“Great instruction and staff!”

Scuba Gamma Diving Center
More attraction details
Owner description: All the ScubaGamma trilingual professional team will be delighted to organize your diving trips in Cozumel, the second largest and nicest coral reef barrier in the world!You will receive the same attention either you are a beginner or experienced, valid or handicapped diver.Do not hesitate to to contact us.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stumbled upon Scuba Gamma after arriving at the Fiesta Americana resort and finding ourselves less than thrilled with the Open Water course at the onsite dive center, Dive House. Lucky us! Jean-Pierre and Danielle, the owners, are delightful and run a great, low-key operation.

DM/Instructor Antonio is absolutely excellent -- he's one of the best dive masters I've ever been out with. Very competent, thorough and energetic. The Scuba Gamma boat is not large, but it is faster than many of the other dive boats out there. They are also kind enough to pick you up at your hotel pier, give you a lift back from town ... they even gave us a ride to the airport on our last day! Rates were very reasonable for courses and dives. They let us have input into selecting dive sites as well.

Only complaint was that their gear is old and a bit worn. Was generally fine, but clasps on weight belts were a bit loose, BCs had seen better days, regulators weren't overly comfortable and wetsuits aren't in great shape. Other than that, Scuba Gamma is really top notch and I'd be glad to dive with them again!

1  Thank arodriquez
"boat"
in 17 reviews
"company"

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Feb. 11/13 did a Refresher dive off the beach with Antonio as it had been 3 years since last my dive ( I do have 25+ dives)
I was very impressed with him
The next day went out with 4 other divers and 3 instructors including Antonio with whom I & another was paired
We were diving at 60' when I hit 1200psi so I gave Antonio a courtesy(as he had requested during dive instructions) - I next notified him @ 900 psi and was given the thumbs up sign again - when I got to 600 psi - I got in his face - he began to group the others and by then I had dropped to 500 psi - then we began our ascent - holding @ 30ft I had less than 200 lbs so he handed me his spare regulator to use - it didn't function correctly as water entered each time I breathed in - we swapped - by the surface after inflating my BFD I had no air left - the whole experience was unbelievable - spoke with owner Jean-Pierre who listened but was non committal - no apology or call back -
The boat was fine, the atmosphere fine, decent snacks - but I felt my life had been put totally unnecessarily at risk.

4  Thank dons381
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at Casa Mexicana again (recommend) and the dive shop is less than a block away. Very laid back. Owners and our DM (dive master) spoke English, French and Spanish. Helpful because we only really speak English. Pedro was our DM 4 years ago and Ben happened to be this time. What we like is the small "class" size 2-6 divers max per instructor. This trip we did 3 2-tank dives then snorkeled in the afternoon on alternate days. This trip there were 1 or 2 other divers with the 2 of us. Ben did a great job of balancing our freedom with our safety. If we cant see each other, we need to be able to see each other's bubbles. We did safety stops even when we didn't need to. Good to be in the habit.

We feel safe with SG. Unlike Paradise Dive shop who "lost" a diver last week (Jan17,13) she never surfaced - pulled down to the bottom if you go too low and blank out) They also lost a diver last year. A failure on her part, her buddy's part (if buddy system) and DM's failure. A lot has to go wrong to just loose a diver.

Our only challenge (call it a complaint) is my wife gets sea sick more often and there's fewer and fewer places to get to shore between tanks or dives. We plan to go to places next time and insist on getting to shore for rest breaks.

Typically, they will drive you to the marina or put you in a taxi to get there. We'll unload and load the boat. (You don't have to help but we always chip in.) If you're unsure of anything ask and ask again if you have to.

We are novices really with less than 30 dives each. But here's some of our rules of the reef.

Smaller is better & safer.
Insist on the buddy system.
Use the buddy system.
Listen/Obey to your DM.
Never prepay for dives - you don't know the weather / anything can happen.
Trust your gut feelings.
If you feel drunk, ascend until you don't.
Stay calm no matter what.
Check your depth and o's every several minutes.
Be observant - cant stress that enough.

1  Thank KB80439
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I did my PADI certification at Scuba Gamma, but they were more than just a dive shop. Jean-Pierre and Danielle, who run the shop are very warm, friendly and professional. Our instructor Sixto was excellent - very patient and easy-going and inspired confidence in us. During our stay in Cozumel we would often start our day (even our non-diving days) at Scuba Gamma, as they were also very helpful in guiding us around the island - for the best restos, bars, etc... We never wasted our time & money in any tourist traps, and had only the best food along with locals. HIGHLY recommended!!