“Lots to Like at a Great Value Especially if Snorkeling is Your Thing”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Dallas, Texas
“Lots to Like at a Great Value Especially if Snorkeling is Your Thing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We booked this trip through Costco Travel and we were very pleased with the experience. I'll divide my review into 5 parts so please scroll down if you are looking for anything in particular: Location, Amenities, Food, Room Quality and Customer Service.

Location: Depending on what type of vacation you have planned you will either love this location or just tolerate it. It's the resort on the northern most part of the hotel strip, which is only a couple of miles from downtown but feels much further. A cab ride to downtown/ferry terminal runs about 80 pesos. The best part for us about the location was how remote it was because we were looking for relaxing and peaceful trip primarily built around the beach. If we were looking for a more active trip then it would have been a little inconvenient. Of course we probably would have been in Cancun or Playa del Carmen if we were looking for more action.

Amenities: The amenities are very nice and were kept very clean. There is a bar in the lobby and bars next to each pool. The two pools are quite different as the larger is run like a beach party and the smaller is more quiet and reserved. We spent one day at the larger pool before settling into the beach and smaller pool for the remainder of our stay. Both pools were clean and the larger has a nice waterfall, three separate areas and a swim-up bar. The beach is really nice and from our wanderings up and down the beaches of Cozumel appear to be among the best. There is a white sand area with several straw-roof cabanas and recliners. If you are laying out by the pool then there is ample recliner space but if you are headed for the beach then you should get down there before breakfast to get your towels set out to hold them as they fill up quickly. The best part of the amenities is the snorkeling. We have snorkeled in a few dozen different places and this was just about the best we've ever experienced. The best part is it is literally right off the resort beach. The reef covers quite a spread of the beach and there are dozens of different species. I saw a wide variety of fish including lion fish, manta ray, sole, puffer, trigger, baracuda along with the normal cast of characters. It is just outstanding snorkeling. There is also a nice miniature golf course, tennis court and a rec room with pool and ping-pong. They loan out sea kayaks and rent out wetbikes and there is onsite snorkeling instruction for a fee. Of course there is a full complement of travel and excursion salespeople staffing the lobby representing all the normal travel company's. The wi-fi is only really available in the lobby and nearby patio areas. The attempts at entertainment are typical middling quality for resorts but provide a nice respite to the week.

Food: The available outlets for food are room service, buffet, menu and a reservations required more formal dining restaurant. We tried all four. The room service is convenient and the typical resort types of room service food is available. I think the latest we ordered something was 11 PM and the earliest we ordered breakfast was 7 AM. The buffet and menu restaurant are actually the same place eventhough represented as two. The buffet food is pretty good and the quality actually surprised us both. They do a nice job of mixing it up and have a theme for each night. The menu service food is prepared a little better, as can generally be expected. They only offer it at lunchtime which is kind of a negative. The reservation restaurant was actually quite disappointing. They have a dress code that is strictly enforced until 9 PM or so. Long pants are required for men and dresses or long pants for women. The food takes a stab at fine dining but really came up short. We visited once and decided it just wasn't worth the effort with the reservations, dress code, etc. and didn't return. The buffet ended up being our primary meal option and we were quite pleased with the quality and variety, considering it is buffet food.

Room Quality: Our room was on the 18th floor in the south tower and was apparently recently renovated. It had modern features while maintaining the rustic "Cozumel feel" the island is known for. We had a shower (no bathtub) with moderate water pressure and the hot took a few minutes to warm up. There is also a separate vanity area (that my wife absolutely loved), a smallish safe, 42-ish" flatscreen with almost exclusively Spanish-speaking channels, a small dining table, and a hideaway-bed sofa. The bed was a Queen-size and fairly comfortable but the pillows left something to be desired. There is also a patio that was really nice and had a stunning view of the ocean and resort waterfront. We had some nice breakfasts and night-cap cocktails enjoying the beautiful view. The rooms probably aren't the reason to select this resort eventhough they are very comfortable.

Customer Service: We found the quality of customer service to be top-notch throughout our stay. All personnel were extremely friendly and accommodating at every turn. If you are new to the "all-inclusive" world then please understand that tipping is not really "included". We typically tip 10-20 pesos for each round of drinks, 10-20 pesos for our housekeeping person each morning and 10 pesos per luggage piece for our bellboy. For the courtesy we always received 'full-strength' drinks, extra bottles of water and towels from house-keeping and immediate response to our requests. Certainly no implying we wouldn't have received the same excellent service if we weren't tipping but it just seems to work out a little better when you do.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at El Cozumeleno Beach Resort. We had a very relaxing 8 days and returned home refreshed from a week of swimming, snorkeling, sunbathing, enjoying libations, being waited on hand and foot and entertained. We definitely would return for another vacation.

Room Tip: Request the south tower and a room on a high floor. The view is awesome and it keeps you away from t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank us2travellin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,568)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed it so much that we decided to make it our annual vacation spot! Service is remarkable, food is superb, and you can't find a better location! The live activities every day with the staff were fun and even funnier to watch! They pay attention to details to make sure everyone's stay is an enjoyable one. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for an affordable paradise to vacation.

Ardmore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is our second trip to cozumeleño and fifth trip to yucatan resort area. (Also lived in mexico city many years for work) We have stayed in very expensive all inclusive resorts and this lower priced resort hotel. Cozumeleño is best bargain hands down. Rooms are old but very clean, beach is small and rocky with good snorkling which is average for Cozumel. Food is abundant and ranges from spectacularly delicious and fine to blah, depends on what you eat. Be sure to try the upscale restaurant although pants are required-no shorts or beach clothes which is understandable. Food was best I've had, we had chefs special for the night-grilled salmon, cauliflower and shrimp cream soup, lemon cream three layer cake. Drinks are acceptable quality. Live shows in the evenings are entertaining. It is low key, family and mid age friendly. Bar etc closes at 10:00. Service was outstanding. Staff very courteous. Be sure and tip for best service and because staff makes about 600 dollars a month without tips and work about 50 hours a week.

3 Thank Anna D
Union, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

So my girlfriend and I took out first trip to Cozumel. With the ratings El Cozumeleno was receiving I had no doubt about checking it out. We were excited about visiting another part of Mexico (first was Cabos San Lucas) especially that it was island. As soon as the taxi pulled up in front of the hotel, we were a little iffy about the outdated look of the resort, seeing that now we notice they show no pictures of the front of the resort. We were greeted by a lovely lady , Martha, at the reception desk who was just a delight. We booked a regular Ocean view room, she went on to upgrades to a Sky Ocean View, 9th floor, which we were excited about. At this time we received our welcome drink, which sadly tasted like Water down Kool aid. Anyhow we received our key, safe key and beach towel key cards. I will rate room, food & drinks, and so on.

Room:
So we were on the 9th floor, with an amazing view of the ocean. I was blown away by it, the room itself was ok. The bed for us was king size and comfy (though it wasn't really the mattress, it was the foam on the mattress that made to comfy. The shower was by far the worse set up I've ever encountered, the pressure was beyond horrible, and trying to figure how to get warm water going was like trying to open a safe. So big points lost there. I read reviews about the a/c being bad, to be honest it was good for us. I will say the room needs huge updating but the cleaning lady's came by twice a day and did a great job with ROOM cleanliness. So I give room 3/5, and that's mainly cause of view.

Food & Drinks:
Wow, so by far my most shocking experience of the resort. I'll start with the "swim up" pool bar. It had the worst smell and look beyond dirty. The bartender Mateo, was an o.k. Guy, we even gave him a $20 tip to make sure he took good care of our drinks. Sadly, the drinks were beyond weak and the cups were just plain dirty. They even ran out of straws at one point. So my gf and I decided to check out the snack bar. If there is one thing I can say is how does management even allow this food to be serve, the "hamburger" was this flat patty with hard rock buns, the hot dog stale as can be, the chicken nuggets were like pebbles. We took one bite and left the plate. For lunch we went to the buffet El Coral. Listen, my gf and I are not stuck up people, or nowhere near like that, but omg the food was honestly down right bad, everyday we were there, things seemed microwaved, stale, and uncooked. I was nervous of even touching the soda machine or drinking anything that wasn't bottle. I grew up in Colombia and even this was beyond belief. The infamous birds everyone speaks of are real, and our all over the buffet, literally. So that night we ate at the Veranda Restaurant. Once again the service is great, the bread snack they gave was good, my gf ordered Onion soup and I order Seafood soup, once again plain bad. Them we both got the filet Migon , which was down right horrible, I mean I was honestly shocked of how bad this was. The dessert was so stale. It's honestly shocking to me how can food be this bad. Once again, the service is great, the workers are so nice, but that is completely overshadowed by the quality of the food. That night I was in the bathroom at 1:30am for an hour with bad stomach pains and the runs.
The rest of my time here I try to eat as little as possible due to the fact of how and the food was.
El Veranda Restaurant 1/5
El Coral 2/5

The Resort & Activities:
The nice thing about the resort is the clear blue beAch right in front of it, and they have snorkeling for free (I saw swordfish, a few tropical fish and even baby jellyfish). They have jet ski $60 for 30 minutes . For some weird reason the resort right next to us
, the beach wAter was downright dirty and to the point you couldn't see the bottom unlike our side which is split by a wall (don't understand how that work) . The sand had its good and bad areas. The fitness room is beyond outdated, badly. They have a room with pool table, ping pong but the a/c did not work. The mini golf was ok, though for some reason hole 14 doesn't work, you would think they would fix this. The lobby was the one place were wi-if worked good, but was always hot, no a/c. The pool is average at it best, but I've seen better pools at resorts in America. So resort gets a 2.5/5.

Cozumel:
We went into the city twice, people are so nice and great with service. Are favorite place for drinks was Fat Tuesdays, we went into Señor Frog which was fun for daytime. We went back at night, Saturday, I must let all young people know, Cozumel is not the place for nightlife, the town was a ghost town on a Saturday night, very very shocking. I'm 28 and my gf 30, but this is definitely not a party island but more calm and quite.

So sadly, it was nice to get to know the island of Cozumel, but I wouldn't go back before I try a million other places. People are great, but the island is more for a calmer, very very calm kind of group. The resort was seriously a disappointment and I would of hope for better. I would honestly recommend this resort to anyone and it really bothers me to say that.

Room Tip: All rooms are exactly the same except views
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AlbertoAM0614
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

The queen beds are really hard. I spoke with other guests and they said the same thing. Get a king size bed they are softer and sleepable. Rooms need fans. Food was OK. The Hotel was great, awesome views, best snorkeling right at the hotel. The staff was superb. Best thing for me was the friendly service, worst thing for me was paying 26 dollars for the cheapest sun block they had.

Nutley, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Fam. vac. for our daughter who grad. from college
3 rooms bet us turned into 7
Little or no A/C
No wi fi
Gross food, smoking and mosquitoes all over
better results in our backyard
Save yourself
Awful!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Jeanette B
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

The Staff was very accommodating and informative. It was a pleasure to eat in the dining room and be pampered by the wait staff. Everyone greeted us every day and couldn't do enough for us. The food was excellent at every meal

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family