“Great Service and nice place for Mexico”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great Service and nice place for Mexico”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was our first visit to this resort. The place is pretty nice for Mexico standards. Very clean and super friendly people. The food at the restaurant was good but the buffet food was not so great. My only complaints aren't really that significant but something that annoyed us. To make reservations for the one restaurant, you have to physically go to the front desk at 8am to get a decent time such as 7 or 8 pm (and even then you're lucky to get those times). Also, we always heard a lot of noise coming from the front of the hotel every morning around 6:30 that woke us up way earlier than we wanted to wake up.We think it was food being delivered or something because it was loud trucks and people slamming things around. It happened every day at the same time. Anyway, overall I think this place was pretty great. Clean, friendly people, and decent food. I would go back!

1 Thank Amanda P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,589)
Farmington, Utah
Reviewed January 27, 2014

It was more than I had expected. The food was just fine, you could always find something you liked. We only ate once at the restaurant, and it was good, but I liked eating whenever I wanted at the buffet. They should make a rule that you can't save the pool lounges. That is so stupid that people do that, and half the time I don't even think they used them. The Staff is so friendly and helpful. The snorkeling is fabulous.

1 Thank Regan M
Williamstown, Kentucky
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have been to the El Cozumel 3 times total and I really enjoy this resort. The staff is great, always helpful, and friendly. The location is great it is very quiet, close to the beach and great for snorkeling. You will see the majority of fish here as you would anywhere else. (Bring a waterproof dive light and go at night. You will see large flounder, squid, and octapus. You can find them on amazon for about 25-35 dollars) The food is decent but has improved greatly each time I have been and is on par with most All Inclusive resorts within this price range. It is close to town, and the airport so it cuts down on taxi fares. The mattress in the rooms are hard but not that big of a deal. The drinks are fine, they use cheap alcohol but it is free. If you bring your own glass they will fill that for you so you don’t have to use the small plastic ones they provide.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground level so you can walk from your balcony saves the hassle of stairs and elev...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Garrett G
Bemidji, Minnesota
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was my first time in Mexico and my first time at an all inclusive resort. My family and I had a great time. The staff was friendly. Nobody was pushy. Everybody was helpful. I was a little worried about the food after reading so many bad reviews. The food was more than good enough for me. If you order something special off the menu it takes a really long time to arrive. It appeared the dinning staff was understaffed. I often saw the same people running between restaurants and waiters sometimes had 20 tables each. I was only disappointed in the lack of non-alcoholic beverages. The staff will get you anything you want. But it takes time. I'd rather fill my cup myself. The ice-cream machine was also frequently empty. It seems that when it runs out it's out for the day.

The pools are all really cold. So cold that they are not really swimable which is a shame. The beach is nice enough. There are a lot of large rocks (think sharp, jagged, boulders) near the shore and in the water. It's like this all over the island. The water is very warm and relatively calm. Snorkeling was very fun. They also have huge rafts / slides they bring out into the ocean for kids on the calmer days.

The rooms are clean. Like a lot of other people have already stated. They are a little dated. The linens were somewhat worn, the framed prints sun faded... ect. I don't think anyone but the most picky would be put off by this fact. I have stayed in many upscale hotels that are worse in the USA. The room had a tile floor which I didn't like. It makes sense because it's really humid in Cozumel. Unfortunately, this translates into a constantly damp floor. The light in the bathroom was far too dim. I have child nightlights that are far brighter. The bath also does not have a bathtub. Only a shower. It was only a problem for me because I have small children.
The view off the balcony was really nice. I was on the 6th floor. The view made up for all the rooms shortcomings.

They don't have a lot of night entertainment. What they did have I really enjoyed. Especially the dancing. Things taper off dramatically after 8pm. That was fine for me. The atmosphere here is much more relaxed. If you want clubs and wild parties this probably isn't the place for you.

I feel like I nit-picked a lot in this review. I had a great time and I would recommend this resort to people traveling with families or looking for a more laid back atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank noahjwhite
Clifton Hill, Missouri
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have stayed there 2 years in a row and love it there. The people are very nice and friendly. Very clean. It cost $8 to take a taxi downtown to go shopping and $8 back to the resort. The only downfall is it cost $16 to go to the international pier if u want to go scuba diving... but if u can get good enough rates at the resort then that evens out.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Rlgordon
Clarissa, MN
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We recently returned from our trip at the El Cozumeleno (Jan 18-25)...First & foremost the hotel was very clean and the grounds were kept up very nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. I've read lots of complaints about the food here so I was a little concerned, but was pleasantly surprised. It's not 5-star gourmet, but if that's what you are looking for a budget all inclusive isn't the place for you to begin with! Yes the buffet food wasn't always the warments, but what do you expect at an all-day buffet. I recommend ordering from the menu or getting whatever's on the grill for the evening.
Our only complaint was that the outside bar closed down so early (10pm). Yes, you could go inside and sit in the lobby and drink or go upstairs to their lounge on the second floor. We tried the lounge one night and we couldn't stay in there for more than one drink....The musty smell was just too much.
All in all I would recommend this hotel to families or couples looking for a nice clean property with a good beach. On the other hand if you want lots of nightlife and a little more variety with restaurants, you should spend a little more money and try another location!

Room Tip: I would recommend spending the little extra for the ocean-view room and something on the fourth floo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Heido12
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We bought the cheap seats. 7 days at El Cozumeleno for $1100 ea. We thought that was a bargain and it is but beware that you will get what you pay for. There is apparently an old and a new section to this resort and we most definitely got the old so I can't speak about the new. Here's what you don't get for your cheap rate.
Internal door locks
Do not disturb signs
A key to the door that opens to the beach (you have to walk all the way around to the front of the building then through the lobby) if you get a ground floor room. The door opens but you can’t lock it from the outside when you leave.
More than 1 bottle of water per day left by the maid
Ice (never did find the ice maker)
A refrigerator
A coffee maker
Room service is an extra charge
The towels in our room used to be white but are now sort of gray. They have been in service for a long time and were very thin. There were 2 queen beds in our room. They took up so much space that you couldn't open the closet door without shoving the bed a little. No deadbolt on the door or anyway to lock it from the inside. The acoustic tile suspended ceiling panels had been painted to hide mold and water damage and the vents for the air conditioning were old and dirty. The room itself was huge. 18X21 not including the bathroom which was huge too. The room really was past due for a remodel.
In the morning, head to the lobby for coffee where you will find a small capacity coffee dispenser, maybe a dozen cups and an unending stream of people trying to get to it. I think my success rate of getting a cup was once in every 3 trips. Very good coffee ‘tho. At around 7am more coffee is available in the restaurant adjacent to the lobby. The wifi was unusable beyond the lobby and often not usable there.
The lobby bar was fun but the ONE bartender also had to service the restaurant so service was very slow at times. Drinks are thrown together with great haste and very watery. They also bring ice into the bar in styrofoam chests that are dirty around the edges from being handled so often.There is some good booze at the lobby bar, all the others have well grade liquor.
See other reviews for the food, Average all inclusive fair.
Don’t change Dollars for Pesos at the front desk. When we were there the exchange rate was 13.5 and the desk was giving 11.5. If you need to break a $20, ask the bartender, he’s got lots of change.
The beach is narrow and rocky. Lots of unsightly sand bags laying around trying to hold the sand in place. BEAUTIFUL clear water for snorkeling (free mask and fins for 1 hour with i.d.) There are two breakwater piers on the beach that keep the water calm. It is like swimming in an aquarium.
My overall impression is that this place cuts every corner it can to stay profitable. The hot tubs were hot 2 of the 7 days we were there, and one of them is a tiny and old. The napkins in the buffet dining area were the thinnest cheapest grade paper imaginable.
The staff did everything they could to make your stay enjoyable and are very courteous and professional.
I give the management and the building 2 stars and the overall experience 4 stars. Just be aware you are not going to an upscale all inclusive. Even with all the negative issues I would go back here. Cozumel just seems more relaxed than Cancun, and after the initial shock of how cheesy this place was, I was quite comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for the new section