“They listen! Thank YOU, Carlos."” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
USA
“They listen! Thank YOU, Carlos."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

We are Palace Premier members and this was our 6th trip to Palace Resorts. We have also given our son a trip to a resort (Isla Mujeres) and twice included old friends in visits to Palace resorts. We had not previously visited or stayed at the resort in Cozumel. (Our prior visits have been to the Moon Palace, Aventura Spa, and the Sun Palace.) With that for context, plus my reliance in general on Trip Advisor, we decided to stay at Cozumel. Upon arrival, however, my wife and I had second thoughts. We were not greeted as Premier members. (On all prior visits we were whisked away to a Concierge Level/Premier associate who expedited our check-in and made all reservations for us promptly.) My wife was not even given a flower and we waited quite some time before we were even given a "welcome" drink. After the lack luster welcome, we were assigned a very nice room. (It was on the Concierge level, the 5th floor, with a wonderful view overlooking the Gulf. It was very nicely appointed.) The following morning at breakfast we were given a survey (as we have been given in past years). My wife decided to express our surprise which she attributed to lack of training and not unkindness or neglect. Well, to my even greater surprise, Carlos introduced himself later and assured us that the Palace wanted to make our stay as nice as possible. Within the limits of the latitude that he could exercise, he did so. Just one example is that when my wife left a paperback on the beach and went back to find that all had been cleaned up at the end of the day, he suggested where she might look and then, later, he found it, himself. We did not like the expenditure limits on resort dollars: while one has $1500, only $300 could be spent at the spa. We were aware prior to our visit, that there are not as many offerings of trips from this resort. But as we had previously visited many of them on our prior visits, we were looking forward primarily to relaxing and snorkeling and swimming with the dolphins. We experienced all of these and we even found the snorkeling right off the resort to be very pleasant. There was a very nice variety of fish and it was very convenient, plus it was reassuring to snorkel in an area that had a lifeguard. We also enjoyed spending resort dollars on "premium wines." While the price on some is grossly inflated, it was nice to enjoy Moet champagne. We also thought that the "romantic dinner" was very nice. Overall, I think that the quality of the food and beverage service at the Palace resorts has definitely improved. The pastries were elegant confections. As in past years, the breakfast buffets and pool-side grill were very nice. Is there room for more improvement? Yes. Some of the wait staff, though enthusiastic, were over-extended (given too many tables) and did not know what to do. There was also no monitoring of who used the chaises reserved for members and those who upgraded to the Concierge level. While this may have been a boon to the "interlopers," it was a slight to those who had invested in the Palace. There was also too much loud music around the pool. At other resorts, which are larger, there are areas reserved for quiet reflection as well as raucous activities. While this is attempted at Cozumel, because the resort is smaller and everything is in close proximity to everything else, it just does not work that well. It was almost comical that while the romantic dinners on the sand were in progress only a short distance away there were evening theme entertainments that conflicted with the mood of the diners on the sand. But, I would chalk that up to the resort wanting to please everyone at the same time. It is a laudable goal, but sometimes, the result inevitably is that someone is disappointed. What is the best thing? The people and their sincere efforts to make your experience the best possible. If you are picky (like me), you will not find everything to be perfect, but , I think, that you will agree that the good will and sincere efforts of the staff will leave you smiling and wanting your vacation to last longer. Last tip & thank you: We transferred from Cozumel to the Sun Palace for our last night. We did this, at the suggestion of the travel consultants at the resort, so that our last morning would be less hectic. We arrived & departed from Cancun. By land transportation & sea (a public ferry) the trip one way can be as long as 3 hours. We arranged our move to minimize our loss of beach time and we found the suggestion to be a good one. Alternatively, if you have not yet arranged your flights, you might want to fly directly to Cozumel. Second PS: Yes, this is a family-friendly resort, i.e., it is not an adults-exclusive resort. There were not that many families with children at the resort and those there all were very considerate of people who do not have children.

2 Thank Beachbumman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,266)
  • Hebrew first
Innisfil, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

We have just returned from a week's vacation at Cozumel Palace. We were in room 225 from February 13 to 20th - great room with a great room of the ocean! Before I begin, I would just like to commend some of the staff that we met - Fernanda Bedolla who checked us in to the resort - it was only her 3rd day working at the resort and she was extremely personable and professional - she was a pleasure to deal with. Servers around the bar were Silvia Herrera, Luis Paras, Andres Rejon - all were absolutely amazing and were there to ensure that our vacation was the best ever. Isadore who was one of the managers, was always checking with hotel guests to make sure that all was good for us. Manuel Pech, was the manager of the Itialian restaurant and he as well was always asking if service was good and if there was anything that could be improved on. Julieta, Maria and Jose also work in the Italian restaurant and deserve mention for superb customer service. Victor made sure our room was spotless.
The resort is impeccable, the food is always fresh and delicious. We made good use of our credits at the resort and had a tour every day, massage and the champagne and lobster dinner on our last night. Snorkeling at the resort was just as good as the tour we went on and San Miguel is only a 10 minute walk from the resort. If you are looking at this resort - go for it - you will not be disappointed!

1 Thank 340dart
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

All of the employees at this hotel were extremely friendly and eager to please- didn't matter if they worked at the front desk, pool, or one of the restaurants. Even though CP is all inclusive, I would recommend tipping since everyone is so friendly/helpful.
The hotel itself is in a perfect location- not right in town but a very short walk away. The pool area is nice. This hotel does not have a beach. It does have a dock- so if you arrange a scuba trip, most of the dive shops can pick you up and drop you off right there.
The rooms are pretty good. Personally, I think the double bathtub jacuzzi in the middle of the room is kinda cheesy. I think more living space would be better. The beds were fine. The noise in the hallways can be a little bad b/c the hallways are tile and everything echos out there.
The 3 different a la carte restaurants were all pretty good. The food was a little bland so be prepared to add salt and pepper, but the quality of the food was good. The Asian place was probably my favorite.
I rented a Jeep one day and drove around to the other side of the island. I highly recommend doing this. The back side of the island is really pretty and undeveloped. Stop by Coconuts- a really cool bar/restaurant on a little hill/cliff. Great view and good food and margaritas.
There is an Avis in the hotel lobby. Make your reservation before you come down to Cozumel and bring your reservation with you to show them the price that you reserved at. They tried to charge me a higher rate but I told them they had to honor the rate from when I made my reservation or I would just go back and dispute the charge with my credit card company. They honored the rate from when I made the reservation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank KK
Oakville, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

We spent a week at Cozumel Palace and thought it was a good option for a family of four with young teenagers. When we tried to book all inclusives many would not allow a couple with an 11 year old and a 16 year old stay in one room.

We also used every penny of the$ 1500 resort credit to snorkel(Aquaword took good care of us...), swim with Dolphins(right next door), did a day trip to Tulum, had a very good filet/lobster dinner, massages, etc. We also took advantage of the fact we could spend the day at another resort.(we did a beach day at Playacar Palace). We also felt safe enough to walk around Cozumel, take the ferry on our own and do a little shopping. Since its a very small resort, excursions are a must...

We also really liked the internet access and complementary phone calls to the US and Canada.

Overall the front desk/room/housekeeping/pool area services were all top notch and we liked the short transfers to and from Cozumel airport.

A La Carte food was more typical of a 3/4/5 star resort (cold food, old food, good sushi, bad stir fry, unpredictable service, hair in food, etc) so most nights we did the outdoor buffet and enjoyed some truly excellent shows. The lunch at Playacar Palace was far better while the lunch at Xhupa Palace was much, much worse.

Our only major issue was with our day trip from hell to Tulum. 6 AM taxi, ferry, bus with 5 resort stops(some people were 1/2 hour late for the bus at Aventura Spa Palace), long winded presentation in Tulum by a tour guide to get us to buy overpriced trinkets. An hour trapped at a gift shop. 2 PM at Xhupa palace for lunch...completely out of food. (8 hours with nothing to eat, ice cold waterpark, ice cold pools, terrible beach) A drop off at five more resorts, then run for the 4 PM ferry and taxi home...We loved Tulum but the tour was truly terrible...

Overall we liked the resort but missed being on a good beach.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

Great service and all round great Hotel. Quality food.

Stevens Point, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

I've stayed in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, the Mayan Riviera,but the Cozumel Palace exceeded my highest expectations! The food was excellent and the attention to detail made dining truly enjoyable.Choosing from the many options is always tough but you can't go wrong having their chefs special. I had the grouper with peppers and it was by far the best fish I've ever eaten! You expect great service at an all inclusive but the staff here really seemed to like you and always had a smile and genuine warmth that made the stay spectacular! The proximity to town was a huge plus for my girlfriend and I . A mere 6 block walk and you're at the dance clubs, restaurants, and shopping. No need for cabs and heck, after all that food and drink you know the walking is a necessity Rent a jeep, car, or scooter and spend the day on the Eastern side of the island. The beaches are gorgeous,the seafood is fresh off the boats, and with only one road the view and ride is awesome! Playa Bonita, Chen Rio, have great beaches.Coconuts is the hottest party stop! The resort itself is smaller than the Barcello's or Iberostars, but because of that the Palace is far more intimate and rewarding!

1 Thank waynereede3942
Yellowknife, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

My Wife and I just spent a week in Paradise at Cozumel Palace.
This resort exceeded all of our wildest expectations! We have just spent a week getting treated like royalty! The resort seemed really big with pools, a swim-up-bar, four restaurants, lounge areas, and huge guest rooms. Our room was a loft room; it was two levels and almost as big as our house back home. Marble floors throughout, balcony with hammock, two full bathrooms with purified water coming out of the taps, three beds (king size downstairs and two doubles upstairs), hot tub Jacuzzi, stocked fridge and slide-out liquor dispenser (upstairs and downstairs), 24 hour room service, and free long distance. Despite seeming big, the resort also had a small feeling. The staff not only learned your name but they got to know you quickly. This was no small feat given the sheer number of them. Cooks, maintenance, servers, entertainment directors, and on and on. There was people that carried your plate from the buffet, another to open the door to the patio, another to push in your chair for you, another to ask if you would like a drink, and a head waiter to come around and ask if there is anything else that could possibly be done.
We got to know several of them as well. We especially got along with two of the servers, Fernando and Roger Roger and two of the entertainment directors, Ricky Ricardo and Gabrielle.
I travelled with my wife and we met friends there. As a group we ended up doing way more than we ever would have done on our own. We played pool volleyball, swam with the dolphins, rented a jeep and drove to see Mayan ruins, a tequila factory, and more on a loop around the island. We went to a beach that had peacocks, storks, flamingos, and chickens mingling with the guests. Fifty feet away there were even crocodiles! In addition, I went snorkeling on a coral reef, swimming with sting rays and had my picture taken with a large snake draped over me, a monitor lizard, and a spider monkey.
Despite having such an active schedule we still found lots of time to relax. We never felt rushed or hurried; an hour beside or in the pool felt like four. Time slowed down on this vacation. It feels strange even typing this but time stood still. Our week together felt like a month. We fit more activities and adventures into this week than any of us thought possible and still managed to feel like we spent the majority of our time relaxing and came home feeling totally at peace, despite the twenty hour trip home.
The resort dollars were a nice touch. They enabled us to swim with dolphins and sting rays, and enjoy the spa for free. We had a lot of the $1500 left at the end of the week so we used them to buy pictures that the Palace photographers took of us throughout the week.
The level and quality of service cannot be described. Anything you want is their pleasure. The Italian restaurant has a dress code but we ate all our meals outside anyway. We could sit outside and order off of any of the menus. One supper I had an entree from both the Mexican and Chinese restaurant! Room service is the same; the menu is limited but if you know the name of the dish and the restaurant that makes it they will bring it to your room any time of the day. I drink rye and the liquor dispenser only had scotch but all I had to do was pick up the phone and they would bring me as many glasses as I requested with mix on the side. The drinks got stronger as the week went on too! In the beginning they were pouring about 25% rye to 75% mix but as the week went on the balance shifted until I actually had to request that they added a little more mix!
In planning the trip we read many reviews and saw that the biggest complaint was the noise in the hallways. To those people and others who desire a quiet stay and don’t want to be disturbed at night I highly recommend spending the extra money and getting a loft suite. They are at the opposite end of the hotel from the rest of the rooms and there are only a dozen or so of them. I slept downstairs on the king size bed and never heard a sound. No voices or footsteps. I guess if you did hear anything on the lower level then you could sleep upstairs where there is no hallway on the other side of the wall.

We made a pact on the last day to return next year and I can hardly wait!

2 Thank Rob4562