“Relaxing vacation”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a relaxing 13 day stay at El Coz. We stayed on the second floor with a gorgeous view of the pool, garden and ocean. The room was very spacious, but it could benefit from a dehumidifier as the bed, floor, bedding and our clothing was always slightly damp. I realize this is a humid climate and this could help with the moisture problem. We found the staff to be very attentive and friendly, especially Salvador, the head waiter at the La Verenda restaurant. (Hey Salvador!) Speaking of restaurants, the food was fine. There were some meals that were very good, and some that were just ok with many somewhere in the middle. Potatoes in any form and desserts could definitely use improvement. Desserts were beautifully presented but lacked any flavor.

The grounds, pools and beach were beautiful, and the very best thing is that you can snorkel right from the beach. They have two piers that make a large cove perfect for snorkeling, whatever your ability. There is no reef, but a number of rocks and nooks and crannies along the piers where the fish hang out. They have a lot of marine life and every day we saw at least one unique thing. This alone makes this resort a destination if you want to snorkel without taking an excursion. Bring your own snorkel gear so you can snorkel on your own schedule. Also if you plan to spend a lot of time under the palapas, the lounge chairs are worn out and uncomfortable. Based on previous reviewers suggestions, we brought our own air mattresses, partially inflated them, laid them on the chair, covered them with the large beach towels the hotel provided and Voila`! Hours of comfortable lounging was ours.

There were many more positives than negatives about our stay at The El Cozumeleno. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Second floor and above. The first floor balconies do not afford any privacy from other guests walki...
2  Thank Lauralee R
Write a ReviewReviews (5,756)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Wonderful service, everyone is so polite and helpful!! Beautiful view from the ocean view rooms. Wonderful place to be for a honeymoon!! :) Food is wonderful but needs more selection especially if your staying longer. Wonderful food and drinks!!

Room Tip: Must do an Ocean view room!!
2  Thank Scuba_Bob456
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I would first like to say that I had a great time Labor day week at El Coz. Even though the weather was not the greatest at the beginning of the week, still fun. This was my 10th trip to this resort. I have seen every possible scenario a vacation can have here. One thing to keep in mind is your vacation is what you make of it. I will agree the food on this trip was much to be desired. There were no buffets, just menu ordering. This is not my first trip where it has been menu only. I have learned to get around the limited choices. Now I could just go on and bash the resort or I could ask for alternatives. On the lunch menu top left there is a message that says if you don't see what you want, ask and they will do their best to accommodate. I only ate off the menu twice all week. The rest of the time I asked for what I wanted and room service. To give an example, there are not onion rings on the menu. I asked my waiter Jorge if I could get some. He went and asked in the kitchen. He said it would take a bit because they would have to make them. One lunch all I wanted was pork tacos, got those as well. Don't be afraid to order off menu. Sometimes you get lucky and get shrimp fajitas.
Here is a big tip on the room. Email the resort at least 5 days before you get there and ask for egg crate on the bed. Yes, the beds are hard, but here is an alternative to the back ache. If you need extra water during your stay, write the maid a note asking for some you will get more. I have never had an issue with that.
Thanks to all for a great week: Francisco, Martha, Salvador, Aldo, Fernando, Mateo, Louis, Jorge, Manuel, Lourdes, David, and Aaron.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the south tower. Anything above the third floor has a great view of the ocean.
8  Thank Butch65
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had a wonderful time at El Cozumeleno!! The staff was friendly and very helpful. There was always a new selection of food on their menu, and great entertainment each night. We loved that there were so many pools so that you were spread out. They had many activities. We would recommend this resort to anyone.

We traveled in September, fearing the rain season, but it ended up raining mostly in the evenings, and it was always a romantic rain. The weather was phenomenal, making it possible to carry about our days with no problems, even in the rain.

The rooms were cleaned each day, and very roomy.

When snorkeling, the fish were beautiful, and came up to us with no problems.

We can't say enough what a wonderful time we had!!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. We had the last room in the hall on the 5th floor, and had a gorgeous view...
2  Thank AmberAndLanceHunter
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was our second stay here, and it was as amazing as the last. Both times have been amazing! (despite the tropical storms) The staff was wonderful and very attentive. The food was fantastic. Our rooms were spacious and well maintained. You will not go wrong staying here. We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the best with an amazing view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Natalielou
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is our second year in a row to stay here. Each year we come with our friends.. Every time it has been amazing! The staff is wonderful. They go out of their way to make your stay better then you expected. Our waiter Aaron, was extremely attentive and was always there to take care of us regardless if we were at the pool or on the beach. The snorkeling at the resort is out of this world. The food was fantastic. Our rooms were spacious and well maintained. You will not go wrong staying here. We will be going every year!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank AlfredCo
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at El Coz Sept. 13-16. It was my first trip to Cozumel and I was a woman traveling solo in a foreign country. So I wanted something all-inclusive, safe and convenient. I booked my trip through AAA.

The property feels a lot bigger than it is, partly because it was so empty (this is the "low season").

My room - 1703, on the 7th floor, an ocean-front room - was big and spotless, and the king sized mattress was very comfortable.

This time of year there is no problem getting a good spot on the beach or grabbing a hammock.

Service was excellent on all fronts. The food was fine, if somewhat repetitive (one night at the buffet I ordered from a separate menu and I had delicious fish). Breakfast was the best meal. For more ambience, couples may want to make dinner reservations at La Veranda restaurant (I did not eat there).

Drinks are a bit weak ... A tip: if you actually want to taste the alcohol, ask for a "double" of whatever it is.

The front desk was very helpful and getting a taxi is no problem, there are always a couple outside of the property.

LOTS of activities for children.

I heard that snorkeling was good but I opted for snorkeling as part of an outside tour.

The location is good if you want to go downtown or to the pier. It costs $8 or 8 pesos (pay in pesos, it's cheaper) and takes less than 15 minutes.

Tips in US dollars are welcome and appreciated.

If you want to come and unwind for a few days El Coz is a good alternative ... but if you want a bit more luxury, this isn't the place for you. My three-night stay before heading down to Tulum was the perfect length of time.

• Stayed: September 2013