“El Coz was great”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
“El Coz was great”
Reviewed April 30, 2004

This was our third trip in arwo to Coz. Stayed at Park Royal and Reef club prior.

El Coz was superior ro either of these properties in quality and experience. We stayed with our kids, 8 and 11, from 4-14 to 4-21. Learned while there that the week of the 14th was one of the busiest; by the time we left the hotel was much less crowded.

The food was good, a bit repetitive, but you need to understand it's buffet food and not 5 star gourmet food. It fit the bill. Breakfast was great, and the fajitas for lunch were good too. The trick with the guacamole is to walk down to the pool bar and mix in some salsa to spice it up.

Drinks were good, no complaints about water-downed. If you are a rum drinker, ask for Anej'o and coke...8 yr old Bacardi bottled in Mexico.

Fresh bottled water in clean rooms every day. Friendly staff. Beach was fine, but I did not go in much as sea thimbles (small thimble sized jellyfish) were in. They are present from April to June in most parts of the Caribbean; I have a sensitivity to them that I won't bore you with.

We met some great people and had a good time.

Regarding the Watersports, the on site shop, Ocean Tours is great to deal with. See my man Antonio, he set me up with good diving far a few days with Scuba -Do, a half day fishing charter with a couple of good size Mahi to show for it, and a fun trip on the banana boat. You really don't need to look elsewhere, this is a great shop. The charter fishing boat is new and comfortable. One piece of advise, if you catch a good fish, don't get tempted to have it go to the taxidermist...Tony had indicated it really isn't a good idea, I did not listen, and long story short, the operation used is a shop out of Floriday that has a horrible reputation of add on costs for shipping, crating, handling costs, service charges...etc. I'm out a deposit of $575. That's my error and I'll learn from it. Maybe Tony can get me a discount fishing next time.........

Regarding the other threads and complaints about child proof locks, and room entry with babies in a room, come on people, get a life. This is mexico. Take precautions. Watch your kid. Ask for a first floor room. By all means, don't leave a baby and 2 yr old unattended in a hotel room anywhere! If you do, you deserve the worst. It's a shame people have to knock a decent property for their own numb-minding carelessness or expectations.

We will be going back to the El Coz, no doubt. Next time a little later, after the thimbles, and after I drop the 5 lbs I gained while there! Seriously, taking the viewpoint of a "realistic" trevelor, this is a nice property.

Oh yes, one last thing....don't make yourself nuts trying to get into the sit down restaraunt...it's only so-so. That's about the only real thing that could stand some improvement.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,590)
Reviewed April 26, 2004

My sister and I had our annual "sister vacation", and decided on Cozumel (April 22 - 26, 2004). We did alot of browsing on where to stay. We have stayed in Cancun, and also Playa in the past. I believe we both decided that Cozumel was far better a place to stay than any. Everything is in close proximity to the airport, and the island is beautiful. The staff at El Cozumeleno was wonderful, the activities (especially the daily BINGO, even though we never won) were fun, the food was tremendous, the disco(?) kareoke bar was alot of fun, and the themed dinners were imaginative. The rooms were clean, cool, and ours had a great view of not only the pool area, but also the ocean. It was breathtaking and so relaxing. I would say that this hotel should be proud in being so kind, warm, and welcoming to visitors.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 26, 2004

I read all great reviews on El Cozumeleno that is why my husband and I chose to go there. We arrived on April 17th and left the 22nd. I was disappointed after reading so many great reviews. The hotel was nice, the room was clean. In side the hotel could have been cleaner. Dirt all over the stairs. Never cleaned the whole time we were there. The check in people were not overly friendly. The food was not that great at all. There are birds that fly all around the food. Don’t leave a plate of food on the table and walk away from it and come back and eat from that plate. The service was not great. It took at least 10 minutes for a waiter to come and see if you wanted a drink. Most of the time we had to go get our own drinks. The waiters did not talk much to you. The beach was small. A lot of rock. A lot of tiny jelly fish in the water. I don’t know if they are in the water all the time or just certain times of the year. Not much entertainment at all. One night out the 5 they had dancers on stage. In the hotel they didn’t have any pay phones so you could use a AT+T calling card. You could use your calling card from the hotel room but you were charged $5 each time you picked up the phone. Then you could use the calling card. If you do not have a calling card you are charged $5 a minute. You buy a calling card to go to a place like this so you won’t have a phone charge. I made 5 calls out and was charged $25 just to pick up the phone. In the shopping center they have phones you can use if you take a AT+T calling card with you. Use the ones that say telmex on them. We rented a car and drove around the whole island. 35 mile round trip. If you do go to Cozumel I recommend renting a car. It is worth it to see the whole island. That is about the only thing I enjoyed out of my vacation in Cozumel. I have been to Cancun Palace twice in Cancun, Cancun is a much nicer place to take a vacation to. If you want beautiful beaches, great hotels, great entertainment EVERY night, and GREAT people go to Cancun. Every one has there own opinions on where they have been. This place was just OK for me. I would not go back to this island, once is enough for me.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2004

I will NEVER stay here again! The hotel grounds are nice and cleanl, but to make a long story short, they do not care about the security of their guests.We arrived on Sat. April 17 and on the Monday, another guest opened our room with their room key while our kids (8 mos. and 4 yrs.) were napping. It was by mistake and they were shocked that this happened as well. So we complained to the manager who said it was okay because this hotel is safe!We asked them to come up and the manager on duty Cesar was very rude and told us we had to prove this happened. So we did. We found the other guests and they were kind enough to open our room with their key. Cesar still didn't think it was a big deal and the othe manager said that because the room keys are old, this could happen.We feel this is totally unacceptable that anybody can open your room with their key! So we asked for a meeting with Mr. Huertas, the general manager (Hitler Huertas as we call him) who was due to come back on the Thursday at 9 am and asked Cesar for an incident report by 5 pm the next day.Of course, on Tuesday and Wednesady he did not have the report and said he didn't have time to do it. SO I spent 2 days in my room mostly cause we only had one key since they took their time making a copy for us.This is the real doozy....on Thursday morning Hitler Huertas comes in and asks us " what do you want?" No introduction or anything!My husband asks how this could happen. he says he doesn't know. I ask is this acceptable, he says no. My husband then says this is a breach of security and we do not feel safe. Then he gets up from 10 feet away and puts his face 1/2 foot away from my husband's, WHILE MY HUSBAND IS HOLDING THE BABY, and screams really loud "This is Mexico, don't get smart with me!" and leaves.I was appaled, shaken and very upset that my little baby was subjected to that. Thank goodness my son was at the kids club for this. I am so disgusted by this. We left for another hotel right away.So if you feel safety is a big issue for you when travelling and don't want to be treated like an animal, please don't stay here!

4 Thank MinniBrooklin
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed April 25, 2004

My husband and I just visited Cozumeleno April 18-25. We had stayed at another resort the last 2 times we visited Cozumel, but this was far the best place to stay. We had a great time. If you didn't have a good time it was probably your own fault. The food was great, especially the nachos and salsa. The service was wonderful. The staff was very helpful. They were always happy and trying to make your stay as comfortable as ever. I never had anyone working there be rude or steal anything. This is a good job for them why would they ruin it by stealing from the tourists. We tipped the maid everyday and would try to be pleasant to everyone around. I found I would rather trust them then the American tourist. I saw the tourist be rude to the staff. Remember we are in their country. If they can't understand you or you can't understand them thats just the way it is. Learn the language if you don't like it.
The snorkeling was wonderful. I suggest taking the snorkel tour with the staff. Get to know the staff. Do the daily activities. We had a lot of fun, even though Tony worked us hard with water aerobics.
Maggie was wonderful with the snorkel tour.
Overall we had a wonderful visit and plan on going back again next year to Cozumeleno. I have been home for 1 day and already miss everyone.

5 Thank kkfaraway
Charleston,SC
Reviewed April 23, 2004

Just returned from Cozumel and a 5 night stay at El Cozumeleno hotel. I read lots of different revews before we left but I have to say that everything at this hotel was top notch. It is all inclusive but we left small tips for everything and they were appreciated. The staff was fantastic, place clean, food great especially in the reservations only restaurant. The drinks, anything you could think of, were really well made and as strong as you want them. We had a room on the 7th floor with a fantastic view of the pool and ocean. The beds were firm but not as bad as some folks described them in reviews. I slept well! Most guests were great but there were a few inconsiderate hogs that claimed pool and beach chairs all day long and only used them for a few hours. You will have people like that anywhere!
All in all I can't say enough good things about this hotel and I can't wait to go back. The entire island and the residents were great!

• Stayed February 2004
Reviewed April 23, 2004

My husband and I chose to stay at the Cozumeleno after close friends recommended the hotel. It was our first trip to Cozumel and we were in heaven from the moment we stepped off the airplane. Our friends warned us the food wasn't great, but it was edible. (*A little tip:* There are so many birds flying around the outdoor restuarant areas, always take a plate from underneath the top one just in case.) We wanted to try out the authentic restaurants in town anyway, so we just planned to eat dinner in town each night. The resort is beautiful. We stayed at the Coz in July of 2002 and have been longing to return ever since. I highly recommend requesting an ocean-view room in the older section of the hotel. The room was huge and the view was absolutely breathtaking, not to mention it was very quiet and peaceful. Our balcony was so spacious and we enjoyed looking up at the stars every night. If you love to snorkel, this is the place for you. There are tons of fish and other sea creatures to view from the area right in front of the hotel. TAKE AN UNDERWATER CAMERA WITH YOU - it is so much fun to take pictures of all the creatures underwater and the water is so clear, blue and beautiful. If you are feeling adventurous, try a snorkel tour. We booked a tour through the hotel on a glass-bottom boat. The "glass-bottom" was far from clear, but what the boat lacked in luxury the guide made up for with knowledge and service. When booking a deep sea fishing trip, BE CAREFUL!!! We booked ours through Adventure Tours (our package representatives) and were very disappointed. We were assured the fish were biting and we would catch something spectacular. WRONG!! While I understand the guides can't predict when and where the fish will bite, I still would have liked to catch something bigger than my shoe. Our boat was very old and we became nauseated after breathing in gasoline fumes for many hours. You should probably invest in those special wristbands to help prevent motion sickness, bring some Pepto Bismol with you just in case and pack a few snacks and maybe an extra bottle of water. Don't make the mistake of buying a six pack to drink on the boat, you will be sorry. We spent all day on the water and only caught two small barracuda. The next day, another (brand new) fishing boat pulled up to the pier and they had a boat full of HUGE FISH, mahi-mahi and others. Make sure you book a trip on a NEW BOAT in relatively good condition. Ask around and see who has been fishing around the hotel. Don't feel pressured to book your trip through the hotel or your package representatives. Another thing to keep in mind when deciding on where to stay is the Cozumeleno is very close to town, walking distance, in fact. My husband and I walked into town for dinner and after dark took a taxi back to the hotel for around $5USD. In town, beware of the cruise ships arriving. From what I remember they come into town around noon and are docked for a few hours. The ships bring tons of people and the shops, restaurants, etc. can become very crowded. When shopping, don't be afraid to barter with the vendors. Another thing to keep in mind is your wristband. All the salesperson has to do is look at your wrist and know you are a vulnerable tourist. In the evenings, when we were shopping, I tried to wear a lightweight sweater to hide my wristband as they cannot be removed until you leave the resort. This wasn't a big deal to me, but it is definitely something to keep in mind if you find yourself lost in town or trying to get a lower price when shopping. Restaurants in town? LA CHOZA. We ate there almost every night for dinner (I know, sounds boring right? The food was great, we didn't get sick, the service was excellent, they had a trio that sang to us every night - it was great!!!) Carlos & Charlies? Just buy a shirt, hat, whatever and save your money to eat somewhere else. At night, Carlos & Charlie's is a fun place to be - big drinks, crazy people, wild, wild, wild. Beware of the shots - if you've been there, you know what I mean and if you haven't, beware of the whistle and the crazy waitresses! I had lunch with my husband on my birthday at Charlie's and it was fun, however the food was average and expensive (think Hard Rock Cafe in the USA). That night, we ate at La Choza and were serenaded by our favorite trio. Guido's is okay, a little pricey, but the pizzas were fresh and had interesting ingredients. If you love seafood, be sure to ask about "catch of the day specials." La Cabana del Pescador is a restaurant highly recommended in all the travel guides and books we bought prior to our trip. They only serve fresh lobsert with vegetables & rice, but I thought it was really good. My husband didn't like this restaurant because you chose your own lobster tail, it was in a very unique building and the lighting was a little dim. However, I loved the food. We rented a scooter and toured the island. We wanted to see the other resorts. We knew someone who stayed at the Allegro and loved it, so we wanted to check it out. The Allegro is very beautiful. The food was a little better there (we actually were invited to eat breakfast - but we also had to endure a painful timeshare presentation). You have to remember you are several miles from town if you choose to stay out at one of the higher rated resorts. You may have food that is a little tastier, but you will pay more to go into town and you will probably pay more to stay at one of these resorts. If you want to stay at the resort and don't wish to venture into town or around the island, then I would highly recommend the Allegro. There are so many shops scattered about around the island. While on our scooter tour we stopped along the way to buy hats, t-shirts, etc that were quite a bit cheaper than in town. It is a very beautiful drive around the island and takes about an hour to go all the way around depending on how often you stop. Even though it is Mexico, we only used US dollars. Our travel agent and friends both recommended bringing a bunch of dollar bills and cash. Tip around the hotel and you will be grateful you did. You don't have to tip a lot, a buck or two here or there, but it does make a difference. Remember there are a lot of people who are working just for tips and are being paid very low wages, no matter what you may have paid for your vacation. Try to budget a few bucks a day for tips at the hotel into your entire package. I know it is dangerous to carry cash, especially when you are tourist on vacation, we were so glad we only brought a few Traveler's Checks. Bring a STACK of DOLLAR BILLS WITH YOU!!!!! After reading the previous reviews I am longing to hop on a plane and go back to Cozumel. This was the best vacation I've ever been on, so relaxing, lots of fun things to do, a very casual, laid-back atmosphere. It was really nice to stay close to the town, I think it gives you more options. I think the best way to think about a vacation in Cozumel and at this resort is to ask yourself what you expect to get out of the hotel and activities. This isn't a spa resort. You aren't going to receive gourmet meals. Don't expect 5 star service because this is not a 5 star hotel. I felt they treated us with respect and provided excellent service, but everyone has different expectations. If you have a family, I think this is probably one of your best bets if you want to stay on the island. We had a week package and by the end of the week we were getting tired. (We were recovering from wedding stress, so we were actually exhausted when we arrived). Some of the friends we made at the hotel were only staying 4 nights and if you want a quick vacation, they felt it was perfect. We however were on our honeymoon and wanted a few extra days. We made a promise to each other our next vacation would include a different destination, maybe even a cruise. I just keep coming back to the Cozumeleno. I know there are probably places just as beautiful and a little cheaper... I've heard great things about South America, but I think Cozumel and the El Cozumeleno are going to be hard to beat. I hope you enjoy your stay in Cozumel and don't forget to learn a few Spanish phrases (learn them well) to "impress" your waiters and always say, "Gracias" (thank you) and "De Nada" (you're welcome).

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member