“Was good for family”

Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
fostoria MI
“Was good for family”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We are a family of 4 and loved this place. We are easy to please though. The snorkeling was good just off the beach, current is strong once you go beyond the pier though. People were very friendly and we rented a jeep at the hotel and spent the day driving around Cozumel. Cozumel is easy to navigate. Saw some really cool sea critters. The pool with the swim up bar was nice and you can ask for premium drinks ; )

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,590)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The resort is gorgeous! The cleanliness of resort superb! The staff very kind and inviting. I found bed very hard and uncomfortable and woke up several times during the night. ( an investment of mattresses and pillows like the Hilton in Niagara falls Ontario would solve that lol). I disliked the buffet, however the menu items I chose were good. Loved the burgers and nachos at the bar (by pool). I would definitely go back if beds are up-dated and i would take dress clothes to eat in the formal dining restaurant. The climate was perfect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at El Coz. from 12/8-12/13 and we were pleased in many ways with our stay. The staff were excellent. We have never felt so pampered staying in a resort as this was our first stay in an AL. Don't forget to bring plenty one $1 bills as the staff fully deserve to be tipped! The beds were definitely hard and sleeping in past 5 am was difficult because of this but with such a beautiful view from our 8th floor room how can we complain!

Before traveling to Mexico, I did a lot of research on the safety of Cozumel and we felt comfortable traveling to the island. Unfortunately the first morning of our stay we were robbed at knife point on the beach just feet from the resort. After speaking to some locals later on in the week we learned that crimes are more prevalent than we had expected. Apparently there are many incidents of ppl grabbing purses/bags while passing on scooters. Or forcing tourist to buy drugs with threats of violence. I write this to say, please be careful! Stay in a group and on the resort property!

11 Thank Cozreview
Garland, Texas
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We just returned from spending a week at the El Cozumeleno to celebrate our 30th anniversary. While this was probably our least favorite of the resorts we've stayed at on Cozumel, we had an outstanding time and recommend this resort to anyone considering traveling to Cozumel.

While the facility looks dated, it is due to the architecture of the buildings, the last of which was completed in 2000 (we were told). The facility was immaculately clean and everything was in working order. Our room, in the newer taller building, was on the 9th floor and provided an beautiful view of the Mexican Caribbean. The room had a king sized bed, couch, two night stands with lamps, a table with two chairs and a TV in an entertainment cabinet / dresser. Use of the safe is included. The bath was two rooms, one with the toilet and shower, the other with the mirror, sink and closet. The balcony had a small table and two chairs. The room was very nice, but somewhat provincial for this type of resort. As we were only in the room when we were asleep or showering, it was more than adequate, but not really a place to just "hang out". BTW: we were told that the rooms in the old building had small refrigerators and microwaves; things not available in new building where we stayed.

There was a sea side buffet and a restaurant. You had access to the restaurant all day, but had to have reservations for the supper. The buffet was typical of a Mexican all-inclusive resort; just mediocre. By the end of the week we were of the attitude, "Oh. I guess we have to go eat now." In the buffet you can also order from a menu, which we did a few times. If you have the time, the menu food tends to be much better than the buffet. Two or three times I saw crows (those obnoxious black birds) perched on and eating from the salad bar and the eastern section of the buffet (I never ate from those anyway). A note on service in the buffet... I won't say that it's bad, but it is slow. You may sit several minutes before you're offered a menu or the h'orderve plate.

And ... I'd recommend avoiding any of the occasional dishes with raw fish. I didn't and that evening spent five hours with my arms around the toilet in our room heaving my socks up; that is when I wasn't perched upon said toilet with violent projectile diarrhea. Though I was able to enjoy the next day, it was not nausea free for a further 24 hours.

The beach was the best we've ever been on at a Cozumel resort. It is long, and much deeper with less coral and rocks than any Cozumel resort we've ever visited. If you like strolling barefoot along the beach and you're going to be in Cozumel, then this resort if probably for you. You had to be on the beach by 8:30 to get a palapas with chairs. I was told by a family that's been to this resort 14 times that in the busy season that you have to be on the beach by 6AM to get a palapas with chairs. This resort has room for more palapas and I wish they'd invest in some.

The snorkling is good (not great) at the north end of the resort's beach area. There are a couple dozen species of fish. If you pay attention you might see a sea urchin, lobster, eel or an octopus. If you're in Cozumel for the diving, a 40 minute boat ride is required to get to the dive sites from El Cozumeleno. So if you're going dive for more than a day, you'd be happier on the south end of the island where you only have to spend 5-10 minutes on the boat each way.

God bless the bartenders, but ... I got to where I hated to go ask for a drink because I felt like was putting them out. After a couple of days I finally quit tipping three of them (there were only four bars open). They weren't rude, they just weren't friendly and acted like they didn't want to wait on me. The bars don't carry champagne (they said it was too expensive) and only two of our eight days was there mint. So if you need your mojito or mimosa (both wildly popular Caribbean cocktails), be sure to bring your own mint and champagne or be prepared to do without.

This resort seems to go out of the way to cater to smokers. There are ash trays everywhere outdoors (something I've never seen at a resort). We were almost always within smelling distance of someone smoking. I've never been at a resort where you didn't have to smell the occasional smoker, but this is the only time I've been to a resort where there have been so many smokers that we automatically looked for places up wind of them.

We had a great time and overall this is a great facility that we recommend.

4 Thank jssmith6
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed a week at El Cozumeleno with our two sons, ages 2 and 5. We had a very nice time, good facilities for kids (food selection, playground, kids club and toys, miniputt, etc). Beachfront was ok (a little rocky), but excellent viewing of sea life for snorkellers right in front of the hotel. Nice staff, very accommodating. The resort was very clean, both inside the rooms, dining areas and pool/beach areas. The mattresses weren't the best, the pillows were hit and miss (recommend you bring your own if you have room in your luggage!). Overall the resort is very well-maintained and not too expensive. We also recommend renting a car for a day or two and touring around the island. There are excellent beaches on the far side of the island as well as a lagoon suitable for young kids.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are nice but look over the main pool area that can get a little noisy at night. We...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer M
Salyersville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were at the Cozelmeleno for four nights. It was great. The food is not the best but it was worth the view and facilities. The staff is so friendly and the water is so clear and beautiful! We will definitely be back again and maybe pack a few snacks to take with us. Lol

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Angie James B
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 20, 2012

and we had a great time at el cozumeleno! We stayed for three nights and had a lovely room on the 7th floor with a balcony (I think they all might). The rooms, and entire resort, was very clean. Staff was super friendly and very helpful. All inclusive is definitely the way to go--next time we'll remember to bring our refillable cups! The beds are not super comfortable, and I agree with some of the previous reviewers that the food selection was more limited than expected, but overall we had a really great time.

1 Thank paige s