“Great Time, Great Hotel”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Whitehall, MI
Reviewed May 5, 2004

We stayed @ El Coz 4/23-4/30. This was a "getaway" for my husband & I, with our 2 & 3 year olds at home w/grandparents. I would not hesitate to bring the kids next year (we are planning on it.) We had a great room (new section)on 7th floor: ocean view, balcony, pool view (I think all rooms are). It was always well cleaned, with enough bottled water. We tipped maid ~ 3$ per day. We never had a theft problem (I left my wallet behind on dive trips). However - there are plenty of ATM's on the island and if you leave $400 cash lying around anywhere, it is pretty irresponsible. We were in Cozumel to dive, so we really were not @ the hotel 24/7, but enjoyed the other guests & staff when there. The volleyball games are a must! Antonio at the Dive Shop was wonderful, finding us a shared charter for fishing. (Great boat & Captain!) We had 4 sailfish on, one doubleheader, one in the boat. The charters later on that week did even better. The pools are great, as is the snorkeling out front by the piers. People who complain about the beach (which was very good for Cozumel) need a geography lesson - the good beaches are always on the ocean side. (Well worth a car rental! Amazing!)) I thought the food was very good - however, I eat what is native when I travel. Great meat dishes w/beans & salsa fresca & fresh juice & fruit for breakfast, grilled chicken & guacalmole for lunch, dinner is varied every night. Sure there were birds (because people feed them) & some (actually very few) flies in the outdoor covered buffet, but if you can't expect that, perhaps you best stay indoors & away from Mexico. At the end, I had a cheeseburger & fries from the bar = pretty good. Americans may have a hard time trying to get their fill of carbs, grease & fat, which may be why the food is so degraded in these reviews!!! We thought the bar staff was cordial, especially after tips. Remember - this is Mexico. The local people average $3 US per day, (according to our divemaster, who is American living on Cozumel). This is a very poor island (US standards) and they need the tip income & unfortunately, the cruise ship income, to afford to eat. If you are a Rude American in Mexico, you will be treated exactly like a Rude American in Mexico. If you are gracious, they will reward you with their smiles & helpfulness. We have always stayed @ the Royal Islander in Cancun, and we will never be back to Cancun. For the price, this was a fantastic vacation and a chance to really get to know this amazing island.

Connecticut
Reviewed April 30, 2004

This was our third trip in arwo to Coz. Stayed at Park Royal and Reef club prior.

El Coz was superior ro either of these properties in quality and experience. We stayed with our kids, 8 and 11, from 4-14 to 4-21. Learned while there that the week of the 14th was one of the busiest; by the time we left the hotel was much less crowded.

The food was good, a bit repetitive, but you need to understand it's buffet food and not 5 star gourmet food. It fit the bill. Breakfast was great, and the fajitas for lunch were good too. The trick with the guacamole is to walk down to the pool bar and mix in some salsa to spice it up.

Drinks were good, no complaints about water-downed. If you are a rum drinker, ask for Anej'o and coke...8 yr old Bacardi bottled in Mexico.

Fresh bottled water in clean rooms every day. Friendly staff. Beach was fine, but I did not go in much as sea thimbles (small thimble sized jellyfish) were in. They are present from April to June in most parts of the Caribbean; I have a sensitivity to them that I won't bore you with.

We met some great people and had a good time.

Regarding the Watersports, the on site shop, Ocean Tours is great to deal with. See my man Antonio, he set me up with good diving far a few days with Scuba -Do, a half day fishing charter with a couple of good size Mahi to show for it, and a fun trip on the banana boat. You really don't need to look elsewhere, this is a great shop. The charter fishing boat is new and comfortable. One piece of advise, if you catch a good fish, don't get tempted to have it go to the taxidermist...Tony had indicated it really isn't a good idea, I did not listen, and long story short, the operation used is a shop out of Floriday that has a horrible reputation of add on costs for shipping, crating, handling costs, service charges...etc. I'm out a deposit of $575. That's my error and I'll learn from it. Maybe Tony can get me a discount fishing next time.........

Regarding the other threads and complaints about child proof locks, and room entry with babies in a room, come on people, get a life. This is mexico. Take precautions. Watch your kid. Ask for a first floor room. By all means, don't leave a baby and 2 yr old unattended in a hotel room anywhere! If you do, you deserve the worst. It's a shame people have to knock a decent property for their own numb-minding carelessness or expectations.

We will be going back to the El Coz, no doubt. Next time a little later, after the thimbles, and after I drop the 5 lbs I gained while there! Seriously, taking the viewpoint of a "realistic" trevelor, this is a nice property.

Oh yes, one last thing....don't make yourself nuts trying to get into the sit down restaraunt...it's only so-so. That's about the only real thing that could stand some improvement.

Houston, TX
Reviewed April 26, 2004

My sister and I had our annual "sister vacation", and decided on Cozumel (April 22 - 26, 2004). We did alot of browsing on where to stay. We have stayed in Cancun, and also Playa in the past. I believe we both decided that Cozumel was far better a place to stay than any. Everything is in close proximity to the airport, and the island is beautiful. The staff at El Cozumeleno was wonderful, the activities (especially the daily BINGO, even though we never won) were fun, the food was tremendous, the disco(?) kareoke bar was alot of fun, and the themed dinners were imaginative. The rooms were clean, cool, and ours had a great view of not only the pool area, but also the ocean. It was breathtaking and so relaxing. I would say that this hotel should be proud in being so kind, warm, and welcoming to visitors.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glenwood, New Jersey
Reviewed April 26, 2004

I read all great reviews on El Cozumeleno that is why my husband and I chose to go there. We arrived on April 17th and left the 22nd. I was disappointed after reading so many great reviews. The hotel was nice, the room was clean. In side the hotel could have been cleaner. Dirt all over the stairs. Never cleaned the whole time we were there. The check in people were not overly friendly. The food was not that great at all. There are birds that fly all around the food. Don’t leave a plate of food on the table and walk away from it and come back and eat from that plate. The service was not great. It took at least 10 minutes for a waiter to come and see if you wanted a drink. Most of the time we had to go get our own drinks. The waiters did not talk much to you. The beach was small. A lot of rock. A lot of tiny jelly fish in the water. I don’t know if they are in the water all the time or just certain times of the year. Not much entertainment at all. One night out the 5 they had dancers on stage. In the hotel they didn’t have any pay phones so you could use a AT+T calling card. You could use your calling card from the hotel room but you were charged $5 each time you picked up the phone. Then you could use the calling card. If you do not have a calling card you are charged $5 a minute. You buy a calling card to go to a place like this so you won’t have a phone charge. I made 5 calls out and was charged $25 just to pick up the phone. In the shopping center they have phones you can use if you take a AT+T calling card with you. Use the ones that say telmex on them. We rented a car and drove around the whole island. 35 mile round trip. If you do go to Cozumel I recommend renting a car. It is worth it to see the whole island. That is about the only thing I enjoyed out of my vacation in Cozumel. I have been to Cancun Palace twice in Cancun, Cancun is a much nicer place to take a vacation to. If you want beautiful beaches, great hotels, great entertainment EVERY night, and GREAT people go to Cancun. Every one has there own opinions on where they have been. This place was just OK for me. I would not go back to this island, once is enough for me.

Reviewed April 25, 2004

I will NEVER stay here again! The hotel grounds are nice and cleanl, but to make a long story short, they do not care about the security of their guests.We arrived on Sat. April 17 and on the Monday, another guest opened our room with their room key while our kids (8 mos. and 4 yrs.) were napping. It was by mistake and they were shocked that this happened as well. So we complained to the manager who said it was okay because this hotel is safe!We asked them to come up and the manager on duty Cesar was very rude and told us we had to prove this happened. So we did. We found the other guests and they were kind enough to open our room with their key. Cesar still didn't think it was a big deal and the othe manager said that because the room keys are old, this could happen.We feel this is totally unacceptable that anybody can open your room with their key! So we asked for a meeting with Mr. Huertas, the general manager (Hitler Huertas as we call him) who was due to come back on the Thursday at 9 am and asked Cesar for an incident report by 5 pm the next day.Of course, on Tuesday and Wednesady he did not have the report and said he didn't have time to do it. SO I spent 2 days in my room mostly cause we only had one key since they took their time making a copy for us.This is the real doozy....on Thursday morning Hitler Huertas comes in and asks us " what do you want?" No introduction or anything!My husband asks how this could happen. he says he doesn't know. I ask is this acceptable, he says no. My husband then says this is a breach of security and we do not feel safe. Then he gets up from 10 feet away and puts his face 1/2 foot away from my husband's, WHILE MY HUSBAND IS HOLDING THE BABY, and screams really loud "This is Mexico, don't get smart with me!" and leaves.I was appaled, shaken and very upset that my little baby was subjected to that. Thank goodness my son was at the kids club for this. I am so disgusted by this. We left for another hotel right away.So if you feel safety is a big issue for you when travelling and don't want to be treated like an animal, please don't stay here!

4  Thank MinniBrooklin
Reviewed April 25, 2004

My husband and I just visited Cozumeleno April 18-25. We had stayed at another resort the last 2 times we visited Cozumel, but this was far the best place to stay. We had a great time. If you didn't have a good time it was probably your own fault. The food was great, especially the nachos and salsa. The service was wonderful. The staff was very helpful. They were always happy and trying to make your stay as comfortable as ever. I never had anyone working there be rude or steal anything. This is a good job for them why would they ruin it by stealing from the tourists. We tipped the maid everyday and would try to be pleasant to everyone around. I found I would rather trust them then the American tourist. I saw the tourist be rude to the staff. Remember we are in their country. If they can't understand you or you can't understand them thats just the way it is. Learn the language if you don't like it.
The snorkeling was wonderful. I suggest taking the snorkel tour with the staff. Get to know the staff. Do the daily activities. We had a lot of fun, even though Tony worked us hard with water aerobics.
Maggie was wonderful with the snorkel tour.
Overall we had a wonderful visit and plan on going back again next year to Cozumeleno. I have been home for 1 day and already miss everyone.

5  Thank kkfaraway
Reviewed April 23, 2004

Just returned from Cozumel and a 5 night stay at El Cozumeleno hotel. I read lots of different revews before we left but I have to say that everything at this hotel was top notch. It is all inclusive but we left small tips for everything and they were appreciated. The staff was fantastic, place clean, food great especially in the reservations only restaurant. The drinks, anything you could think of, were really well made and as strong as you want them. We had a room on the 7th floor with a fantastic view of the pool and ocean. The beds were firm but not as bad as some folks described them in reviews. I slept well! Most guests were great but there were a few inconsiderate hogs that claimed pool and beach chairs all day long and only used them for a few hours. You will have people like that anywhere!
All in all I can't say enough good things about this hotel and I can't wait to go back. The entire island and the residents were great!

• Stayed: February 2004