“Fab time with the fam”

Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Palmer, Alaska
“Fab time with the fam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

When the Palace ran the kids stay free promo, they probably didn't bank on a family with 5 kids cashing in. We stayed there for 6 relaxing nights and everyone ages 14 months, 5, 9, 13, 15, 40 and 44 had an absolute ball. Our family are seasoned travelers and no one wanted to leave. Here are a few of our tips and pointers:

The staff: What warm and friendly people we met. They truly do bend over backwards to accomadate you including bringing quarts of warm milk for our baby via room service.We did tip because the staff does work hard and they made sure that all of our needs were met.

The food: Guacamole to die for! The food was good and we were satisfied with the selections. If you go expecting 5 star dining, you will be disapointed but if you want decent all-inclusive fare, the palace is it. One suggestion would be to hit the outside buffets early, they didn't have an adequate chill method for deserts and salads and that worried me.

The accomadations: Rooms were very nice and well stocked. These are the most comfortable beds and linens we have had in Mexico. The fridge is well stocked as are the bathroom toiletries. The marble can get slick when wet so watch out if your wet. Loved the hammock at sunset.

The water and pools: Aqua Safari is a great dive operation, right on time, great dive masters, and appropriate dive briefings which emphasize preserving the reef. ( important to us). The snorkeling is fun and accessable even for kids. My kids didn't do much with the kids program, but instead lived in the pool. I have no complaints about the lack of sandy shore and enjoyed the rocky one. There are plenty of places to go for some privacy. Try the site by the dive dock with sand, plenty of shade and not a soul around.

If you are looking for the 5 star pampering, big huge resorts of Cancun, this is not it. If you are looking for the Disney babysitting, entertain my child while the parents leave for hours, this is not it. If you want a place that is clean, relaxing, fun, laid back, close to town with a great friendly staff, this is the place. We would take our family back in a heartbeat.

Make sure you follow all the security procedures departing the airport, we had one security lady who I really disliked by the time we got on the plane as she required my 14 month old to hold her own ticket and passport. At least the other passengers got a good laugh. Adios Amigos!

• Liked — Overall, relaxing vacation
  • Disliked — Onery lady at the airport
7 Thank _IdahoCalypso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,276)
  • Hebrew first
Bellevue, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2007

"It is our pleasure", you won't hear that more often than when you stay at the Cozumel Palace. Fabulous ! Beyond Perfect ! snokeling right off the stairs. Octopus, sea urchins, blue & yellow fish, right there. If you SCUBA dive, Aqua Safari has the nicest people working there. Superb dive masters. The 4 of us (45,44,19 & 15) took the Coba tour, organized beyond any tour we've ever taken while on a cruise. Hotel room #211, outstanding. Great balcony to watch the evening shows from. Or, just sit down at the "Grill" restaurant and get a live view just feet away. People were right, Italian rest. was the best. They bent over backward helping me pull together something for my son's 19th b-day in the Oriental rest. My son found "white russians" and I probably drank a tanker truck full of virgin pina coladas. You NEVER saw anyone drunk. This isn't a girls gone wild place. Thank GOD. Family, honeymooners, couples. Whole hearted nice people, smiles, fun, and relaxation. Never were we pulled into games, my son was "overly welcomed" when he asked to join in the water volleyball game. The service is beyond compare. If you have any doubt, forget'a'bout it. This is the vacation you will remember and hate to see end. We will be back next year, bringing more family with us. You have to go here to believe just how great it is. You won't miss a beach, never had a probelm with a chair or palapa - even at 2:00pm. Do yourself a favor, go to Cozumel Palace. You will find yourself wanting to write on and on about it with nothing but Rave reviews. Your kids will love it, you will love it, you'll be sorry to leave...it is .....ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

• Liked — They never stopped cleaning, Fabulous room, felt exceptionally safe
  • Disliked — Distance from Cancun airport (has nothing to do with accommodation)
9 Thank Hiyatree
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2007

We returned from the palace last night our stay was from june 30th to july 7th.we have stayed at sandals and secrets resorts before so I have something to compare to,the service and facilities were just as good or better the staff was excellent,we were never asked for a tip,even though we did.there was plenty of staff by the pool to take your drink orders.our favoite food was the steaks outside on the grill,most people we talked to liked the italian the best,least favorite was the oriental.the breakfast buffet was great,getting ready to go diving in the morning,the wife slept in and ordered room service she said the omlets were good.
The weather was really great the entire week only a couple of brief showers,I went diving every day,did thirteen dives while there,I saw a couple of green eels about 5ft long many turtles,lobster,groupers and even a sun fish,on the way back to the resort the captain spotted a fin on top of the water and went to investigate,it was a sun fish he let us dive in and snorkle to look at it,very cool.went on one night dive saw my first octopus and tons of huge crabs.
The only negative thing I have to say was the kids at the pool were very aggrevating,the security gaurd had to stop one from running on the wall between the pools,to me the solution is very simple why not make the infinity pool adults only,if not for that this vacation would get a 10 from me.
We met lots of friendly people,hello kathy and ron,really enjoyed your guys company.
thats all I can think of now if you have any questions e-mail me at staceman66@hotmail.com.

• Liked — close to diving
  • Disliked — kids at the pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank minerman
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2007

We were married on January 6th, and left for Cozumel on the 8th. We stayed 5 nights until the 13th and have nothing but great things to say about Cozumel Palace.

The only hiccup we had with our stay was the travel from the airport to the resort. We had booked the transportation directly on the resort's website with Chaza Travel. When we arrived and finally got our bags (and past the timeshare salesmen), we found a line of travel company vans sitting outside. No one from Chaza Travel was to be found. Not knowing any Spanish put us in a bit of a predicament. Thankfully, a lady from another company that looked official came up and said they would take care of it. We're guessing they have some sort of agreement with Chaza and/or the resort. This was the only portion of the trip I had forgotten to confirm, and was the only issue we had. Call and confirm!

When we arrived, the check in was very smooth. You sit down with a cool towel and a glass of champagne with a cherry in the bottom. Someone goes over everything with you and gives you your bracelet that identifies you as staying at the resort. (Don't ever take this off!)

Some of the things we did:
1. rented a Jeep and drove around the island to a lighthouse in a nature park with an incredible view
2. took the Jeep to a nearby beach to get some sun
3. took the free snorkeling tour included in our honeymoon package
4. had a private, romantic honeymoon dinner (see photo for the dessert!)
5. walked the short distance into town for shopping (although ended up not buying anything as it is all the same stuff, nothing unique. We spent our money on the Jeep instead).

We didn't take advantage of a lot of the activities they provided. They offered crafts, towel folding classes, and water aerobics to name a few.

Our Favorite Things About Our Stay:
1. The honeymoon dinner -- simply amazing.
2. The food was not only presented very well, but tasted incredible. We read on Trip Advisor that other resorts had food that looked great but didn't taste good. Not the case here. It was all incredible. We ate like pigs :)
3. Room service was very fast and friendly.
4. The overall friendliness of the staff.
5. We had an incredible, breathtaking view. Room #527. I had called ahead and explained we were on our honeymoon, and they said they would take care of us. They certainly did!
6. We don't drink a lot at home, but the free drinks (included since it is all inclusive) were really nice. I wouldn't be able to tell you if they were watered down or not, but they tasted great to us. There is also an in-room fridge/liquor cabinet. Drink bottled water.
7. The variety of food. There are 4 restaurants on-site: authentic Mexican, Italian, Asian, and a grill/American outside.

General Comments:
This is not the most kid-friendly place. This is a romantic, intimate setting. The pool/outside area is pretty small compared to some of the larger resorts (there are two artificial beaches, but the main portion looks right over the water).
Talk to the "PR lady" to arrange your honeymoon dinner -- do this when you first get there so you can get the best day. Make sure you look at the weather, too!
Bring money for tips. Tipping is not required, but they definitely earned it in our opinion.
Cozumel is known for its diving. We were completely ignorant of this fact when we went and didn't budget for going on dives or anything like that. Maybe next time.

We had a wonderful stay and would definitely recommend it for a honeymoon or romantic trip. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The staff and food.
  • Disliked — We didn't get to stay longer :) and not being picked up at the airport by the on-site travel company.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank kmully
Chico, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2007

My adult son and daughter in law are avid but amateur SCUBA enthusiasts so they asked to go to Cozumel this year. I booked one of the two two-bedroom suites for the Memorial Day weekend. Before we were through, we had four generations, my 84 year old mother, the two Grandmas (me and my daughter in law's mom) the two kids and their daughter Emily (10 1/2 months old). It was the best vacation we had ever been on. We were provided with a crib and a roll away for our rooms and the only hang up was having to call several times for the extra person robe (never did get the slippers) even though I had to pay on arrival for the extra person.

Great grandma snorkeled off the CP pier for the first time in her life and loved it, also snorkeled on the Glass Bottom boat tour which was a little strenuous for her but they picked her up and helped her in as soon as she got tired. I was concerned because she has both a hip and knee replacement but she did fine. I think it helped that we had practiced at home in a swimming pool first. We actually brought a wheel chair for her but only used it when we went downtown. (The resort will provide one for $10 per day) The central part of Cozumel around the Plaza is all walking and wheel chair friendly. By the way, I have never seen as many van taxis in one place as in Cozumel so getting one for all of us and the wheel chair and stroller was both easy and cheap.

The baby did fine too, being the center of attention of all the staff. They may not have known all our names but they knew hers after the first day. There was always a high chair soon after we got to a restaurant. She "swam" in the pool and enjoyed the small kids area with wading pool (actually too deep for her to sit in) and the swings. Another by the way--the double jacuzzi in the room made a great playpen to contain Emily when she wanted to crawl too far.

The grandmas and Great Grandma babysat in the early mornings when the kids did diving right off the resort. Tanks were $6 each at the resort. They did this several times and would come to the room with their pictures from the digital camera and upload to their laptop so all could see. Then on to late breakfast or brunch or whatever. The kids also did two boat dives. I had given them each a 2 tank dive with Deep Blue in town and they liked it so well they got another one. Each dive was in a different location with a beach rest between and fruit and water for refreshments. Deep Blue picked them up right on the Cozumel Palace pier each day. A two tank dive with guide was $65 each.

The food WAS a lot of buffet but it was good, plentiful and varied enough that we didn't get bored. The Mexican, Italian and Oriental style restaurants are a la carte for dinner and we enjoyed all of them. The buffet style outside grill dinner was absolutely great as other reviews have said. The steak was a little more well done than I would usually get, but the grilled fish was wonderful. I am NOT usually a fish eater but had this several times. One review said the bread tasted like sawdust, but if you buy breads and sweet breads in any bakery I have been to in Mexico, it ALL tastes like sawdust. Just like all the butter (Mantequia) you buy in the supermarkets tastes like it is half margarine. The resort uses either American or European butter--it tastes fine. Different culture, different flavors.

We went on one other tour beside the Glass Bottom boat: Chankanaab Park. The kids took their dive gear, Mom and I our snorkel gear. The place that Chaza Travel escorted us to was a VERY long walk. We didn't know this and we hadn't taken Mom's wheel chair or thought to get one of the special sand ones available at the park so Mom was totally exhausted by the time we got there. Then we found that the way into the water where we were was too difficult for her to navigate (big drop off of the steps in) so she didn't snorkel. The kids did a dive and it was guided. They enjoyed it very much. I managed to get in for snorkelling and it was really great, better than at the resort. There is a very easy way into the water much nearer the entrance but Mom was too tired to go back there. If you go on this tour with Chaza and have someone with walking difficulties, be sure to get one of the sand wheelchairs! Our guide had our return taxi come much nearer our location so we didn't have to walk far at all to go back.

I regret that we did not go on any other tours included with the week. If we go again, I will definitely get Mom to go to Tuluum, possibly even Coba. Although Chichen Itza is very impressive, it is really huge and requires a great deal of walking. Mom wanted to see ruins but we never did. A week is just too short to do everything.

Although we had some rainy days (June is the start of the rainy season after all) we were actually glad because no one got really sunburned until the sun was out for the Glass Bottom Boat tour. The other Grandma did get really burned in the boat. Fortunately the baby did not. Be sure to use your sunscreen all the time!

I would definitely go back to this resort again. I liked the size, location, staff and amenities. I wish the pool was bigger, but the ocean is RIGHT there so it really doesn't matter so much.

• Liked — We were able to get one of the two bedroom suites so had easy contact with all the family at one time
  • Disliked — The living room and one bedroom had steps inside the room. Not particularly good for a crawling baby or 84 yr old great grandma.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank catlady417
SEWELL,NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

highly recommend this hotel . food, service,accomodations were unbelieveable. one caution at the airport -keep walking until you find a taxi not a shuttle. they charged us $ 17 dollars a person when a cab actually cost $9 plus $ 1 for an extra person. also on arrival ,arrange your free passport excursions as they only go on certain days .

• Liked — beautiful
  • Disliked — nothing
1 Thank jwooley
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Palace from 6/23/07 to 6/30/07. The staff is extremely attentive, the grounds clean, the bedding and linens first rate, and all rooms are suites (which is great because it helps keep the walls from closing in when you are in the room). The tub was great! They keep the in room bar and beverages well stocked and part of the all inclusive package, which many resorts charge for. When ever we needed something, the staff was there in an instant. The food for all inclusive was better than average. It did need a few more choices, but we were not craving anything from home which is rare on vacation. Whomever is in charge of pasteries and desserts really knows their stuff; they were way above average. The resort is about a 15 minute walk to the center of town and the ferry terminal. This is good and bad. It's good in that you don't need a taxi for trip into town and very convenient to the shopping and nightlife, but bad in that it doesn't give you that "secluded island ambience". We dove alot and Aqua Safari, the on sight dive operator, is first rate. The resort while nice is a little small and could use another or a larger pool. The web makes it, (the resort) look larger and a little more modern than what it actually is. My wife figured out that this resort used to be part of the Oasis chain. Palace resorts took it over, refaced the front and back, and did some Palace updating; but you can still see the Oasis in the interior doors, bathrooms and interior skeleton. It does appear they are still in process of "palacizing" the whole resort. With that said, it is still a Palace resort and the staff gives you Palace treatment and the food is above average for all inclusive which makes me rate this at 4 stars. Not alot of ammenities for kids, and they do not have baby sitting for kids under 4. I would definitely go back, but not at the price we paid. I would return on a promotional package, but not on a full price booking as we did this time around as there were no promotional packages from our depature city when we booked. If you paid full price, don't worry, you won't be upset you did; but I would recommend waiting for a promotional package for this resort. Overall, a great place and a comfortable experience.

• Liked — Staff and service
  • Disliked — lack of day care for kids under 4. We left or kids at home as a result.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple