“One of my Favorites!”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I loved staying at El Cozumeleno. The service was great! Snorkeling was amazing! I especially loved having a beautiful view of the ocean AND the pool!! We enjoyed the SOUTH (new) building it overlooks the main pool (swim up bar). I believe quieter people would enjoy the older (North) building more. The rooms are nice, and they are big (I heard the older rooms are even bigger, WOW that would be a BIG room).
The food was ok.....there was always something, for even the pickiest of eaters. The beer was good, and it was cold.
Another added bonus is the proximity to the airport, and town. Less than 10 minutes!!!
The only things that I think El Coz could improve on is:
1.) night life (a little more entertainment at night)
2.) Putting bar fridges in EVERY room.
(Although they gave us a styrofoam cooler to use instead).

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank souc_75
There are newer reviews for El Cozumeleno Beach Resort

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a great time at Cozumeleno. We stayed in the older part of the resort. Very quiet and very clean. I can't say enough about the staff, 95% of them always had a smile on their face and made you like they wanted you to be there. We were in room 604 and be aware that the elevator does not go up to the 6th floor, you have to walk up 1 floor, but we found that view and the quiet was well worth it. Food at the buffet is OK lots of Mexican, and lots of choices. The ocean is cristal clear and great for snorkeling. A few of concerns is limited outlets in the old section hard to charge stuff, TV has very poor reception and I really miss a coffee maker in the room, not near enough lounge chairs you need to be up at 6am to get one. But even with the few concerns this was a great time and we'll be back.

Room Tip: room 604 limited outlets, poor TV very snowy, Great ocean view, good AC, quiet.
1  Thank bob5013
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at El Cozumeleno Jan. 14-21. We travel quite a bit and this is one resort we would actually go back to.

Staff: Everyone was very helpful and all services, bar, housekeeping, front desk, groundskeepers,etc. were very approachable and made you feel very welcome.

Room: Absolutely loved our room. We had an oceanview and it was well worth the few extra dollars. Having keys instead of swipe cards for the room and safe was a bit cumbersome but we still felt safe and did not worry about what was in our safe when we were not in our room.

Food: Totally amazing! My husband is gluten, grain, sugar and lactose free and he had such a huge selection of food choices. The cactus was so delicious. The buffet always had a large variety of tasty treats and the a la carte restaurant was worth a booking as well. One of the front lobby bartenders could use some people skills. He didn't like to give you the Bacardi or Shmirnoff that he keps in the back cupboard. Alot of eye rolling and sighing.

Grounds: My husband and I rarely wore footwear. The beach was right there and the buffet did not require you to have shoes on. Staff were always sweeping, scrubbing and washing the floors which is no easy task considering the closeness of the beach.

Beach: The snorkelling right at the resort was amazing. We saw pods of dolphins, manta rays, large schools of fish, gar fish and sooooo much more. They have a statue in the water as well. Tons of beach chairs, beautiful sand, and clear water.

Tours: I will just speak of the the two tours we booked. The catamaran "Fury" excursion is worth the money. Crew were very friendly and certainly knew how to make a margarita! We stopped at two reefs for snorkeling. Aquatic life was plentiful and everyone was excited to see the sea turtles in their natural habitat. Experienced dive masters. Had a great lunch on the beach with tons of water toys to enjoy. I definitely suggest this tour.

The second tour was an all day tour of cozumel in a dune buggy. You could chose a jeep, polaris, smart car or dune buggy. There were 14 cars in our train and we found that we didn't have to wait for anybody. We did have a couple of break downs of the polaris but the guides were quick to the rescue and a new vehicle was waiting for them when we reached our next stop.
The first stop was the Mayan ruins. Not as grandiose as on the mainland but still very interesting. NOTE: Staff at the gate will charge you $4 US if they think you are taking a video camera. We did explain to them that every phone, camera, etc. has video capabilities but they
still will grab you for the money. Put your camera in your pocket.
The second stop was a tequila museum with some taste testing at the end. A souvenir shop was attached.
You do get to drive along the coast for about 20 mins. after that. Gorgeous.
The third stop was a crocodile sanctuary. Not very exciting as they were just fed before we got there.
The fourth stop was snorkeling and lunch at a beach on the southern tip. You could get a massage, shop or hang out in a hammock.
The fifth stop was a lighthouse. Excellent view.
Great day but the stops were a bit anti-climatic. Loved driving around in the dune buggy!

Overall we loved this resort and would highly reccommend this to families, couples and people with disabilities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank firecwaker
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Note that there are two parts of this resort...a much older outdated section and a new slightly updated tower. A mini fridge is not included in the all inclusive rate it is an additional daily rental fee and a fee to stock it. There is limited bottle water provided as well. The resort does not provide an ironing board nor do they have them. The staff went above and beyond to make us comfortable. The pools were very clean and the ocean was great. Pros out weighed cons by far. The food was good and always available. Make your dinner reservations early in the morning and get out there and save your self a chair on the beach or you wont have one.
The drinks are average and we never had to wait to long for them. I would return to this resort again and would reccomend to friends and family. If your are looking for luxury maybe this is not the place for you. The hotel manager is fantastic if we needed anyhting he made it happen. The beds are kind of hard and are only doubles.

Room Tip: ask for the newer section!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank brandie r
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel is amazingly clean at all times. Staff is always very helpful and will go out of their way to make your stay perfect. The water is crystal clear which makes it perfect for snorkelers. We were a group of 10 and everybody was happy with the food both at the buffet and the restaurant.

If you are looking for night life this is not the place for you as there is very little entertainment.

My only complaint would be the shortage of beach chairs but the good news is we were told they are expecting more shortly :)

Room Tip: The higher floors obviously have a better view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sylvie B
Reviewed March 2, 2013

After reading many reviews on T/A and comparing most of the resorts in Cozumel, we chose to stay At El Coz. I have to say it was an awesome choice. We traveled in a group of 10 and had a ball both at the resort and off.

I am a picky eater and was never starving. All kinds of choices and very good food. Drinks were good but I am pretty much a beer drinker. Can't speak for the mixed drinks.

I noticed that many folks on here complain about reservations at the Viranda resturant, lack of beach chairs, and various other things. I did find these things to be true. However, I had read the reviews and chose El Coz anyway based on the positive things I read. I can say that I am glad that I did.

The beach is smaller and more for snorkeling than swimming. Not 50 yards north of the resort is what I would call your classic beach. Didnt look like there was a problem going over there.

Going into town is great. Lots of things to do and see. Advise: Try to go later in the day after say 4pm when they start loading the cruise ships. Less people and better deals to be had.

Overall we had a great time and will return again, great people, great service and great value.

Room Tip: we stayed in north tower garden view 1115. Great access, not a great view. Another couple in our gro...
6  Thank race218
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Would recomend the trip it is worth every penny. The staff was very freindly and willing to help you with anything. Grounds were keept up very nice. They had plenty to do and were very pro-active. We will be taking this trip next year.

2  Thank william y y