“Loved Cozumel Palace!”
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Before traveling to Cozumel Palace, we read every review on here and figured we would have something new to say, but it is just as wonderful as all the other reviews! My husband and I just celebrated our honeymoon at Cozumel Palace and could not have been happier. We loved every second, from the staff, to the food and drinks, to the activities, everything exceeded our expectations.

Tips:
As mentioned on other reviews, definitely visit the activities desk as soon as you get there. There are only certain days you can visit certain tours, so it takes some logistics to get stuff to work. Also, we were given the option to visit Adventura Palace withing the first 48 hours of arrival to listen to a time share thing and were given a $200 spa credit and $100 hotel credit. While the time share speech is somewhat annoying and a little pressurful, it is only an hour and WELL WORTH the spa credit! Adventura is absolutey AMAZING! It is a HUGE hotel with the most amazing spa I have ever seen. Their couples massages are a tad expensive, but worth it and they are free after your credit. They have a huge hydrotheropy spa that you visit before your massage including steam room, dry sauna, aroma therapy hot tubs, water foot massages and more! By the time we got to the massage I was already so relaxed I was in heaven. I would highly recommended planning to attend the session and spend all day at Adventura and the spa. Since we spent all day in the spa and pool, we asked the front desk if their was a place we could shower before dinner and they gladly gave us a room to use for the day free. It was truly the best experience ever and you are really missing out if you don't go!

It is impossible to relate how fun and wonderful Cozumel Palace is, so stop reading reviews and go see for yourself!! I promise you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GHarmon
Write a ReviewReviews (3,795)

Reviewed September 9, 2007

I have been to Cozumel the last 6 years and love going there. The Palace was my 4th hotel and the best I'd ever stayed at.. that was until my trip this year. Dont get me wrong I love the place and Im not quite sure what to do about this, but this year after bragging to family about what a great place the Cozumel Palace was we returned in June (family in tow) and were placed in a VERY SMALL, NO JACUZZI, NO OCEAN TO VIEW, JAMMED IN A FOLD AWAY LEAVING NO ROOM TO WALK , STALE SMELLING ROOM. I was floored!!! How much did I pay for this Room? !!! The front desk said they had no other rooms and that they would move us to another room the next day. and they did, but I couldnt believe it. Yes the rest of the stay went well and yes I love the Cozumel Palace but I believe that everyone should be aware that if they are out of rooms they do have some small rooms that face the grocery store and apparently this is what they do, they stick some unsuspecting sole into that room each night then move them out for the next poor sole the next night. I am sick about it because I do love the palace but I can only beg them to make these rooms broom closets as they should be in the first place.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank Peri
Reviewed September 7, 2007

We had a great honeymoon. There was good, bad and ugly. I might go there again, but with more money for tipping.

THE GOOD:
We got a great deal for 8 days in Cozumel Palace including our flights from SFO for under $4K for our honeymoon. We were very excited because we love snorkeling, we wanted to be pampered, and not have to worry about food or activities. CP had all of that.

When you exit the airport, put on your blinders and walk straight to the right to the main road and wait for a taxi on the grass there. We picked one up for $6.

When we arrived, the cold towel and champagne were a little anticlimactic, but we sat down and they were not too pushy about the timeshare. I read ahead, so I very strongly said, "no thank you," and he left it at that.

Vanessa's mani/pedi in the spa were AWESOME. Tip her BIG (even though it's not necessary).

We booked our romantic honeymoon dinner, which was very nice, and all our tours right away and went up to our room. We loved our room except that it was right above the grill, very noisy, and not on the 4th or 5th floors like we had asked 6 months in advance. Hammocks are tricky and not very comfortable. Tub is amazing. Loved the blackout curtains, giant beds and marble floors.

If you want to explore the island, walk out of the hotel and hang a left. Just past Margaritaville is Less Pay Car Rental. We rented a car w/Air Conditioning for 3 days @ $40/day. Can't beat that. It was amazing to explore and drive around. As they say, you can't get lost because there is one main road that loops the coast of the island. The north has been shut down since Wilma, but it was still beautiful.

The zocolo on Sunday after the cruise ships were gone was a lot of fun.

We went to Coconuts and sat at the farthest table overlooking the ocean and had mariachis sing "De Colores" to us. It was magical. Swimming in Chen Rio with lots of local children was fantastic, also. We visited Corona because we didn't want to pay for any of the other beaches and found it to be pretty nice, uncrowded with good snorkeling and nice atmosphere, but see "THE UGLY."

Snorkeling and pool at hotel was awesome. We brought our own equipment and were happy we did, especially when we went on the glass bottom boat tour because everyone else complained about the equipment.

Get fruit in the morning and take it with you to Tulum and Chankanaab to feed the iguanas. Make sure to grab some hibiscus flowers in the parking lot. A highlight of our trip.

San Gervaiso Ruins wwere amazing. LOTS of gigantic iguanas. Very quiet on a Sunday afternoon. Bring hiking shoes and lots of film/charged camera.

The tour guides on the Tulum and Chankanaab tour were awesome. Gorje and Raul were informative, caring, funny and organized.

THE BAD:
We did not get the room we requested and we were on our honeymoon. Very noisy drunk families at night, flip flopping, running and banging walls.

We signed up for all our tours right away and ended up wishing we'd signed up for Chankanaab twice and paid extra to do Xpu Ha, Isla Mujeres and Chichen Itza instead of Tulum. I hear Palace is opening up one on Isla Mujeres so I am excited for that. Better go before it gets too crowded.

Food was disappointing. I was thinking casino buffet quality and instead it was more like airplane / bad wedding quality. And we got sick (see THE UGLY). We loved the grill at night the best and ordered room service cereal most mornings so as not to feel like big sweaty hogs for the rest of the day.

Staff, tour guides and guests feeding and touching marine life. Very, very bad for a recovering reef that could take 100s of years to recover from the hurricane. Also, get biodegradable sunblock before you go-it's so expensive there.

Print out a whole bunch of your saved reviews and read them on the plane. I wished I'd done that.

If you are more of the outgoing tyep and would like to be on your romantic vacation with others, socialize and get to know other couples and families, I think this is a great place. If you are wanting to be alone in the world with your new hubby or wifey, this is not it. Trust me. I think this would be a fantastic family reunion vacation site. No doubt that it is also a party town for spring break.

It's HOT there (duh, right?). When you go out, make sure you have water, light clothing, a parasol even (esp. on Tulum tour) and/or one of those water spray/fans. If you have kids, this is a must. Lots of cranky kids because of the heat.

THE UGLY:

We spent 16 hours traveling on our way home because there are no direct flights from CA. We spent 6 hours in Houston.

I do have to say, that if you have any sensitivity whatsoever regarding tourism's impacts on native people, this could no way be a 5.0 vacation for you. I know that some people don't feel this way and see it as helping the native people, so what I'm about to say is not directed toward you. When the servers say "It's my pleasure," do you really think they mean it? I thought I wanted to be pampered on my honeymoon, but I just felt guilty most of the time. If things like this don't bother you, then you'll have a great time getting sunburned, taking in the "Mayan Show" and drinking unlimited margaritas by the pool and not tipping. As and American, I felt grossed out seeing this everywhere I went.

The vendor I encountered on the Tulum tour said it best when he was trying to bargain with me for an embroidered blouse. I kept telling him I didn't have enough money to NOT underpay, and he said, "Fine! How about 5 STINKY American dollars?!" and blew smoke in my face. That pretty much sums up the true meaning of "It's my pleasure."

You MUST read this website on "Montezuma's Revenge / traveler's diarrhea / turista" before you go to Cozumel Palace. [--]

I don't think it's a coincidence that the day we left the resort to explore the island, we came down with it. Although we didn't go anywhere that was not highly touristed (Coconuts, Chen Rio, Corona Beach (very nice-kind of hidden--Chankanaab snorkeling without Chankanaab hassle) to snorkel and have Cokes and Corona from a bottle), we lost three days of our 8 day honeymoon because of it. The night before, we had eaten a lot of seafood from the resort, so we really don't know how/where/why we got sick. The website is helpful. Someone told me that you should drink two shots of Pepto before every meal when you go to Mexico for the first time.

I've included some photos here and have more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertrock/sets/72157600909256110/

I hope this has been helpful to you. Enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank msrockefeller
Reviewed September 6, 2007

Okay, I'm afraid to give Cozumel Palace yet another rave review only because they might raise their prices and I won't be able to afford to go back!!!

I went for my honeymoon and upon first arriving, the hotel lobby was stylish and clean, the employees were super friendly and eager to assist us and the views of the water were beautiful. This was also my first all-inclusive vacation and I thought the food was great.

You can also go snorkeling right on the hotel dock and our package also included tours of Mayab ruins and such.

My only advice would be to get a list of tours as soon as you arrive so that you can plan out your trip right... also the "glass bottom boat" tour is actually a snorkeling trip, so you want to show up for it in your bathing suit (nobody told me that, but it was sucha great place, I just rolled with the punches and ended up doing some of the best snorkeling ever!

This is a great place for fun-loving, chill personalities. If you're a but stuffy, then Cozumel Palace might even loosen you up a bit.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mimsy05
Reviewed September 2, 2007

Our vacation in Cozumel at the Cozumel Palace exceded our expectations!! The best service, room was beautiful, everyone that worked at the Hotel was so gracious all the time! I highly recommended it!! My husband and I had a great 2nd Honeymoon!!

Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank mcraco
Reviewed August 31, 2007

I can't say enough about this hotel. If I called about anything we needed, they called back within 20 minutes to make sure it was taken care of. The staff was exceptional, I saw more smiles in my week there than ever before! When they say that alcohol is included, they mean it. There are four bottles of top alcolhol in your room and I was told if I ran out to let them know! As far as the bars are concerned they make it all! The food was wonderful with a full wone list of french, spanish, ect. wines. You can get a bottle and just drink a glass! The dive shop is Aqua Safari. I can't say enough about them. They were wonderful. I've been lucky enough to have many vacations both in the us and abroard. This is my #1 vacation. I came home with a happy buzz! It's been three weeks and I still have it!

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 30, 2007

My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in Cozumel at the Cozumel Palace June 12-17th. We were completely overwhelmed with the royal treatment we experienced here! We went friends of ours and their feelings were the same.

The location was absolutely gorgeous...completely perfect! We ventured out to do snorkeling, ride the jeeps, go horseback riding, and shopping. We enjoyed the infinity pool and all of the hotel ammenities like the spa.

These people are here to make your stay amazing. Everyone here is HAPPY - all the time - even when it's raining.

We enjoyed all the food. They have the best guacamole in the world! Our favorite meal was at the outdoor grill. The steaks were incredible.

We read a ton of reviews about Playa, Cancun, Tulum, Puerto Aventuras, etc and found the traveler comments about the Cozumel Palace to be the best. Our stay there was just as people said it was going to be. This island is not overpopulated or developed. It was very safe. The people welcome you with open arms. It is a vacation of a lifetime.

Stayed: June 2007