“Clean if nothing else”

Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Minneapolis
“Clean if nothing else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

The first thing to know: there is no beach here. Second thing to know: the place straddles a busy road, a pedestrian bridge allowing access to the two halves. Third thing to know: cruise ships! Right down the road is a major cruise ship terminal. Fourth thing to know: don't assume anything. In other words, I witnessed a number of guests protesting that the room they had reserved was not available. The front-desk response? "We are booked solid." Ocean view room? Well, if you call a thin slice of blue that one can possibly catch between two buildings an ocean view, then, yes it is an ocean view. On the plus side, it was safe and clean. Because many of the guests scuba dive during the day, the pool is weirdly empty. Speaking of the pool, it is surrounded by a wide expanse of concrete. Honestly, I really do think that the only reason to stay there is that is a skip and a hop to one of several dive shops. Book this for a honeymoon, and your spouse will divorce you on the spot.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hans50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

Stayed Feb. 17th - 24th with my husband, sister and her oldest son. Overall we loved it. We got a very good deal and did the all inclusive. The food was good, loved all the fish dishes we tried! Casa del Mar is not a 5 star resort, and doesn't try to say it is, but it is a solid 3 star, in my opinion. The beach was a good place to snorkle, but there are lots of rocks. If you just want to lay in the sun you will find more than enough places to do it here.
We were always waited on for drinks and food whether we were at the beach or by the pool. And the service was excellent!
The staff at the restaurant, and beach bar were great! Very attentive and fun. I couldn't say the same for all the front desk personnel unfortunately. You could say they tried I guess.
The only real problem? The safe deposit boxes were in the lobby and they were all taken. Not enough to cover all the rooms rented? We asked about getting one the first 3 or 4 days, after that we just quit asking. Which meant we had to carry personal info and money with us at all times. Not good!
Overall, we were very happy, we would go back to Casa del Mar and we would do the all inclusive. Especially if we could get such a good deal again.

• Liked — small grounds, restaurant pool and beach all very close and convenient
  • Disliked — the rocks at the beach
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank travelgrandmaOhio
bemidji minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2008

This was my second trip to Casa del Mar and my husband's first. We had a great time and will not hesitate to come back. They finished off the water's edge side of their property nicely and we hung out there often. Easy snorkeling right there and entertaining to watch the cruise ships come in and out and the divers suit up. (we are not divers but find it possible for the future) Wednesday was SUPER CRUISE SHIP DAY with ten ships in Cozumel and it was a windy one. Interesting to watch them shuttle people back and forth. We loved the free breakfast at Casa del Mar and the free internet. Our room wasn't a premium choice (room 105) but worked out just fine and we both slept like rocks the whole time. They have added egg crate cushions on the beds so that was nice. We ate off the menu three times I think and everything was good. We also tried La Mission Too on our last night (on the same side of the road as Casa del Mar just steps away on your way toward town) and it was very good and very inexpensive. We would have eaten there more often. Did one timeshare presentation which was not unpleasant and paid off well for us. Also toured the island one day (with our free jeep from said presentation) and went out to punta sur which we had not seen since before wilma. It was very nice out there. Saw the crocs in the lagoon and snorkeled and climbed the lighthouse. Beautiful view.(ten dollar per person entrance fee....ten dollars to rent snorkel gear.) Casa del Mar is a very nice 2 1/2 mile walk from town...we did it twice. Also got to climb the lighthouse on the way to town. A guy was painting the doorway and another couple approached him as my husband and I watched...and we were sure they would be turned away...but then there they were waving from the top, so up we went. Some of the stairs were a little questionable but I'm sure they had recently been OSHA inspected. :) All in all, a great vacation and we would recommend Casa del Mar and will probably be back next year.

• Liked — Easy water access...a little bit out of town while still being easily accessible...quiet.
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything I disliked.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MNhasSnow
2000vert
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

I stay at Casa Del Mar every time I go to Cozumel. The staff always remembers me and the rooms are always clean. I stayed at another hotel after the big hurricane and I was very disapointed. I was wishing I was back at Casa Del Mar. I will never stay anywhere else. The location is perfect and quiet. The private little beach has good snorkling.

• Liked — The hotel is small
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank 2000vert
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

This place was horrible! The staff were very rude, the hotel had a very horrible odor as we walked up to the room. The beach was located over an overpass over top of the street. Their small beach was very inadequate and I wouldn't recommend walking on the sand with no shoes as a big chunk of wire was embedded in my foot... i told the hotel staff and they didnt even say sorry they just grabbed it and threw it out. Kind of scary since you see a lot of ads on Television about hepatitis. Thank god we didn't book for an entire week at this place and it was just one day.. we didnt even stay there the night. We actually got there at noon and paid for a night and then left and went somewhere else. I would likely give this place 1/2 star and that's pushing it.. They really need to get rid of the sewer smell. They also advertise that they have internet in the lobby that is wireless... The whole network is very very slow, it takes a minute to load a page and we weren't the only people that complained about that...

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CanadianDewd
Philly area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

Casa Del Mar is very pretty to look at. The location we felt was premium - half way between the national park beaches and the town of San Miguel. The overpass walkway to the beach was a very nice feature other hotels did not have.
The price was great...but you get what you pay for. The rooms are very basic. When we arrived we were taken aback at the mustiness of the room. It was oppressive! The airconditioner cleared that up - while the air conditioner worked. It kept freezing up and we would wake up HOT. And at one point it was actually spittin ice!
The TV remote was broken. And the plumbing is not insulated, so the water from the room above us was quite loud.
Having said that, the rooms are clean, the staff friendly and helpful.
The restaurant was not a Mexican experience in culinary arts. I do not recommend the all inclusive. (We went all inclusive)The menu is limited and I cook better in my own kitchen. But the bartender is very good. But I wished I hadn't pre-paid for my food b/c we passed places that smelled oh so good!
Nice clean pool, and a large hot tub, but the two times we considered it, the hot tub wasn't clean.
Overall, I do reccommend this hotel for location and a tight budget. But if you can afford a little more luxury, it will probably be worth the price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room condition and food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank jinxxlady
Michigan City, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2008

just got back from cozumel, mexico and a wonderful stay at the hotel casa del mar. what a great little hotel. the only problem we had all week was our flight into cozumel. the was mechanical problems and they couldn't get another plane in for us in time (cozumel has a curfew and the airport closes down). besides that, the trip was perfect.
i do not recommend this hotel for people who do 5 & 6 stars all inclusive. you will not be happy. if, on the other hand, you want your basic amenities, this is it. food was good. breakfast was all most the same with a new item every day or so. the menu is two pages and doesn't change. we got little snacks off it and were satisified. the staff was great, by the second day the waiters new us by name. HOLA!!!!!! ANTONIO!!!! i do not recommend doing an all inclusive here, unless you don't mind the same menu.
we booked this trip with a standard room, when we got there they showed us the room plus a few others. i suggest upgrading out of the standard. standard is 2 full size beds(i believe) a window view and shower area. we upgraded to a balcony room (100.00US extra well worth it) had a nice view of the pool and the sea. sunsets weren't that great because of the cruise ships in blocking the view, but not the hotels fault.
i've read some reviews about the shower water not being warm. i must say, we had HOT water all week.
yes the hotels beach is small, but your on an island, EXPLORE!!!! there are beaches EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!
all in all this was a great place to stay and we will most likely be back next year.
gracias!!!!!!
if we don't stay there we will at least go back for a meal!!!!

• Liked — the size, it was not overwelming
  • Disliked — cruise ships blocking sun set and the ice machine broke!!!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple