“A good value hotel especially for divers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cozumel and Resort

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Utah
“A good value hotel especially for divers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

If you are value conscious and get this hotel at a much better rate than others you are likely to find it a very good value like I did. I felt the hotel, public areas, pool, rooms, beach and restaurants weer very clean and well kept. You can opt for all inclusive or not - if you get the all inclusive for $35 per person or less you will probably also feel that is a good value. I see some complaints about watered down drinks - come on - all bartenders in Mexico know what double is - or if you're that big on lots of alcohol they will be glad to pour you straight up tequila shots. The drinks will be a great deal unless you are spoiled by and expecting only specific brand name liquors or fancy wines.

The all inclusive food was fine for an inexpensive resort - buffet style for all meals. For breakfast there is an omelet chef, plenty of breads, cereal, fruit(the watermelon always seemed perfect) breads and toast as well as Mexican specialties. At dinner there was always one good chef station meat - fish, pork, turkey etc and a decent variety of other foods. There was always a nice fish selection. I especially liked some of the soups the chef prepared for lunch - Pork and bean was my favorite and I recall a delicious chicken vegetable. The buffet by the beach where lunch was served always had a taco station which varied each day - fish tacos, pork tacos, etc and those were always great fare. I have liked other, but more expensive all inclusives a lot more but the standard all inclusive here is typical or better than the usual in this area.

Or go without the all inclusive - there are plenty of dining and drinking option nearby or buy and drink your own.

If you can't walk 10-15 minutes one way at a normal pace taking in all the Cozumel differences and sights - then you can say this hotel is not near anything. It is at the edge of town. Complaining reviewers must be wimps who think near by means right next door for everything. Places like Carlos and Charlies, and Senor Frogs, plus one of the nicest downtown malls are just 10-15 minutes walk down the main highway, and there is not any safer place night or day in Mexico that Cozumel. Ride the bikes they have if you want an easy 5 minute ride to anything.

What is with the complaints about not being on the beach - the beach front is very scenic, quiet and there are always plenty of loungers available - no having to run out and save chairs. The main resort side of Cozumel is mostly rocky(coral). This resort like others in the area has also multiple very nice tile steps and ladders to let you in and out, plus a nice little area filled with sand and protected from the waves for wading, splashing. The coral shoreline by the resort drops off about 15 feet to the bottom and offers a beautiful variety of colorful fish along the wall for east fun snorkeling in crystal clear water. The water front is also very busy with divers all day long coming and going, taking classes and you can watch their light underwater as there are frequently night dives from the resort waterfront. In this part of Cozumel the highway runs close to the road - it is normal to have a tunnel or street crossing to get to your hotel's beach. If you want a busy, noisy with entertainment beach scene and lots of sand then Hotel Cozumel and probably most of Cozumel is not the right choice for you.

The hotel provides typical entertainment - pool volley ball and activities team, bicycles, water sports and tours, but it doesn't blast you with music in any area, lie some resorts. For early dives - usually 8:30 AM myself and others may not stay up late, The resort provides typical night shows by groups that probably perform at various hotels in the area on alternating nights but they also kept the entertainment to an early and short schedule - usually 8:45 until about 9:30 an then it was quiet time.

I feel the hotel photos are very accurate - they should try to get a few more photos that accent their beach front qualities.

When I was there most of the American tourists, like myself weer divers - this resort draws lots of divers. They know it is a great value plus the resort allows most local shops to pick up and drop off divers at their dock. If you prefer you can use the on-site Dive Paradise with large or small boats. I prefer a small operator called Scuba Mau that goes in small boats and picked me up at dropped me off at the Hotel Cozumel dock each day.

I am not making a stand for saying this is a perfect hotel but it was a very good value for me and I got it at an exceptionally good rate. It was clean, good friendly service and as good or better than I expected from some of the bad reviews. If you are spoiled by brand new hotels, first class service, and paying a lot then this place is probably not for you. Most of the complaints I have no idea what they were expecting - this is a very nice Cozumel value resort with a nice waterfront and also great for divers. It is not a party place.

I was there with some other recent reviewers when the hot water was off for a few days. Sorry stuff breaks at all resorts world wide and Mexico certainly has more than it's share of that. I have been at fancier, more expensive resorts I liked more but elevators that broke down, when I was on the top floor, or hot water that took a full 5 minutes to get warm...once they got the hot water fixed at Hotel Cozumel it was very hot and came through very quickly at least in my room. The air conditioner worked great as well as everything in my room. The few days of hot water problems is the only thing I recall not working or obviossly needing repair at Hotel Cozumel.

You're welcome to contact me if you think I can be of help with more details or helping you decide if this resort would fit you.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
OK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

I am a travel agent and I just booked a couples trip to this resort. First complaint was they open the pool to locals. Water was Brown... Coming from the Faucet. This property had terrible customer service. Very run Down. Per my client "Wont Stay There Again".

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank bbenes25

Travelers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Middleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Cozumel for a week-long dive trip in April. It’s important to understand that the Hotel Cozumel is pretty much set up for divers; this is NOT your lie around, relax, typical all-inclusive experience. If you’re looking for towel animals every day, great spa services, awesome food and drink, and swim-up bars everywhere, don’t come here. The room balconies have pegs and racks for hanging up wetsuits and other diving gear to dry, which we found very useful, since we were there for the diving. Dive Paradise is the diving operation just across the street and connected to the hotel by a tunnel under the road, so it was a simple matter to move from the hotel and meet the boat each day for diving.
As a hotel, it’s a solid three star, despite the Hotel Cozumel logo you see everywhere sporting four stars. The accommodations can be described as clean, Spartan, and in hit-or-miss working order. The staff is friendly and tries hard, but they’re handicapped by a physical plant that’s crumbling, and they do the best with what they have to work with, which isn’t a lot. You don’t have to look hard to see where corners get cut. Sometimes the water in the shower is hot; other times you have to grit your teeth a bit. One thing that made us go ‘hmmm’ was the sign in the hallway advertising the presence of a cooler for fresh water to fill your bottle (you can’t drink or even brush your teeth with the tap water) with no water cooler in sight anywhere near the sign. By walking up and down the halls, you’ll find one eventually, but it was a bit of a hunt some days.
When we first checked in, our toilet plugged at the first use, and the room safe key wouldn’t open or close the safe. We weren’t able to get another room until the next day, so our first day we used the public restrooms in the hotel. The aforementioned friendly staff did get us a room in better working order the next day, so after a first uncomfortable 24 hours, that problem was solved. (No, we weren’t offered any kind of adjustment on the bill.)
If you’re on the all inclusive plan, the Hotel Cozumel does the omelets in the morning well, the fish dishes are usually pretty good, the guacamole is great, and their ice cream is excellent (although the latter two items must be requested; they’re not out for the taking). Everything else, including the burgers, can best be described as forgettable. Our greatest disappointment was the morning coffee, which was seldom hot or fresh. We found that asking our waiter for ‘café caliente’ (hot coffee) usually did the trick; otherwise you get lukewarm. We had wine for dinner one evening, which unfortunately had gone acidic to the degree that I wanted to sprinkle it on my salad with a little oil versus drinking it.
The pool facilities are nice, with the exception of the hot tub (it’s not hot, just a few degrees warmer than the pool) and although you’ll see waiters for the one lonely pool bar circulating everywhere, it’s not always possible to get a drink from them with any speed. Even the customary two dollar tip, which usually keeps them attending you nonstop at most other all inclusive we’ve experienced in Mexico, won’t always do the trick. The drinks were very ordinary…if you’re a beer drinker, you’ll be okay, and they do a marvelous mango daiquiri. We were really astonished, however, to find a Mexican resort bar that couldn’t do a decent margarita….so if you like margaritas, you’ll be disappointed with these.
As far as value, we felt we got our money’s worth ONLY because of the great proximity to the dive facilities, which is why we went to Cozumel on this trip. Absent that, we felt that we paid four star prices for two or three star accommodations. In comparison to other comparably priced all inclusive resorts on the island, the Hotel Cozumel won’t get much over three stars from most any objective reviewer. Coming back, we’d stay there again if the vacation was ALL about diving, (which, fortunately, this one was) but we’d definitely skip the meal plan. For any other purpose, you’ll do better elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John_and_Linda53562
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

We chose the resort after extensive research because we wanted to be close to town but didnt want to pay an arm and a leg. The simple fact is I wouldve gone down the rode to a much nicer location and shelled out the couple extra bucks for the longer cab rides into town. There are pros & cons to each item, besides my last one. I also gave a few Cozumel tips after...

1. The hotel is walkable to town, a long walk, but walkable if you're up for it. frankly to me it was too hot during the day and too scary at night. we checked out the free bikes one day and that was better but then you have to keep track of the bikes. we mostly took the $5 quick cab ride **Note: this hotel is NOT on the ocean. you can take a short tunnel walk underground to get their but the ocean views are in fact ocean and a busy street view.

2. We elected for the Eurpoean package that included breakfast buffet, they didnt provide the passes for it and we had to go back to the desk and ask for them. The breakfast wasnt good. It is a small selection of mostly american food and after a couple of days its boring to eat. We are very thankful we opted out of all inclusive because the food in cozumel is amazing!

3. The rooms were decent. Nice big bed, cool A/C felt awesome coming in from a hot day, TV with plenty of american channels, a nice size bathroom. The bed was firm but not unbearable. The big patios are nice.

4. The pool is large, seats were easy to find and the waiters were super attentive with drinks. The pool "activites" held by the staff were super cheesy.

5. The free wireless was great to have but often really slow or unaccessable at all.

6. Our biggest issue occured on our 4th day when the entire hotel had a pipe break and noone had hot water. This issue turned into a 24 hour issue, then a 48 hour issue, and was still out on the 3rd day when we checked out. We asked if there would be any compensation since we hadnt had a hot shower in 3 days and they said no. Their reason was "it was an unforseen accident that we are working on" ok, I get maybe 24 hours. but day 3 and still nothing? We then asked to speak to the manager who told us the same thing. No aplogy, no offer to waive our $45 drink tab from the pool, nothing. For this alone I will not stay here ever again.

If you want a cheap deal thats close to town its true what they say; you get what you pay for. But Id look into a nicer hotel a little farther for sure over this one!!! Cozumel is amazing and cheap and all inclusive just isnt necessary in my eyes!

I highly recommend the following restaraunts/tours we did that were awesome and decently priced:

1. Casa Mission restaruant, the cab driver will know where its at. amazing food! 2 people dinner & drinks = $65
2. Rolandi's Restarunt, surprisingly delicious italian food right in town with the most amazing view! dinner & drinks = $55
3. book the jeep adventure tour on cozumel-tours.com, its like $80 and worth every penny.
4. on the same website book the Snuba exursion for like $50, its also a must see

Overrated: Senor frogs, Carlos & Charlies, & Pepe's Grill

PS- EVERY store you can haggle pricing on souvenirs!! :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeachgirlCA
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

This review is late! We are headed to Cozumel again (different resort, to the South end) and I discovered we neglected to submit a review.
This is a fine little resort if you want to stay closer to town. The pictures are a little misleading as to the "freshness" of the resort, but we found it to be clean and acceptable given our package rate. We are the adventurous sort, so we do not need nor desire fine accomodations as we end up spending little time there anyway. If this sounds like you then I think you will find it to your liking.
The beach isnt the greatest, the food gets a little monotonous towards the end of your stay ( not bad, just repetitive). We have visited Cozumel several times for diving and have found a few restaurants in San Miguel that we frequent regularly while there.
Our service at the hotel was great. The first night we came back from San Miguel (about a 15 min walk) after the restaurants at the resort were closed, ran into the manager and he made us two plates to take to our room! That set the tone for us and all went well for the rest of the week. I did miss a swim up pool bar!
Dive Paradise is on site and our dives with them were fine. I wouldn't consider this a honeymoon or romantic getaway to be sure. But if you dive, sightsee, go into town or do excursions on the mainland you will be just fine
I have stayed in the South resorts before. The diving is closer and overall much quieter. I generally go into town several times no matter where I stay just to get a change of scenery and food!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HPSGene
Valladolid, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

I'd like to preface my review by stating that I am a 27-year old woman who doesn't have very high expectations. Give me some decent food, cheap liquor, and decent service and I am SET!

I stayed at HOTEL COZUMEL for only a day (11am to 6pm) on a day pass. The reception staff was normal. No smiles, but they did their job efficiently. After receiving my pass, I entered into the resort area which was sub-par. The pool needs cleaning! I immediately noticed that the water wasn't clear. The floor tiles at the resort are out-dated and some lounge chairs need repairing. BUT, I DID get my drink (Bacardi with Diet Coke)!

The staff was limited; there was one cook working to prepare meals for EVERYONE in the pool area. There were 2 bartenders to service at least 50 people. The cooks and bartenders weren't very pleasant, but I wouldn't be happy either if I were cooking/serving drinks non-stop. The pool food was OK. I recommend the fajitas that they prepare on the spot.

Their entertainment staff was OK. The day I was there they did one activity for about 30 minutes and that was it. (It was fun, though!)

This hotel was OK. 30 dollars for a daypass was worth it but I'm glad I didn't stay for the night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

My partner slipped and fell and hit her head on the slick lobby floor in full view of the Mexican reception desk, Mexican security and two Mexican service people who were only a few feet away. While she was on the floor for several minutes crying not one Mexican came to her aid. I ran to the reception clerk and asked for the manager. He yelled at me and said that a doctor and the manager were coming. Neither a Mexican doctor nor the resort manager ever came. How could the desk clerk be telling the truth when It was Sunday and we later found that it was the manager's day off? The manager also was not there on Monday morning when we had to leave.
American guests in the resort lobby including an American doctor immediately came to her aid. After two weeks she still has a headache.
The room was clean but the beds were very had as described in other reviews.
For the first several nights the resort played loud music until late at night and was deafening even from the opposite side of the resort. The resort’s pool rules read that playing loud music at the pool would disturb the guests.
The resort is not directly on the ocean and there is a tunnel under the street and a building which hides the resort from the ocean. There is no beach.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple