El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Secrets Aura Cozumel(Cozumel)
$324
$207
  • Breakfast included
Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
$62
$60
  • Breakfast included
Casa Mexicana Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
$92
$239
Allegro Cozumel(Cozumel)
$154
$127
  • Pool
Hotel Cozumel and Resort(Cozumel)
$143
$80
$169
$113
Melia.com
$240
$177
  • Breakfast included
El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
$99
  • Pool
$215
5,932 results
All reviewsnorth towerfishla verandanew towerindoor restaurantorder off the menupiano playerreservation restaurantsit down restaurantfancy restauranta la carte restaurantfajitasocean viewmake reservationsbuffet foodthe furydive shop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The stay was great, happy with everything but the beach. If you want to have a relaxing beach experience, go somewhere else. The first 40 people who get up at 5 am to mark comfortable tiki/hut/ and lounge chairs have a great beach experience. All the rest of the guests have an uncomfortable over crowded beach experience with horrible lawn furniture. But the el coz is a good value otherwise

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Our group of 21 just returned last week from a week long stay at El Coz. The large group coordinater(Elizabeth) helped coordinate our group and was amazing. Such a kind person and so easy to work with. We liked her so much we told her she should come visit us in the states. She set up a dinner for our group the second night in the resturaunt. We had some birthdays so she made sure they all got a special desert. We ate at 9:00 p.m. and I could'nt believe Elizabeth stayed late just to make sure everything went okay. Our room was on the 9th floor and the view was perfect. We paid for a refridgerator in the room, but in hind sight we really did'nt need it. They fill it with all soda and 4 beers daily. Email the resort ahead of time to discuss getting a room in the north tower at one of the higher floors. There is a nice golf course across the street that we did play. We paid $99 that included clubs and a cart for 18 holes. The pool is cold so not many went in, but the hot tub got a lot of use. There's only one resturaunt so get up early to make reservations. It's open for lunch and breakfast with no wait and no reservations required so I would definately recommend trying that. You'll get right in but you might have to wait a bit for your food. The buffett food is okay but seemed to lack a decent variety of deserts, however, if you're in a hurry it worked well. They do have room service that we tried and the food was very good and arrived when they promised. There was'nt a lot of resort planned pool activities during the day that we saw. There may have been but during the day when we were there it was pretty quiet around the pool area. We always seemed to be able to find a few chairs, so that was not a big issue for us. Be aware if you're bringing teens, they are very strict and do not tolerate teens under 18 drinking without the proper band. They will not be allowed in the Disco, even with their parents. Thats fine and thats their rules that all quest have to abide by when staying at the resort. We were just caught a little off guard when the beverage manager came up and lectured everyone and threatened to kick people out if he saw anything. We had several teens in our group and though I appreciate their rules they could have approached it a little different given our group dropped around $25k at the place. Other than that, I would say the service was very good, the room was really nice and the food was pretty decent.

Room Tip: email ahead and ask for a room in the north tower on a higher floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tim S
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My mother and I just came back from here last week and already, I'm making plans to go back with friends! I was tasked with choosing the destination and accommodations for our trip and the reviews for El Cozumeleno helped me make my decision. I was pleased in all respects.

There are some that have complaints regarding the food, however it's quite simple to understand when you think about it; the resort must please many people with different tastes - therefore, food isn't particularly salted (salt & pepper were provided on the tables) or spiced. There were plenty of accompaniments around though, spicy and/or savoury sauces and toppings to add. I personally had no issues other than one meal on a particular day, I had a hard time finding something to eat that didn't have meat in it. I realised I'd most likely have an issue with food there as I don't eat meat - so I started eating fish before I left for Cozumel. If you do not eat meat and aren't willing to eat fish - you will have a definite lack of food choices.

Fantastic staff... Looked forward to seeing Marco (POLO!) and Damien in the seaside restaurant everyday. While tipping is standard (even though it's an all-inclusive) and is appreciated by the staff, they're patient and friendly and seem genuinely to enjoy their jobs and the patrons.

Hard beds was the only real issue we had...got uncomfortable by the last couple days!

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend the Ocean-side view rooms in the new tower. I don't know about the rest of them but we were shown an older, garden-view room for comparison to our pre-booked room and it was quite musty smelling. Besides, the ocean-view is stunning.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pirata_Canadiense
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I travelled from March 9 - March 16, 2013 - Ontario March Break (we are in our early 40's):

We were in Room 1914 in the new tower and it was great! The view was spectacular!!! We paid the extra money for the higher room view and it was well worth it ($10/person/night). We had a King Size bed and it was a bit hard, but not too bad. We didn't have trouble sleeping, as we left the patio door open a bit to listen to the ocean waves. So peaceful! We saw cruise ships and the pirate ship come by, which was an awesome sight to see from the balcony. Definitely email the hotel directly to request your room location. I dealt with Pedro and he was awesome! We had friends that stayed in the older part and the rooms were BIG, however, outdated, so I would suggest the newer tower. The hotel needs to update the older part or tear down and start new. That definitely would improve this hotel quite a bit.

Buffet food was good. Good selections and authentic Mexican foods. The omelettes at the buffet are to DIE for and we miss them SO much!! We found that by the end of the week, we were in need of different food, so we ate at the Lobster House down the road from the resort and it was the best food! My husband had a steak and said it was the BEST steak he's EVER had! I had the BBQ Shrimp dinner and it was excellent. A must try if you are looking to try something different from the resort food.

We did eat at the a la carte restaurant 2 nights and yes, did stand in line for an hour to get good times for seating. It wasn't bad, as I just took my Ipad and checked emails and did stuff while waiting in line, as the Wi-fi had the best connection in the lobby. We could get the wi-fi in our room on the balcony and around the pool and beach, but it was hit or miss sometimes. It was really nice to have the free wi-fi and it was one of the reasons we picked this resort. Their mango cheesecake was delicious!! We never did get Fernando to make us a Spanish coffee (as they do it after 9 p.m.). Next time!!

We liked the nachos and popcorn at the snack bar by the one pool. The guacamole was great! You can order food if you are on the beach or in the pool. The wait staff will bring to you no problem. That was SO nice. We didn't have to go into the restaurant if we didn't want to.

Staff everywhere in the resort were eager to please and were SO friendly. We did tip the staff that gave us special attention and they did appreciate anything they gave you. Our favourite waiters are Sylvia and Jose! They were awesome!! We miss them so much!

We rented a Jeep and toured the island. It's a MUST!! The island is SO beautiful!! We visited many bars on the other side of the island and enjoyed shopping at the little shops along the way. Great deals too! They REALLY appreciated our patronage. We did go into town and went after 4:00 p.m. as they are willing to barter more as the cruise ships are gone. We had fun with the ladies in the shops. They were so friendly and happy! They made us laugh! ha-ha

I really cannot believe people would complain about this resort. It's VERY clean and the staff are absolutely the best!! They work very hard to make sure your stay is unforgetable!! Some of the staff at the front desk could have been a little more friendly, as that is your first impression coming into the resort, but it's not a big deal.

As for people complaining about the "birds", there were a couple birds in the eating area and they didn't bother us at all. You are outside, so of course there is wildlife out there! Some people made it sound like attack of the "birds" or something. NOT the case at all.

We absolutely loved the resort and would go back for sure. The view is beautiful and the water is gorgeous! We had some windy weather that went through, but I guess it was a system that went through around the Caribbean islands. The weather was warm for the most part. We did have a half-day of rain, which is unusual for Mexico, but again, I think it was part of the system that was going through.

If you are taking a taxi from the airport - you need to go outside the airport and walk down the lane and around the corner. There are taxi's there. Don't let anyone talk you into taking the shuttle or saying you cannot catch a taxi. You can. You just have to walk at bit down the road. You will save yourself some money and time by doing this. We agreed on a price before we left and paid $12 to the hotel. A word of caution when leaving though, ask them to get you a taxi, but ask them to drop you off outside the airport, or else they will charge you a lot more to get back. We learned this the hard way!! It wasn't a big deal, but it saves you some money if you do it this way. It's safe to walk outside the airport.

A few things the resort could do to make it a 5-star review - food at buffet could be a little warmer sometimes, maybe one more a la carte restaurant or make more times for people to enjoy the a la carte, update the older tower and heat the pools a bit for those who don't like the cooler pools. We didn't mind the pool temperature, but could tell that others didn't use it because of the temperature. We are Canadian and are used to the Northern lakes! ha-ha

We definitely LOVE Cozumel and will be back to stay soon! Thank you again to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable!! We really hated to come back to the snow at home. Wish we were still there. Definitely worth the money we paid to come here. You won't be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Rooms in new tower are nicer and have a great view! Worth the extra money to get a higher floor room. We stayed in room 1914 and it was awesome!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank cherietodd10
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just returned from a five day four night trip to El Cozumeleno during a sold out spring break week. We had two connected rooms on the 4th floor in the South tower. We new about the issues with dinner reservations and availability of lounge chairs on the beach and pool area (or lack thereof), but it was still worse than we had expected. Although the rooms were outdated with 80s decor, they were clean and spacious and the view from the balcony was great. The mattress was too firm for me and the pillows too flat and lumpy. The blanket was too thin and small and I had to sleep with the bedspread on top of me to stay warm (it was only in the 50s at night!). A cold front had just hit Cozumel the night before we arrived and I actually spent the first two nights wishing I could take a hot bath before bedtime, but there were no tubs. The hot tubs outside were crowded and smaller than the one I have in my own backyard at home. Also, the towels in our room although big and clean, were grey and fringed and in worse shape than the rags I use at home. Yes, there were times when I wondered why I had left the comforts of my own home to come to this resort. Note to management: time to invest in new towels and pillows!

Thankfully my husband is an early riser, because he was up at 7:00 AM each morning to make the line for the dinner reservation at the sit down restaurant La Veranda. We were only able to get early reservations (5:30 and 6:00 PM), but I'm sure those who were in line already at 5:00 AM were able to dine later in the evening. I'm pretty sure all tables were fully booked by 8:15 AM each day (officially the reservation window is from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM). Late sleepers would have to stick to the bland food in the buffet restaurant.

It was really windy and the waters were choppy and rough the two first days we were there, so windy in fact the beach was closed for all water activities. We were really bummed since the main reason we chose El Cozumeleno was for the great snorkeling reported in reviews. Since we did rent a car, we traveled to less windy areas of the island, Punta Sur one day and Paradise Beach the next to snorkel. However, we did have to pay a fee to use the snorkel equipment ($10 per person per day for mask and fins). This would be fair if the beach at the resort was open, but since it was closed I think management should not have charged a fee to use their equipment on a beach elsewhere.

All in all the resort has a great location with hard working employees that do their best to keep it clean and running smoothly. Management needs to invest in new room towels and pillows, get rid of the dinner reservation scheme, improve the taste and quality of the food at the buffet, and not allow guests to "reserve" lounge chairs on the beach and pool area. We were there for five days and never once got to sit on a lounge chair or any chair for that matter. They were reserved by guests leaving a towel on it, a flip flop, a book, or even a bottle of suntan lotion. This is simply rude by the other guests, but it is even ruder that the management allows it. If you don't use it you should lose it! Best part of this visit: the view, the spacious and clean rooms, and the dancers who performed on Mexican night.

Lastly, be aware of the "government employees" greeting travelers at the airport and arranging for taxi trips to the hotels. The taxis are apparently regulated by the government on the island and the fee is per person even if all the passengers in the taxi are going to the same resort. They were going to charge us $9.60 per person one way to El Cozumeleno, which for a family of four was going to end up costing $76.80 round trip. The "government employee" offered us a rental car for our entire stay for only $100 in exchange for a visit to the Occidental Grand Resort. He assured us this was not going to be a time share presentation, but merely a visit to see another resort that maybe we would consider staying at if we ever returned to the island. He said they featured a different resort each week and that this particular week it was the Occidental Grand. However, this ended up being a 3 hour time share interview and presentation where at the end we were asked to cough up $79,900 for a 25 year membership. I'm not sure what this little Dodge would have cost us without the half day visit, but I don't think the savings would have been significant. Hertz did charge $400 to my husband's credit card the first day and we have still to find out if that will be credited to us or not, since we did honor our commitment to attend the "presentation". Oh and by the way, the $100 for the car had to be paid in cash ONLY so that blew 50% of the cash we had brought with us.

Room Tip: Request a high floor. The resort is noisy and the windows don't insulate against noise at all.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family