'm sure their profit margin is so small, that they simply can't afford gourmet food! Again, Cozumel has SO MANY great restaurants, that I'd never consider doing all inc. and being within walking distance to town is a huge plus. The short walk to town is convenient and very safe. If you cross the street, that sidewalk is wider and very comfortable to walk on. You also will be greeted by the great guy who is the guard at Scuba Club. He'd greet us every evening as we passed with his "Al Roker lookalike smile" that made us laugh every time we walked by! lol
My only negative comment was that since our last visit, they took the coffee pots out of the rooms! I absolutely LOVE having coffee on my patio in the early morning while reading a book. I find it very inconvenient to get dressed, and go down to the restaurant and then you have to PAY for coffee! We walked up to the store and bought our own coffee maker and coffee. Not a big deal, more of an inconvenience! Then, not wanting to lug a coffee maker home in my suitcase, we gave it to Fernando, (the nicest bellman!) I'd really like to see management put a coffee pot back in the rooms. Every hotel everywhere has coffee pots these days..i think it's a mistake to remove them.
We never hesitate for a minute to recommend this resort to anyone. If you know upfront what they offer, you won't be disappointed. These tripadvisor reports are valuable sources and with photos available, I don't see how one can't do a little research and know what to expect. Great location, great service, clean facilities, and a smiling, welcoming staff will keep us coming back. And oh...every time we go to Cozumel, we drive around and check out every other resort and at the end of the day, we go "home" to Hotel Cozumel and say - "why would we go anywhere else"??!! :) Enjoy yourselves - you're on vacation and don't sweat the small stuff.

Room Tip: I'm not sure I'd spend any extra to get oceanview as it's really street side which is ve...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank K1ay
Broomfield, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

I stayed here with A-1 Scuba from Denver and went scuba diving with Dive Paradise which is attached to the Hotel by a tunnel under the street. The hotel was all inclusive but we still went out for dinner each night. I felt as long as I ate what was being prepared fresh in front of me, the food was great, however the local foods in warming trays were not to my taste. So great omelets, the omelet lady is great and fun to watch, for breakfast, fish, pork, beef or chicken fajitas for lunch after a morning of diving. The hotel staff was friendly and the lobby was comfortable. The beds had foam pads and were comfortable. The "air conditioning" is not your traditional dehumidifying kind, it is on an inside wall and just cools the air but it stays humid, so nothing dries. The balcony has lots of hooks and hangers to hang up wet suits and equipment. The pool area is clean and also has a snack bar for lunch as does the beach side of the hotel. The beach is man made as the coast line is rocky with sea walls and a dock for dive boats to pick up divers. You have a hair dryer and free wi-fi in the room. There are also large bottles of drinking water in the hallways for free. This is a great place for scuba divers but don't expect an up scale resort. It is what it is. I enjoyed my stay and would do it again with a group of divers.

Room Tip: You can be pool side (noisy with evening dance shows) or street side, which can see the ocean but ha...
1 Thank CaboVicki