“Good value for all inclusive”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The good-
The staff is very friendly and egar to please. The outdoor facilities are very good. The pool is big and never very crowded, the water sports are located on property. Beach volleyball was fun, wave runners, etc. The room in the tower was clean with a great oceanview. located about 3 miles from airport and about 6 miles from town. The ocean is clear blue with plenty of fish to see while snorkling off the beach. The buffet has enough decent food to satisfy breakfast and lunch.

The bad-
Not enough beach chairs, all taken by 7am. Beach has a very rocky coast so be careful getting in and out of water. The restaurant was a nightmare, we made reservationas and ate there 3 times, took over 2 hours to complete a meal. The food was decent if you stay away from any form of beef and steak! Stick with chicken and fish and you will be ok. Our waiter Aldo did a great job. We went into town to purchase some decent tequila and vodka because after a few days of plastic bottle alcohol we need a better quality. We also enjoyed dinner in town a few times and had great meals for good prices. The pool is too cold.

Bottom line-
Good value for the buck, arrive with eyes wide open, it is an all inclusive. Beach is below average but water quality is great, crystal clear.

Room Tip: ONLY get a room in the tower
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin B
Write a ReviewReviews (5,711)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Traveled during Christmas 2012. Everything we asked for was delivered with professionalism and in true Mexican style...with a smile of course. I surprised my wife with a Wedding Vow Renewal on the beach and the staff did an amazing job! Food was average for an all inclusive and the room was huge and comfortable with beautiful Caribbean views. I would go back in a minute and I recommend this property!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Just back from two weeks at El Cozumeleno. This was our second trip, stayed at the resort over Christmas and New Year's.
First, let me say that most of the reviews of El Coz are right on. It is a good, solid 3.5 star resort. The service is great (with the exception of the bartender at the lobby bar, he's pretty unfriendly). The food is 'uneven'. Last year we raved about the ala carte restaurant and were disappointed in the buffet. This year, the reverse. The buffet food was really quite good, especially the 'live cooking' or grill. The chicken was excellent! We were disappointed in the restaurant. One meal the steak was terrific, other meals the meat was kind of tough.
The room was wonderful. We were in room 1910 (on the 9th floor), pretty close to the elevators but we never heard any noise. The bed was comfortable, view was incredible!
The pool was great, but lounge chairs hard to impossible to find. Lots of large parties over Christmas and New Year's. If you go at another time I don't think it would be such a problem.
One of the things we like best about this resort is the closeness to town. We went in several times...Sunday football at Kelly's is a must!
The lobster grill is just a 5 minute walk down the road and has great lobster kabobs and shrimp with spaghetti...yum.
All in all, we would definitely go back to El Coz. Met lots of down to earth, friendly people.
Remember you aren't paying 5 star prices, but if you want a good, clean, friendly place...this is it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisC38
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was our very first trip since our honeymoon - 25 years ago! We won't be waiting that long again! The staff was so helpful and friendly, the room was clean and had everything we'd need. The food was great. We would return again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: It's our personal preference to have a room on the upper levels since the view is so incredible...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at El Cozumeleno for 7 days over New Years. This is a really safe resort, the good is great, a lot of variety. Good service, all of the staff are very friendly and try their best to make your trip as best they can! Snorkelling was AMAZING, you can go right off the resort, there are a lot of tropical fish, we also saw a manta ray, eel, crabs, lobsters. There isn't much partying that goes on here so if your looking for nightlife I would suggest going into town, we went to senior frogs which was a really good time! We felt really safe being in town as well. Overall I would say this resort is excellent and I would recommended it to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Let me begin this review by saying that my family and I stayed at El Cozumeleno only because the hotel we were supposed to be staying in had overbooked. That being said:

Positives: This hotel is fairly close to the downtown area of Cozumel. A cab ride only costs $7. The proximity to downtown does come in handy (see below). Additionally, it does seem that the hotel makes an attempt (albeit a so-so one) to come up with activities for children, adults, and families. I did enjoy the free snorkeling. The pools are pretty nice, too.

Negatives: Pretty much everything else. I will start with the room - we were placed in the older section of the hotel. This side, at times, almost seems like a completely different hotel. It appears that El Cozumeleno uses their resources only to maintain the newer part of the hotel. Our room was moldy and smelled of mildew. I was unable to walk around or shower without shoes on. On top of that, our air conditioner did not work. It took us two days without air to finally have management move us to another room. This did not happen, however, before the repairmen removed our ceiling tiles and got mysterious ceiling "stuff" all over the floor (see pictures).

It is a good thing that this hotel is close to downtown because that is where you will go if you want to feed your family something edible. The food here is disastrous. They serve virtually the exact same things at the buffet every day. Getting a reservation at the a la carte restaurant is very difficult, and the food there is only average. At dinner, there is an additional buffet on the second floor of the restaurant. I lasted 5 minutes in there - it is set up like a large banquet room, so you have to share a large table with other people. They were, no exaggeration, blasting loud pop music, which made for a very unpleasant eating environment. And, to no surprise, they served the same old stuff that I had seen throughout the day.

The beverages are equally disgusting - if you are coming for the all-inclusive perk of having unlimited drinks, think again. Everything I ordered basically tasted the same. You'll need to order a double if you want to get any sort of a buzz. The bartenders dip the cups in dirty water and reuse them, so you aren't even drinking your mediocre beverage out of a clean glass. Be prepared to have your drink served with the taste of dirty water, soap, or sand.

Finally, while some of the more "minor" staff members (i.e. bartenders, cleaning service, etc.) do put on a friendly face, the majority of the people who work here are incredibly unhelpful and downright unpleasant. With all of the issues we encountered, no one wanted to take any responsibility for our issues. If you plan on staying at El Cozumeleno, you better hope that you have a perfect situation with no speed bumps - otherwise, do not plan on the hotel management doing anything to make your stay more enjoyable.

There are so many better options when it comes to an all-inclusive hotel in Cozumel. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing and stress free, which is not the sentiment that El Cozumeleno instilled in my family. If you are okay with overpaying for an extremely mediocre all-inclusive experience, this is the place for you. If not, stay far, far away.

4  Thank PaigeElizabeth21
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I never thought I'd be one of those people writing a negative review but after our horrible experience with the El Cozumeleno I feel I must.
We were sent to this hotel via the Occidental Grand due to overbooking (another story for another hotel!) It was a though the E.C. did everything in its power to make our stay the worst it could possibly be. I won't go into detail about the "behind the scenes" deal that was to become our new home for more than half our vacation. What I will mention was the refusal of either hotel to upgrade our room to include the amenities of what I had paid for at the Occidental. According to both hotels, I received what the O.G. was willing to compensate the E.C. for our stay.
We were put in the old section of the hotel. Upon entering our room we were overwhelmed by the smell of mildew and our shower had so much mold in it we were not able to use it without some sort of foot protection. Our air conditioner was not working and when I called to ask that someone come to check it out, no one ever came. I called again the next morning and it was determined it was broken. We were unable to use our room for the entire day because the workmen were directly across from our bathroom and there was filth and water (not to mention equipment and ceiling tiles) all over the floor. New room? Not yet, it seems. I was told there weren't any available which turned out to be a bold-faced lie because when it still was not working by bedtime, we were finally moved to another room. We were lucky - I talked to another guest who was going on day 4 without air conditioning. They were given fans!
The buffet served almost the same inedible food for each meal. To "wash" glasses at the bar, the bartenders dipped the used ones in dirty water and reused them. My son had sand and other unidentifiable floaties in his drink! I spent a lot of money taking my family out to dinner in town for all but one night we were there. We ate at the ala carte restaurant for one night. It was comparable to any chain restaurant in the states.
The most disappointing feature of this hotel was management. After reading some other reviews, there were some people who had a different experience than I, but who would want to spend thousands of dollars not knowing whether or not you will be one of those who are deemed worthy of their hospitality? When I looked around and realized the general attitude of most employees is rudeness or indifference, it was easy to conclude not only is this an awful place to stay, it must be an awful place to work, as well.

3  Thank sandnsun2014