“A great diver's resort”

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel is older and does need some updating. Rooms are basic. The beds are the hardest I have ever experienced, but then I think this is a Cozumel trait.

The food is mediocre at best but there are some restaurants within walking distance.

Downtown is within walking distance or borrow one of the loaner bikes.

Tip – If walking downtown, wear some sort of dive shirt, then the vendors will leave you alone and not mistake you for a cruise tourist.

Pool area is nice and spacious, the artificial beach was a delight. There is swimming from the rocky shore along with shore diving to do a checkout dive or just to get your gear wet. Lockers are provided for your dive gear, but leaving your gear out to dry is not a problem during the day.

So if you are a diver, then Hotel Cozumel might be the place for you. If you are not a diver and looking for something more modern / updated, then continue your search and keep this hotel on your “B” list.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank SpazCat
There are newer reviews for Hotel Cozumel and Resort

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Hotel was nice. The food and service was exceptional. It is very clean. Best price I could find for the money. The staff was always helpful.

Dive paradise is the only way to go for diving. We dove for 4 days and we had a different boat captain and dive master every time and they were all great.. They were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We had a view of the pool are. It was nice. We had a big balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was a dive trip for my grandson and I. I have been to the hotel several times so I knew what to expect. We went with the all inclusive.
First, this is not a 5 star hotel, so don't expect 5 star rooms or service. It is a 3 star. The hotel has been there a long time and it is used, expect that. The rooms are good, the matresses were good, not too hard and slept well. I heard how bad they were supposed to be, but we both found them comfortable. People complain about the food. It was ok, not great, but not that bad. Again, it is not a 5 star. People complained about the drinks, Just ask for more and you will get it.

We did our diving with Paradise Divers. Great group of guys. No complaints at all.

We also booked a Whale Shark snorkel through them and it was GREAT!

We booked a Jeep for the day, this was not the best experience. The vendor at the hotel wouldn't take a credit card but wanted cash. I tried to explain I wanted to save my cash for later in our trip. The vendor didn't understand apparently. I also felt the rate for a day was very high. I won't do that again.

As far as the pool being cloudy as some complained here, It is summer, it is a huge pool and lots of use. It is going to be cloudy, I didn't think it was that bad.

My grandson and I will definately return here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank howery2016
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We so enjoyed our 1 week stay in Jan.'11, that we came back in May for for 2 weeks !
The staff is friendly, xxtremely courtious all the way around. The food is good, sometimes GREAT. Desert is always yummy! The first time I came the room was perfect.
the second time it was good. All the important things were clean. The worst thing I can say is that when you stay 2 weeks the food can get boring. Having said that , I think f iff that is the worst thing I can think of, well... N/A . I like the family welcome feel the Hotel gives. We have stayed at "posher" places like the Allegro and we think Hotel Coz & Resoert is the BEST overall ! Best bang for your buck for sure. Hector at the front desk can steer you where ever
you need to go. Take a drink go to the beach and watch the sun go down. BEAUTIFUL !
by: PI

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MissMimi1221
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We've been vacationing in Cozumel since 1979. We used to dive here before you had to be "certified". This was our 2nd stay at Hotel Cozumel (It used to be called the Fiesta Americana) and the ammenities are great for the price.

We stayed 5 days on the all inlcusive package - a VERY good deal.

The room was spacious. The staff could not have been more accomodating. The food was good (buffet style) and the drinks were adequate. Beverage service around the pool was nice. Tips to the wait staff helps.

Beds are FIRM. I happen to prefer firm over soft so I was in heaven. My husband has back issues and prefers a softer bed but he didn't seem to have any complaints :-)

I don't dive anymore but my husband and most of our group of 12 did dive each morning. If you dive you won't find a better set up. We've been diving with Dive Paradise (they have an office on the hotel grounds) for about 20 years. Divers departed the hotel pier at 8:30AM (2 dives) and returned at 12:30PM each day. Showers and dive equipment rinsing facilities are ALL right there on the pier with lockers to store dive equipment and hanging racks to dry equipment. Then each day we all enjoyed a fantastic buffet lunch right there beside the dive shop, on the beach - something different each day (the pork chops and baked chicken are delicious!). Having 12 in our group - the hotel had a table set and waiting for us each day at lunch. Then we'd walk back across the street to the hotel for the rest of the afternoon by the pool, or camp out in a lounge chair under a tree on the ocean side, by the hotel pier and snorkel or swim. There are 3 or 4 areas with ladders or steps where a swimmer/snorkeler can easily enter and exit the ocean.

If you have little guys that don't swim well yet the Hotel Cozumel pool is a great place for them to have some fun. The pool has quite a bit of "water decking" where the water is only about 6 inches deep. But if you plan to spend a lot of time on this area, swim shoes might be adviseable. In past years I have noticed that the little square tiles that are used so much in the Mexican hotel pools can cut up the soles of your feet with a lot of activity.

The hotel activities director(s) work up a water volleyball game every afternoon. There is a water basketball hoop that guests seemed to enjoy too. Even with our large group of 12 we were able to find 12 lounge chairs together each day by the pool. I loved the many palm trees around the pool for "lite" sun tanning and also the canopy covered lounge chairs. All in all I didn't have a bad experience at this hotel and will consider visiting again, especially with a large group.

I highly reccomend Hotel Cozumel AND Dive Paradise if you're planning a dive trip. You can't beat the experienced staff. Dive Paradise has 3 locations (maybe more?) on the island. If you stay at another hotel you might want to check to see if they can pick you or your group up at your hotel pier if you stay elsewhere.

3  Thank murphyfun
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is our second stay at Hotel Cozumel and it was just as good as our last visit in November 2010 for another scuba diving trip. The check-in process was very quick and the lady at the reception desk was very friendly. The rooms are not fancy, but are quite comfortable and serve their purpose well.

We had the all-inclusive package which is reasonably priced and included eleven dives; 2 tank dives every morning and a check in dive on arrival. Additional boat dives were $15 each or $6 for a tank fill for shore diving. I would highly recommend the shore diving at the Hotel Cozumel reef for all the critters (no coral, though).
The food was very tasty and they mixed it up just enough so we never felt like we were eating the same food all the time.
The wait staff was very friendly at all of our meals.
The entertainment staff worked hard to entertain, there just wasn't much participation in the nightly activities; better for me, I won a bottle of tequila and a t-shirt!

Overall, this is a great place to stay and a really good value, I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Clean, safe, convenient. Not the newest or nicest resort on the island (and I've tried most of them!) this place is a perfect location to dive from, walk to town or the grocery. Is it fancy? No. Is the food hornet? No. But what did you expect for what you paid, people? It is fine and the staff helpful & friendly. Good enough.