“Wonderful Place”

Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Mérida, Yucatan, Mexico
“Wonderful Place”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

we greatly enjoyed our stay at the cozumeleño. The food was pretty good and everyone so kind.
It´s very safe for my daughters to go wherever they like... that´s so refreshing here in Mexico; to be with my husband, while my daughters enjoy their time alone too. The hotel has a beautiful ocean view and wonderful snorkeling sites. They have a sunken chac-mool that my daughter excitedly found. Maybe, if it´s possible, the mattresses could be changed. Ours were a little old. But, really I shouldn´t complain of this, because it was all so wonderful. Thanks for all your staff´s attention and kindness.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,607)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful 4 night gluttonous R&R stay. Plenty of very good to excellent food, and the staff was very friendly and attentive. Free, excellent snorkling was right there, and the activities staff was very helpful and fun. Nice Resort Pool and swim-up bar, as well as a peaceful shaded area on the sand. Limited connectivity, but unlimited Food, Drink and Fun :) Also, the Lobster House restaurant, which was a 5 minute walk from the Resort, was excellent.

Room Tip: We initially had a room next to a crying baby, so before we unpacked we requested a different room a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Everything about this place is top notch! Food, pool, activities, families, etc. all great. The only negative, is if you are a diver, it is a very long boat ride to the reefs ~2 hours each way. Get a car drive south and have a boat pick you up down there, if you stay here! Despite being a diver, I would stay here again. Location took a ding (Below) only because of the boat ride. If you are not divers, it is actually a great location for getting to town and the airport!

Room Tip: New building is awesome! Upper floors are best.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The positives: the staff are super sweet, accommodating and friendly. The pool area is well maintained and well designed.

The negatives:
Food: bad to very bad (although no one in our group got sick) The best food of the week was the Mexican Fiesta heritage night. It was good. Stick to the Mexican food and the grilled fish. Don't try any "American" foods, they were terrible. I thought there would at least be good chips and salsa and guacamole, but no mas! No spice in anything. Bring your own Tapatio to get any kind of flavor going. Sad, because I think they are close to having decent food. I noticed that the buffet was always well stocked and had proper food storage with ice below, etc. (And trust me, I was looking for infractions because of the taste!)

Rooms: we stayed in the "new" section, which is hard to believe. The whole place is TIRED. The furniture is worn and outdated, the comforters on the beds and towels look like they are literally 30 years old. The towels are so thin you need two. The beach towels are a little better but still old.

Pool: it seems like this is where they spend most of their energy. It's a great pool. But the chairs need to be replaced and they need new towels.

Restaurants: they need new napkins. Literally the smallest, thinnest napkins I've ever seen.

Alcohol: there is no Top Shelf option. There is no brand name option. Drinks were pretty weak so I stuck with Dos Eqis.

Gym: an abomination. Please clear out all that equipment, you're going to injure or mame someone. This equipment was rusty and old and didn't work. Plus no AC in the gym which means I lasted about 20 minutes in the July heat. You'd be better off with an open room, mats, 3 physio balls, a few bands, free weights and a TV. Get rid of that equipment!!!!

This place was exceptionally inexpensive so I guess you get what you pay for. But it was not a place I would ever go again. (Unless someone dumped some serious cash into it!)

1 Thank sfebtraveler
West Fork, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

First time in Cozumel. We had a group of 3 couples. We booked the trip in February & stayed 6 nights 7/14 - 7/20/2013. We saw a facebook post around May that offered a free upgrade to an ocean view room. It said to call an 800 #, but we were unable to get through after several attempts. Upon check-in, we asked the woman helping us about the upgrade & were told we could upgrade to an ocean view room with a daily stocked mini fridge for $15 per night per couple. An extra $90 per couple for the whole 6 nights didn't seem too bad so we agreed & asked for the upgrade. We were given our keys & directed to our rooms. They were not ocean view & did not have a mini fridge. One couple was given a room with 2 double beds instead of a king. We immediately went down to the front desk to address the issues. We spoke to a manager (I wish I could remember his name) who was very unfriendly & rude. He said the upgrade for just the mini fridge would be $10 per person per night & for the ocean view would be $20 per person per night. Neither of those amounts were what we were told 10 minutes before. We asked about the facebook offer & were told they never do free upgrades. Plus, the ocean view is considered to be from like the 4th floor up...we were expecting to be closer to the beach, not just higher up. We declined the upgrades & asked about the room with the double beds since we booked 3 king rooms. We were told that we requested king rooms but they were not guaranteed & that a room would be available the next day. We asked if that one couple could at least be upgraded for free for the one night due to the mix-up & were told only if they paid the upgrade fees. Very disappointing. The rooms we had, once the one couple was able to move after the first night, were ok but nothing spectacular. The food was just ok. It was the same every day which gets old after a couple days. The restaurant is ok if you go for breakfast or lunch because there is no dress code, the doors are open, & the heat was tolerable in shorts, swim suits, etc. There is a very long wait for breakfast, lunch & dinner in the restaurant and for room service. We ordered room service for 2 one morning @ 7am & didn't get our breakfast until after 8:15am. I then ordered a sandwich for lunch the next day & it took 45 minutes. Eating in the restaurant for dinner was miserable. The wait was so long, food was just ok, & they shut all the doors for dinner with a poor excuse for air conditioning. There is a dress code for dinner & men have to wear long pants...I wore an above the knee dress & was melting, so I felt really bad for the guys in their pants. I went to the gym & was disappointed in the selection they had in machines...just a couple bikes, treadmills, & few weight machines. I was hoping for an elliptical, but from a previous review I read that the none of the machines worked anyways. The managers walk around with horrible looks on their faces. They seem mean, unhappy & very unapproachable. Now for the positives! The staff is absolutely amazing. Everyone under management level & apart from the daytime front desk was wonderful. They are so nice & the service is great. The pools are nice. The hot tubs could be a little warmer. We enjoyed playing miniature golf. There were many activities available to participate in throughout the day with the staff. I actually wished we were there more during the days to experience them. We went on several excursions & were helped by Fernando on booking them. He was so helpful with choosing where to go & what to do to prepare. He greeted us every time we saw him in the lobby & made sure to ask how our trips went. We enjoyed the karaoke bar...just wish it were open a little longer than 2 hours. It would be great if it opened at 10pm instead of 11pm. The drink choices were good. They would make pretty much any cocktail you asked for. They weren't always consistent from bartender to bartender, but they were still good. I wouldn't be opposed to staying again, but most likely will choose a resort a little closer to town for our next trip to Cozumel to avoid the higher taxi fees.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel was a total disappointment, food was the worst ever their drinks looked like they were threatened with alcohol because they tasted like they none! Room key and room safe key was a bit annoying. I mean this is the 21st century and they still them on string! I've been to Cozumel many times before and never stay at a bad hotel until I stayed here!

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Alfredo C
Dallas
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the resort. It's mentioned that there is nightly entertainment, however, 4 out of 7 nights the entertainment was a children's DVD movie, so adults were [--]. The other 3 nights there was a Mexican show, a casino night, and an evening buffet served on the beach with a very good live band. The band also played on Friday at the activities pool. At the breakfast buffet, the bacon is hidden behind the grill with the omelet station, but you can ask the waiter to bring it to you if the egg line is too long. The ice cream machine was out of order more often than not, and we could only find one or two tv channels that were in English. No alarm clocks in the rooms. The grounds were very well maintained, and the rooms were very clean and roomy; and didn't smell (moldy) at all. We snorkeled right off the beach, and there were many different kinds of fish to be seen; the water was very clear. The Veranda restaurant was very good, with a good variety of dishes, and a very good piano player.