El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
  • Pool
Villa Vista(Cozumel)
Suites Bahia(Cozumel)
5,931 results
All reviewsnorth towerfishla verandanew towerindoor restaurantorder off the menupiano playerreservation restaurantsit down restaurantfancy restauranta la carte restaurantfajitasocean viewmake reservationsbuffet foodthe furydive shop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 6, 2004

My husband and I just returned from Cozumel (8/28-9/2) where we celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary and stayed at El Cozumeleno. I'm disaapointed with most recent reviews that were posted because I had a great time at the El Coz.

I would agree with the remarks about the hard beds. They are a little stiff but lots of pillows help and I prefer a firmer bed anyway, so it didn't bother me. We took about $50 bucks for tipping and got decent service. We left a couple bucks for the maid and she did give us extra water and towels. My husband and I always found something that we liked at the buffets. The snack shack that operates between lunch and supper isn't all that great but a burger is a burger...can't really screw that up. I didn't see many flies around the food...most of the time it was covered anyway. We didn't get sick from the food either. Now, the tequila is another story. :)

In my opinion, the beach was not dirty at all...it was beautiful. The ocean was amazing. If you get up early (7ish) and snorkel off the hotel's beach, you'll see some cool stuff (particularly around the short pier). We saw an octopus, puffer fish and a 6ft. long moray eel. Very cool! Our room, the pool and the grounds in general were extremely clean. We did scuba diving, snorkeling and a sunset cruise through Antonio at the dive shop located at the resort. I didn't have a problem with the prices. I did some checking around before I left and it seemed like everyone was charging about the same. I loved Anotonio and Carlos in the shop and the crew on the boats. Extremely friendly and tons of fun.

The only thing that I think I would have a complaint about was the head waiter that you make reservations with at the nice restaurant. The first day we were there, we tried to make reservations and he said that he'd work us in for a fee. We got there a little late so didn't think much of slipping him $5 but when he tried telling me the same thing the next morning at 8am, I got a little irritated. I have no problem tipping someone that is waiting on me, getting me a drink or cleaning my room but I'm not paying you to write my name down on a freakin' piece of paper. Give me a break! So, watch out for him. (--)

All in all, we had a great time at the resort and in Cozumel. We're not world travelers (yet) so maybe we're easier to please than most. But this is a 3 star hotel, not a 5 star so don't go with unreal expectations and you won't be disappointed. Personally, I don't go on vacation to just eat and sleep. If that is what you go on vacation for, don't stay at El Coz. To everyone else, you'll love it. Have a great time! I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

1  Thank KansasGurl
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 6, 2004

We stayed at El Cozumelo from 8/23/04 though 8/30/04. The staff were helpful, however I would advise taking a class in Spanish because the staff English is limited with the exception of the Manager.

The only downfall I seen were athough the dining seating area overlooked the water you could not enjoy it because you are battling with flies. A suggestion "make reservations at the restaurant.
and bring plenty of "OFF".

Lastly, if you want to get around the island, rent a Moped you would get your money worth and its cheaper.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2004

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the El Coz. And I'm sitting here wondering what the problem with so many people who have previously written reviews. I did my research and had some trepidations - but glad I stuck with my original plan. I think what the problem with many of the negative reviewers is thay they just don't get the fact that they are in a FOREIGN COUNTRY and the rules and customs are different (yes even at an all-inclusive resort in MEXICO - which last I checked is not part of the US). I think a little kindness and understanding goes a long way - now will you make all people happy and will everyone be pleasant - no, but for the most part the staff at the El Coz were very warm (if you at least tried to warm up to them instead of being the "ugly american" as was so prevalant).

The resort grounds are very nice and maintained, the beachfront was perfect and there was some great snorkeling in front of the property. The Dive Shop was great and keeping my gear for me until my next dive was fantastic (thanks Carlos and Jose)! As a suggestion, I would bring your own snorkeling gear or rent some in town for the duration as you can only use it for a short period of time when checked out (but who is going to snorkel for hours on end)?. PS do bring a towel for excursions off property as they are strict about their towel policy. They had plenty of activities and no shortage of great views. The other benefit of the hotel is the shorter ride into town versus some resorts on the south side of the island.

Our room was in the new section with a GREAT VIEW (I'd be happy to share my sunset pictures), large balcony, cold A/C, big shower....in short it was what I expected - nothing more, nothing less. Tipping the housekeeper a couple of bucks daily kept us in fresh bottled water and extra towels.

The food - well at least some reviewers got that right - it's not the greatest, but not the worst either. I didn't come to Cozumel expecting this and made the best of the situation. The inside resteraunt is nicer and the food better, so try to make reservations. The breakfasts were just fine as were the lunches (never had a problem with these) and we made do with the dinners.

As for people griping about the staff - well if you had to put up with a bunch of ingrates day after day - you'd become a bit surly also. Please folks - remeber this is Mexico and a smile and a bit of knowledge of the spanish language goes a long way. Shake their hands, pat them on the back, greet them warmly - this is the Mexican culture that most of their citizens have and appreciate. I'd go back and am glad that all those negative reviewers won't, it'll give me more peace and serenity at the resort.

• Stayed: September 2004
9  Thank SWAUSHORN
willingboro, NJ
Reviewed September 1, 2004

This place is the pits. When we arrived our rooms weren't ready so we went out to the buffet. That's when it all began. We sat there swatting flies the entire time. I never ate out there again, room service from that point on. The head waiter made it his business to inform us about his status several times. He also stated that the tip was to go to him. That was a conplete turn off. Next we went to our rooms on the old side with the ocean view of the GOLF COURSE. My friends room was infested with mini bugs. The beds were soooo uncomfortable I slept on the couch. They only left one wash colth each day. We conplained about our rooms to Jesus who became very rude. His attitude accorded when we didn't book horse back riding with him. His response was " Bring the money to me". Once I informed him that we already paid he stated " I don't know who is gonna help you change your room then. " The activities are so time restricted. When went several time to go snorkeling and was told nothings available. This is unexceptable for a diving resort. The drinks were watered down. I didn't enjoy the pool. Also the lock the payphone up at 10pm so no calling the states after the cutoff. One payphone for that large of resort is crazy. I wouldn't recommend this resort. I left with the taaste that the mexicans are money hungry and you get what you want if yougot what they want=MONEY.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 31, 2004

My fiancee and I stayed at the El Cozumeleno in August after we got engaged. It was billed as a 5 star resort but isn't even close. We were very pleased with our room and the amazing views the rooms offer, but the other amenities just don't add up.

The food is bad (I honestly lost weight). There's not much variety and little flavor. The waiters are friendly but not anxious to wait on you. As with an all-inclusive, it seems everything was watered down including the drinks! I'm not really sure there was alcohol in them! The restaraunt is better but good luck getting a table. We couldn't get reservations the whole time we were there until we slipped the maitre'd a $20 to help us. We finally got seated but it was very late in the evening.

The water sports are of no value. The dive shop is way overpriced even for a resort and trying to get a time to parasail or something else is unlikely unless its booked a week in advance.

Overall, the hotel was a disappointment and I would choose someplace else to go next time. Save your money and stay some place cheaper and pay for your food!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member